The 2019 Weight Loss Thread - Workout Check-in Thread

abudabi

Expert Member
And there goes my streak. Got sick on Sunday.. so no exercise for me. Also when I get sick, eating makes me feel better so obviously the diet is out the window too.

Oh well... just have to work a bit harder after I've recovered.

InvisibleJim

Honest question. How do you guys run such long distances?

Physically I understand and I will be able to as well. But mentally I get seriously bored and my mind starts to wander after about 1.5km.

Please understand I'm not knocking it at all and I know some people love it. But personally I struggle to stay focused/motivated/positive (not sure what the right word is) with such a monotonous task. And I've done my fair share of 5 - 6km runs. I always go back to weights and HIIT.
Personally, letting my mind wander while running is the reason I don't get bored. I just tend to switch off and think about whatever suits while I put one foot in front of the other. I prefer trail running though because I enjoy being out in the countryside, but even then I have to make a conscious effort to look up and take in the view.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Personally, letting my mind wander while running is the reason I don't get bored. I just tend to switch off and think about whatever suits while I put one foot in front of the other. I prefer trail running though because I enjoy being out in the countryside, but even then I have to make a conscious effort to look up and take in the view.
Thanks for the reply.

I haven't done any trails yet. Maybe I should try that out and see if the uneven terrain keeps me focused. And it will certainly be more intense than a jog in the neighborhood

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Honest question. How do you guys run such long distances?

Physically I understand and I will be able to as well. But mentally I get seriously bored and my mind starts to wander after about 1.5km.

Please understand I'm not knocking it at all and I know some people love it. But personally I struggle to stay focused/motivated/positive (not sure what the right word is) with such a monotonous task. And I've done my fair share of 5 - 6km runs. I always go back to weights and HIIT.
I guess people are just different I find running hard and free compared to picking things up and putting them back down again.

I get really bored at gym and just want to power through the exercises and get home and watch TV which unmotivates me.

The thing that gets me in running is you are running really well (e.g. 5 min) splits for 10km of 15km (your PB time) you can feel your body start to get tired but you have to keep pushing 5 mins per km for 5 more km's in order to achieve your goal. You mind is pushing your dead donkey body forward and your body is fighting to breath and move, at this point there is no boredom its absolute clarity and all that is pushing you is passion it really an indescribable feeling.

Although I do understand the gym your results aren't times they are 6 pack abs or huge biceps aswell as picking up a 200kg bar. For running all you get is sore knees and a skinny body for 10 times the effort.

APoc184

Honorary Master
I guess people are just different I find running hard and free compared to picking things up and putting them back down again.

I get really bored at gym and just want to power through the exercises and get home and watch TV which unmotivates me.

The thing that gets me in running is you are running really well (e.g. 5 min) splits for 10km of 15km (your PB time) you can feel your body start to get tired but you have to keep pushing 5 mins per km for 5 more km's in order to achieve your goal. You mind is pushing your dead donkey body forward and your body is fighting to breath and move, at this point there is no boredom its absolute clarity and all that is pushing you is passion it really an indescribable feeling.

Although I do understand the gym your results aren't times they are 6 pack abs or huge biceps aswell as picking up a 200kg bar. For running all you get is sore knees and a skinny body for 10 times the effort.
Indeed. Different people, different goals, different things making us stay focused, motivated/disciplined and certainly so many different ways to get fit.

No matter what my goals are (big biceps and 6 pack? Hell yeah!) I will always incorporate cardio into my fitness regime. I believe it carries over to weightlifting and just a better well being in general.

Checked my Garmin dashboard today and for the first time that I can remember and that I have been tracking, my resting heart rate is giving a reading of 55. Now that is not mind-blowingly low but for somebody my size and given where I have come from it is a big achievement for me. I was almost always averaging between 60-70.
And I mostly attribute that to all the sprint sessions and making a conscious effort to walk and move a lot more during office hours. Of course diet and all the shredded kilograms also help.

InvisibleJim

1563299081042.png

Single Kettlebell Flow Workout was a success:
Bent over row, single arm deadlift, single arm swing, high pull, clean squat, shoulder press, snatch, eccentric shoulder press (slowly down from snatch to rack position,) rear lunge, side lunge. Repeat other side.

Workout was 2 sets of 10 reps each side plus warm up and cool down. Made a nice change so I'll definitely do this type of workout again.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Extremely Stop/Start workout tonight because I had to take some disciplinary action against the kids a few times.

But I finished nonetheless. And hit PR on incline dumbell bench somehow.

Screenshot_20190717-195512_Connect.jpeg

dabean

Expert Member
I noticed a lateral pelvic tilt when I worked on form in front of the mirror last week. I spent the rest of the week working on it and my hip has finally loosened up. Thankfully the last of my out-toeing also went with it.

It’s still a bit sensitive so I’ll keep strengthening it before I get back to full speed.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Came home much later today due to work issues.

On the drive home I said fckit, will exercise tomorrow again.
As I got dressed I said fckit again, grabbed my running outfit and decided I WILL NOT SKIP A NIGHT.

So glad I did. Hit my highest speed ever! Stoked and still out of breath.

Screenshot_20190723-181739_Connect.jpeg

InShot_20190723_182333906.jpeg

dabean

Expert Member
My preferred method of PT is getting drunk and dancing in front of a mirror for 3 hours.

Anti-social.

I know, I’m working on it.