Traffic fine while Wheel Clamped

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Nope you parked there first. The traffic dept. won't care that Century City prevented you from avoiding a fine, you still did the "crime" first then came the clamp in their eyes. Sorry.
If they had moved your vehicle yes but as was said, you did the offence first.

stroller

Expert Member
If public has access to a area deemed to be private property such as a shopping mall, petrol station or gated community then the National Road Traffic Act applies.
In such instances spietkops have every right to issue fines or prosecute.
Often see these palookas checking licence discs.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
"Parked vehicle in such a manner as to encroach on the sidewalk"

I have photos showing that I'm not encroaching on the sidewalk, complete with big red lines showing I'm not.
If you aren't in the road or parking bay, then you are be default on the sidewalk or beyond. Makes sense.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
If public has access to a area deemed to be private property such as a shopping mall, petrol station or gated community then the National Road Traffic Act applies.
Yoh I did not know that. Now I know.

qscwbt

Expert Member
You parked where you where not supposed to park. I do not see that it is designated as a parking. Just pay up. It looks like you parked in a pedestrian crossing.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
I believe the traffic officers have no jurisdiction on private property such as Century City.

Which is why wheel clamping is a thing in the first place as they take the law into their own hands and even that has questionable legality.
Century City has their own traffic police assigned to the area. So you are incorrect.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
As I have it, when police have access to said private road or property (e.g. parking area) then it is deemed as a public space. You can always have this tested in the courts…

Generally, when there are a closed gate or boom, or access control in general, then it is deemed as a private space.

I have also experienced that when clamped vehicles are moved on private property, or within a gated community, by the owners to do so under police supervision (or approval).

Found this,

https://soundcloud.com/primediabroadcasting%2Fissuing-fines-on-private-property
but it is the CoCT being right, all of the time...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Century City has their own traffic police assigned to the area. So you are incorrect.
I see now from the photo that it did in fact take place on public roads.

At first it sounded like it was in the parking lot of Canal Walk.

So then I have to question why it was being wheel clamped in the first place.

riverdusty

Well then honestly what the **** were you expecting to happen?
I was expecting nothing to happen.
As a biker I always park in these little nooks and crannies. Lots of bikers do.
in 5 years of doing so this is the only time I've ever had this experience.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I was expecting nothing to happen.
As a biker I always park in these little nooks and crannies. Lots of bikers do.
in 5 years of doing so this is the only time I've ever had this experience.
A pedestrian walk way isn’t a nook nor a cranny.

It’s a place for people to walk.

riverdusty

A pedestrian walk way isn’t a nook nor a cranny.

It’s a place for people to walk.
I was off to the side of where the walkway joined pavement. I wasn't parked in the pedestrian crossing or right in front of where it joined. I was out of the way of it to a side where it joined

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I was off to the side of where the walkway joined pavement. I wasn't parked in the pedestrian crossing or right in front of where it joined. I was out of the way of it to a side where it joined
So basically you forced people to walk in square lines as if they were robots instead of naturally where they normally would.

Sorry mate but you are 100% in the wrong here and it's a bit twatish to park there.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
You were parked illegally. Park in a designated motorcycle parking bay or area next time.

Then none of this would have happened.

genetic

Honorary Master
I believe the traffic officers have no jurisdiction on private property such as Century City.

Which is why wheel clamping is a thing in the first place as they take the law into their own hands and even that has questionable legality.
Century City is NOT private property. All roads in and around Century City are owned and policed by the City of Cape Town.

Last edited:

riverdusty

You were parked illegally. Park in a designated motorcycle parking bay or area next time.

Then none of this would have happened.
No motorcycle bays there.
Also, hardly any parking anyway.
each building has about 4 guest parking bays, which are almost always full.

riverdusty

That photo of your bike parked should be on this page: https://www.facebook.com/YouParkLikeAPoes/
I parked like every other biker. Also, while I was there other bikers parked in similar spaces.
Its usually considered a quirk of being a biker.

My issue is with the wheel clamping within minutes of my stopping there.
20 minutes later I was ready to leave, but couldn't. When I tried to argue the point it took them so long to respond a traffic officer came along and issued a fine.