The 2019 Weight Loss Thread - Workout Check-in Thread

APoc184

Honorary Master
Seems I'll be stuck at the office until late tonight.

We have a vehicle stuck for repairs right underneath our roller shutter door. And the spare shop dropped the wrong part. Driver is heading to Pretoria North now for correct part.

Pull ups and push ups it will be for me too tonight in the office.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Home 15min ago.

Lolz at the mechanic waiting with me saying he will keep up.

He managed 3 pull ups before saying fck this!
At least he got to 2 x sets of 10 pushups before quitting.

At least he admitted that he is seriously unfit and will make a conscious effort to improve. I told him all is well but he needs to fix his diet as well. Burgers and milkshakes every other day are not helping.

Pull up is a humbling exercise. Frustrating, but very humbling.

Anyway. Grinded out about 5 sets of 10 x pull ups. Admittedly kipping quite a bit on the final reps of the last 2 sets.

I didn't really count push ups. 4 x sets until failure. Between 40 and 25 each set.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Day 8 pushups - 20/20/20/14/6 = 80

you would think it gets easier, but i think the muscle fatigue just doesnt get a chance to wear off...wonder how good it is for you to actually do this everyday (i.e the same exercise with no 2 day rest gap)

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Day 8 pushups - 20/20/20/14/6 = 80

you would think it gets easier, but i think the muscle fatigue just doesnt get a chance to wear off...wonder how good it is for you to actually do this everyday (i.e the same exercise with no 2 day rest gap)
Muscles/tendons in my left shoulder are still a little tender following my efforts in August so I agree there is something in what you are saying there. The five sets of ten for each micro workout was in itself getting a little challenging to complete. I felt I would be hard pushed to bang out much more than 25 in one set versus my not too long ago PB of low 50's. When I feel sufficiently recovered, I will have a go at one set to failure and see where I am.

If one had a particular goal such as 50/100 pushups in one go or if you wanted to improve strength/muscle/muscular endurance, it would be more effective to vary the intensity of your efforts and include recovery/low intensity days in your cycle.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Muscles/tendons in my left shoulder are still a little tender following my efforts in August so I agree there is something in what you are saying there. The five sets of ten for each micro workout was in itself getting a little challenging to complete. I felt I would be hard pushed to bang out much more than 25 in one set versus my not too long ago PB of low 50's. When I feel sufficiently recovered, I will have a go at one set to failure and see where I am.

If one had a particular goal such as 50/100 pushups in one go or if you wanted to improve strength/muscle/muscular endurance, it would be more effective to vary the intensity of your efforts and include recovery/low intensity days in your cycle.
yeah I am considering ditching the daily goal and subbing in a day of squats/crunches between.

i have been completely skipping gym, not that i was religiously going before... but i definitely feel like my upper body is more pumped again

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
yeah I am considering ditching the daily goal and subbing in a day of squats/crunches between.

i have been completely skipping gym, not that i was religiously going before... but i definitely feel like my upper body is more pumped again
My fitness goal for 2017 was around participating (note for the challenge,not competing!) in a number of obstacle course races. I focused quite a lot on push-ups and pull-ups to build upper body strength and my experience between the first event of the year and the last was quite marked in terms of how difficult it felt to complete the same course.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
My fitness goal for 2017 was around participating (note for the challenge,not competing!) in a number of obstacle course races. I focused quite a lot on push-ups and pull-ups to build upper body strength and my experience between the first event of the year and the last was quite marked in terms of how difficult it felt to complete the same course.
To be clear, are you saying it became easier or harder?

APoc184

Honorary Master
the dedication is real :D
Won't lie. This week was tough because I completely fell off the wagon last week in terms of diet. Feeling bloated, inflamed and lethargic because of that I also skipped a whole week of exercise.

Binge eating on all crap in sight and then some more is not recommended at all. But I don't regret or beat myself up about it. **** happens and kids seemed to enjoy all the eating out and ice cream specifically.

Just straight back at it this whole week.