Upgrade time

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
Hi all,

I'm embarrassed to say that I have completely lost touch with the cellular phone market. And it has come time for a new phone.

I want a smart phone. Been looking at the HTC Hero and the iPhone 3gs.

Last two phones were Sony Ericsson and I've been very happy. However, at this stage the motivating factor was the walkman.

What other options except for the two mentioned above should I consider?

What operating system gives the most freedom? I like the idea that with the 3gs I could install GPS software.

Thanks for any guidance/suggestions/warning.

Last edited:

Maddmatt

Expert Member
Nokia 5800 XtremeMusic is worth considering. Just got one myself and I love it.
Previous phone was a Sony Ericsson K800i which served me well for over two years.

Izak Eloff

Android gives you all the freedom you've ever wanted without any hassles! It's fast and the applications are simply amazing, when you put something like Sense UI on top of that you get your own personal HERO!!... I know this is not another option like you asked for but you pretty much got it right in the second line that you typed :D

rodga

Executive Member
Hi all,

I'm embarrassed to say that I have completely lost touch with the cellular phone market. And it has come time for a new phone.

I want a smart phone. Been looking at the HTC Hero and the iPhone 3gs.

Last two phones were Sony Ericsson and I've been very happy. However, at this stage the motivating factor was the walkman.

What other options except for the two mentioned above should I consider?

What operating system gives the most freedom? I like the idea that with the 3gs I could install GPS software.

Thanks for any guidance/suggestions/warning.
i think your best bet would be the hero, especially for customisation/apps
from wat i heard its pretty awesome, but i only need to upgrade in a years time so dont really have much to add

Saajid

Expert Member
Visit www.gmsarena.com, and browse around for the phone's you're interested in. They've got full specs on almost all phones, good reviews, lots of pictures (both screenshots from the phone, and of the phone itself), and 360 degree views of the phone.

GSM Arena should be your first stop for deciding on a new phone.

crazy_cat

the deciding factor for me, also between the hero the 3gs, was the fact the hero was more intuitive to use the first time i picked it up....

granted the 3gs was faster, sleeker and sexier looking it also was R1400 more than the hero (payin on a talk120s) - at the end of the day its still freakin phone!!

kvi

Expert Member
xperia x10 will only be released with android 1.6 (with 2.1 being released later by SE, which could take them months)
whereas all htc android phones from now will have 2.1

Sky_3G

Be careful of phones supplied by Leaf. They are unable to manage the ROM upgrades... so the app stor (and you phone) will be pretty much useless once the new ROM version comes out...