The 2019 Weight Loss Thread - Workout Check-in Thread

Aharon

Executive Member
Is anyone else's garmin workout sitting in points not calculated on discovery?

APoc184

Honorary Master
Heavy leg session to kick off the weekend...

Garmin showing old age now. Getting HR readings wrong more often than not. Pondering upgrade or trying the chest strap again.

Screenshot_20190726-194609_Connect.jpeg

dabean

Expert Member
The double Comrades thing is actually training for the Leadville 100 (100 mile footrace).

I live at around 1400m altitude. Leadville’s lowest point is around double that and the highest is 3800m.

You climb a mountain twice. Over it, down the other side, on for a bit. Then you turn around and do it again.

There are people at the bar who try and drink for the two days or so it takes for someone to finish.

I think I’ve found my people.

If I can’t run two Comrades in a row I’ll never be able to finish Leadville. Not saying I’ll do it on the first go but that’s what I’m training for.

dabean

Expert Member
Still working on strengthening my hip and straightening my spine.

I remember that it had an S bend when they did my epidural. At the time I thought it must be from carrying my school bag in my right hand all the time.

I hadn’t really thought about it but my wife confirmed it was still there. I’d rather sort that out before putting it under more stress.

5 am yoga (Yoga Camp with Adrienne), 3km 30 minute walk at lunch (averaging 100bpm heart rate). High knees in front of the mirror in the evening to sort out my hips. I’ll always watch my form from now on when possible. Shadows work too.

Still doing 10 pull ups a day (mostly, sometime more). Sets of two, neutral grip, walking between I-beams at the work car port because I hate counting. I touch each ear and try to make each set look the same.

Oh and I run around the house barefoot and dance with a cat on my shoulders. That’s the most fun.

InvisibleJim

1564510135052.png
Feet elevated pike pushups, tricep dips, some work on the hips and hamstrings with the heavy resistance band and then chin ups to finish.

APoc184

Honorary Master
I'm out of action for a few days. Picked up a very nasty cough over the weekend and thought it might go away if I skip Sunday and Monday.

No luck. Doc confirmed upper respiratory tract infection today. Banned from physical activity for the rest of the week until course of meds finished.

Keep going guys!

InvisibleJim

I'm out of action for a few days. Picked up a very nasty cough over the weekend and thought it might go away if I skip Sunday and Monday.

No luck. Doc confirmed upper respiratory tract infection today. Banned from physical activity for the rest of the week until course of meds finished.

Keep going guys!
Get well soon. A few days will go by quickly and you'll be back on it before you know it.

Emjay

Executive Member
What happened to the bodybuilders thread? Seems to have died. :crying:

Hoping some of you guys can help me out. I am giving my swim/bike/run activities a rest. This is due to a number of reasons. I just need to do something different, and having more free time on the weekends would be awesome. I want to take the next year to build some more strength and muscle, which will be great for my swim/bike/run later on (not to mention aesthetics).

I have a coach to help me with planning and training load for my big events. So, I really like having a plan telling me to do x this number of times, on this day. I looked at Bodybuilding.com and I see they changed their plans completely. I tried to pay for a plan, but multiple cards get rejected. I just don't have the inclination to try troubleshoot the issues. Do you guys have any other recommendations for training plans? I am good on nutrition as I have a dietitian already. Happy to use an app or website.

Last edited:

InvisibleJim

What happened to the bodybuilders thread? Seems to have died. :crying:

Hoping some of you guys can help me out. I am giving my swim/bike/run activities a rest. This is due to a number of reasons. I just need to do something different, and having more free time on the weekends would be awesome. I want to take the next year to build some more strength and muscle, which will be great for my swim/bike/run later on (not to mention aesthetics).

I have a coach to help me with planning and training load for my big events. So, I really like having a plan telling me to do x this number of times, on this day. I looked at Bodybuilding.com and I see they changed their plans completely. I tried to pay for a plan, but multiple cards get rejected. I just don't have the inclination to try troubleshoot the issues. Do you guys have any other recommendations for training plans? I am good on nutrition as I have a dietitian already. Happy to use an app or website.
Have a look through the programs at Darebee.com and see if there's anything there that suits you. Lots of other resources on the site.

I also like https://gmb.io/ - I haven't tried any of their paid programs yet but they have some good free resources also.

InvisibleJim

So I'm going to do 200 push ups a day for every day in August with a colleague at the office. Starting with 5 sets of 10, 4 times per day, 30 seconds rest between each set. Might as well log each micro workout here as I go!

5am 5x10 completed
10.45 am 5x10 completed
2.15pm 5x 10 completed
5pm 5x 10 completed

Last edited:

InvisibleJim

Gaining weight is easier compared to loosing weight, It can take a number of month to loose one kg
Gaining weight as in increasing body fat is certainly easy if you don't adhere to a healthy diet most of the time. Even a week of throwing caution to the wind can see a gain of 3kg or so very easily. On the other hand if you have lot of weight to lose, you can easily lose a +/- kilo per week consistently for some time by adopting good eating habits. Of course as you approach your ideal weight or if you don't have much to lose in the first place, it gets harder to shed that extra 1 or 2 kilos.

Gaining weight as in building muscle mass tends to be harder as it requires combination of correct exercise and attention to your diet to support muscle development. During the weight loss process and generally as we become older, we will tend to lose some muscle mass so it is actually important for maintaining good health to pay some attention to this even if we aren't bodybuilders.

Diet is the prime mover in terms of successful body fat loss but exercise is necessary for maintaining muscle mass and a whole host of other health benefits. Initial and sustained success is all down to adopting healthy habits for both diet and exercise.

InvisibleJim

Day 3
200 pushups done. 4 micro workouts, 5 sets of 10.

Getting a little challenging towards the end of each micro workout but upper body muscles involved are feeling quite pumped.

4x5x10 should be good for building muscle but I will see how we go through the month and might mix things up a bit for strength or muscular endurance.