The Banting/LCHF Thread

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
are bran smoothies banting friendly?

Touch of bran powder and a touch of psyllium husk with a handful of berries, toasted almonds and full fat greek yogurt ...... maybe not 109% banting friendly but not far from it. I like good poops too, lol

Deep78

Expert Member
Friday tip from me: Woolworths Liver and onion spread. Reasonable, ingredient safe and AWESOME on top of the RMR seed crackers.

anyone know where i can find good crackers ? need something to crunch on.

Deep78

Expert Member
i have a question ... are there non carb foods that cause insulin release? if so where can i find a list?

FlashSA

Executive Member
anyone know where i can find good crackers ? need something to crunch on.

Make yourself - not hard at all. My wife uses pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, some psyllium husk and water. Spread on a baking tray (use wax paper so it doesn't stick) and bake at 180 for about 45mins

Deep78

Expert Member
Make yourself - not hard at all. My wife uses pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, some psyllium husk and water. Spread on a baking tray (use wax paper so it doesn't stick) and bake at 180 for about 45mins

will try ... this way i can add chilli and salt as well :}

iCyber

Banned
http://www.sabreakingnews.co.za/2015/03/06/the-bane-of-banting/

Banting is for people who exercise.

That singular fact proves that anyone who has considered Banting as the lazy quick fix alternative is wrong, and should eat a sandwich immediately.

Though Banting has been trending with the pressured waifs of tinsel town for just longer than a year, the craze is very recent in South Africa, and like most things, it arrived with it’s own buffet of misconceptions.

Experts (Any dietitian worth their weight) will implore desperate dieters to steer clear of fads, and instead employ a balanced diet that includes all the food groups, including carbs.

It’s no secret that people stop reading as soon as they hear balanced diet, as we live in a society obsessed with instant gratification. But that is exactly the problem. If the results are instant, they aren’t lasting.

So what are the facts?

Banting is not just the absence of Carbohydrates.

The diet also condemns any sugars or grains.

Sugar, (Refined or natural)gives you energy. Essentially this cuts out most luxuries, but also most fruits and some vegetables that make up your daily recommended nutrients. So, consider Banting for two weeks. Once your body has depleted it’s reserve resources, it is going to make up for lost time by cravings, and then storing up excess sugar that you may not be able to burn off.

Grains are what promote healthy digestive systems.

No grains, less bowel movements.

Less bowel movements means an increase or backlog of faeces in the digestive tract. No explanation is needed to why that’s gross.. and very dangerous.

Constipation and straining when using the toilet causes bleeding in the digestive tract and in extreme (and not so extreme cases) causes cancer.

Now, This article is not saying that Banting will cause cancer, or kill you… It is merely promoting dieting responsibly, using the guidelines of a specific diet, while merging it with common sense.

Most importantly, any diet, without regular exercise, will not work.

Weight loss is the input of calories being less than the energy expenditure of the person trying to lose weight.

This does not sound very healthy

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I'm also on LCHF and the constipation is an issue for me. The energy we know comes from the animal fat and it lasts longer than what a carb diet will give you.

You can eat fibre on a low carb diet, no problem at all.

I'm also on LCHF and the constipation is an issue for me. The energy we know comes from the animal fat and it lasts longer than what a carb diet will give you.

Right, so what I've seen, if you are constipated you have two problems most likely. 1, too much meat. 2, not enough water.

RanzB

Honorary Master
Cool. This I didn't know. Shall be upping the intake on these.
Think I must cut coffee out or maybe limit to one cup a day.

Even two a day is fine, but you need to drink a kakload more water.