The 2019 Weight Loss Thread - Workout Check-in Thread

InvisibleJim

back in the saddle but suff-er-ing. let the reigns slip a bit. working my way.

what solutions do you guys use during busy periods. do you schedule sessions in your calendar? i will have to find a solution to workouts and busy periods.
Generally my workout times are fairly sacrosanct - from the beginning it has been a cardinal rule that I don't miss a workout unless I have to.

If you are time limited, you can still identify what times you might have available to workout and stick to them. Depending on your goals, you don't necessarily need to spend a lot of time working out to achieve results. In fact, rest and recovery are a necessary part of the cycle and if you train too frequently at too high an intensity

A template I have loosely followed for maintaining a good level of general everyday fitness (from Mark Sissons Primal Blueprint) is:
  • Lift Heavy Things (30-60 minutes Strength Training twice per week)
  • Move slowly Often (walk for 2-3 hours per week. Can be 30 minutes per day or a 3 hour hike/walsk around the Mall on a weekend)
  • Sprint Occasionally (Short intense workout once every 10-14 days for +- 20 Mins. Could be Sprints or a HIIT workout
  • Play (play with your friends/family/kids, have a game of soccer, touch rugby, frisbee etc. just do something fun and active)
This is a good starting point for general fitness. If you have specific fitness, health or sporting goals you might need to make adjustments in line with these.

Other Strategies that you might consider:
  • Microworkouts - Just do a little throughout the day whenever you can. Check Darebee.com daily dares for inspiration.
  • HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training. Short intense workouts that can be completed within 20 -30 minutes including warmup and cooldown
  • My own experience is that I generally burn the same calories in 30 minute/5k run as I do in most 1 hour gym sessions so I sometimes choose a 5k run versus a workout for time reasons
  • If you are unable to exercise, put extra effort into making sure that your diet and nutrition is on point.
Hope that helps

EDIT: I meant to include favouring bodyweight exercises saves time - you can get a quick workout in wherever you are without the need to find a gym or any special equipment.

Last edited:

Snyper564

Expert Member
Weights in the morning
Cardio in the night
On top of that around 6000 steps
Is that over exceriscing?

I have checked Google and it says it is.

Made a thread also if so I really need to stop so much.
As discussed there an apple, nartjie and cheese sandwich as your entire food intake for the day IS NOT ENOUGH!

Please for the love of mankind eat properly.

You are not even meeting your daily basal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate with that food let alone training as well!

APoc184

Honorary Master
Thursday and Friday was chaotic at work. Did 15k+ steps on each day and most of those steps while busy carrying heavy stuff. Absolutely spent in the evening and decided to stay out of gym for fear of injury.

Got back in yesterday afternoon and was absolutely amazed at how much those two days took out of me physically.

Had to do the roll of shame on my last set of bench press. Just couldn't lift it off my chest. Felt like triceps failing. Wife tried to help but even together we couldn't get it re-racked. Did the roll off shame, took a 15min breather to regather my thoughts and eventually pushed through with the rest of the routine.

Probably just stick to a casual sprint session today and go full steam ahead on Monday again.

Screenshot_20190825-072644_Connect.jpeg

Edit. Using the Cardio tracking setting on the new Garmin because it keeps trying to track reps and sets in the strength training setting. And I prefer using JeFit app for all my logging.

InvisibleJim

are you just banging out like 8 sets of 25 kinda thing or breaking them up in bits?
I've just stuck to 5 sets of 10 reps with 30 seconds rest between sets four times per day. No particular objective in mind other than to do 200 per day for the month.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
I've just stuck to 5 sets of 10 reps with 30 seconds rest between sets four times per day. No particular objective in mind other than to do 200 per day for the month.
nice! between me trying to get my head right I am going to try get back on the pushups train
day 1 - 25/15/9/4 = 53