The 2019 Weight Loss Thread - Workout Check-in Thread

APoc184

Honorary Master
Relaxed core session. Actually did more volume but I rested longer between sets. Wife was chatting away about her day at work.

Screenshot_20190813-190546_Connect.jpeg

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
1565719490815.png
Body weight workout tonight but mixed in a couple of new exercises - tricep dips, sideways squat, pull-ups, crab walk, bear crawl, windscreen wipers and raised leg bridges for 3 sets. Followed by a couple of wall handstands and frog stands. 5 minute jog then cooldown and stretch.

APoc184

Honorary Master
how are you guys so effing motivated!!!!
Not motivated. Disciplined.

I have a goal I really want to achieve and the only way I will achieve that is by staying disciplined. Diet and workout.

Motivation and newbie gains can only take you so far. When the changes really start to slow down after all those big first losses/gains it is only disciplined and will power to reach that next goal that will keep you going.

Problem is, I find my goal posts shifting further and further every damn time I reach a set goal. :D

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
lol :) I used to be like you, life happened (it used to be part of life, then it somehow became an obstruction), trying to get back there
At one point, being fit and healthy seemed to me to be something that would never be possible for me and I think it is like that for a lot of people. In the end, it only took a small nudge at the right time to overcome my own insincere objections to do what I already knew I should be doing.

If you have succeeded before, you are ahead of the game. Even if you regress, you retain the learning from previous attempts and you know what is possible. The more you try, the more likely you are to succeed in a sustainable manner.

APoc184

Honorary Master
At one point, being fit and healthy seemed to me to be something that would never be possible for me and I think it is like that for a lot of people. In the end, it only took a small nudge at the right time to overcome my own insincere objections to do what I already knew I should be doing.

If you have succeeded before, you are ahead of the game. Even if you regress, you retain the learning from previous attempts and you know what is possible. The more you try, the more likely you are to succeed in a sustainable manner.
Gotta agree 100% here.

WARNING: Long post incoming,
TLDR; It takes a lot less time to get back in shape/healthy than it did to get out of shape/unhealthy.

Once you see how easy it is to actually lose the weight and how quick you actually get fitter and fitter once you start pushing yourself a bit, only then do you realise how much longer it took to actually get to the point where you are unhappy about your physical appearance and your health in general.

So much junk food, so many hours of sitting in front of the TV, so many new clothes, and and and...

Looking back at photos I can clearly see I was still relatively okay in terms of health and weight about 11 years ago. The 2 years before our wedding I can clearly see in my photos that things started going south. It was only 5 years later at my brother's wedding where I needed to buy a brand new best man outfit because nothing would fit and seeing the photos afterwards made it sink in even more. Final straw was when my daughter started walking and I literally couldn't keep up with her for more than 10min before being out of breath.

Actually started reading up about Keto/Banting/LCHF eating on this very forum and in less than a year I went down from 115kg to about 85kg. From a size 40 pants and XXL shirt to 34 pants and L shirt.
Started feeling better about myself, started getting so much compliments about my new look and weight loss. So much more energy! So much better sleep! Less achy knees and back! Many more positives.
I did go down as low as 79kg at some point but started looking a bit "sickish" because of lack of muscle.

So naturally the next step was to incorporate some exercise. Started watching endless Youtube videos and reading up on programs and exercises. Got some weights, bar, dumbbell and a bench off Gumtree and today, after 4years + of grinding it out, I am wearing size 32 pants, I fill a large shirt pretty damn well, I have a visible abs and I tip the scale at about 95kg. Haven't looked and felt better about myself, EVER!
Don't be fooled. There have been many ups and downs, many failures and successes along the way and many different methods tried out. But I learnt something during each and every week of exercising and eating right and also during the weeks not exercising and eating like crap.

The long and the short of the story is it took me about 7 years of not worrying about my health and appearance to get to the point of despising myself. But it took less than a year of just eating correctly to get down to a skinny but healthy weight. The fitness and muscle gains part obviously takes way longer but my oh my are they worth every drop of sweat and aching muscle. About 4 years in my case. Could have been 2 if I knew all I know now. But no regrets. Learned a lot about fitness/health and about myself as a person. Stronger physically and mentally.

I just wish media would stop pushing this "Summer body in 12 weeks" type of crap. Unless you are using roids or have godly genetics or a previous history of summer body.... IT'S JUST IS NOT POSSIBLE!!! Have to work for it, have to be consistent, have to be disciplined, have to give up some stuff in life.

Sorry for long post. Just felt like sharing and hope all makes sense. Typed it all out while trying to eat my chicken and cheese omelette.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Back on topic and checking in.

Hot diggity damn! USN rep stuffed some pre workout sample into wife's hand when she got me so creatine at Dischem today.

Thought what the hell and took it 30min before tonight's session.

Blasted through my workout, did extra set on almost all exercises and even reduced resting time between sets.

But haven't felt my heart trying to climb out of my chest like that before. Stuff made me kinda anxious even though I felt like I was in beast mode.

Screenshot_20190814-203524_Connect.jpeg

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Sorry for long post.
Thanks for sharing your story. Maybe someone lurking on this thread will read it and get the 'Aha!' moment that inspires them to their own journey.

Final straw was when my daughter started walking and I literally couldn't keep up with her for more than 10min before being out of breath.
This also resonates wih me. Becoming a father at 39 was also a big incentive to make changes - I wanted to be able to set a good example to my daughter and also be able to instill a sense of adventure in her and to be able to take her hiking, climbing, diving or whatever and keep up.

Now I also have a 19 month old son who will matriculate when I am 63 so there is no going back now :)