US Election 2020 - Pt 2

buka001

Executive Member
I think Cy Vance should stand in front of teevee cameras and announce the financial charges he’ll be bringing against Donald J Trump... oh, maybe eleven days before folk go to the polls.

Yes.

Eleven days exactly.
What it does do though is it gives Trump an out.

If he doesn't win the re-election, this will probably go away. See less scrutiny etc.

So if he does lose, there will be less chance he will make a fuss of losing and fighting that loss with his usual BS and just go gently into the night.

greg0205

Honorary Master
What it does do though is it gives Trump an out.

If he doesn't win the re-election, this will probably go away. See less scrutiny etc.

So if he does lose, there will be less chance he will make a fuss of losing and fighting that loss with his usual BS and just go gently into the night.
The Vance ruling, in particular, bumps the odds of one Donald J Trump being prosecuted way, way, way up.

Much like our dear leader uJacob, after he leaves 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Donnie will never know a day where he isn't in court or fighting to stay out of court.

That started today.

Billy Barr's DOJ memo is his castle keep... He's going to lose his mind and chain himself to the Resolute Desk if he loses in November.

greg0205

Honorary Master
I’m not understanding this ruling.
Is the Supreme Court not stacked with biased conservative judges who will protect Trump?
Thoughts and prayers.

So sorry the SC ruled based on law and precedent rather than partisan conservative ideology.

In lieu of flowers, can I make a donation to planned parenthood in your name?

buka001

Executive Member
What would be extremely funny would be if it was a complete nothing-burger and his finances reveal pretty much nothing that we don't already know.
It would, but it is unusual the lengths at which he has gone to keep them hidden and his reaction to this judgement definitely shows he is worried about something.

Biden has been releasing his for decades. All other presidents have been doing so since Nixon.

He is the first one since to have an issue with it.

Perhaps, for him in a best case scenario, it is just a case of he doesn't want his false facade of being a brilliant businessman to be brought down. At worst it shows evidence of actual crimes, which the NY Times deep dive into his tax affairs does suggest.

lumeer

Expert Member
What would be extremely funny would be if it was a complete nothing-burger and his finances reveal pretty much nothing that we don't already know.
I suspect that indeed everything about the state of his finances is already in the public domain. For example, it's well known in some circles that he isn't nearly as wealthy as he claims to be, and probably isn't really a billionaire. However, if his financial statements are released by his accounting firm, then it's "official", while at the moment it's still rumour and gossip.

lumeer

Expert Member
It would, but it is unusual the lengths at which he has gone to keep them hidden and his reaction to this judgement definitely shows he is worried about something.
It reminds me of how he often boasts that he was top in his class at the prestigious Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, yet had threatened the University of Pennsylvania with litigation should his academic record ever be leaked. This is especially ironic considering that he used to challenge Obama to release his academic records.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Fox are carrying Joe's jobs address live... All of it.

He's hitting every note.

Every. Single. One.

cerebus

Honorary Master

'Devastated': As Layoffs Keep Coming, Hopes Fade That Jobs Will Return Quickly

From airlines to paper mills, the job news is grim, and there are growing signs it won't be getting better anytime soon. On Thursday, the Labor Department reported nearly 2.4 million new applications for state and federal unemployment benefits last week.

And United Airlines is warning that it may have to furlough as many as 36,000 employees this fall. Demand for air travel has collapsed as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

The president of the flight attendants union called the warning a "gut punch" but also "the most honest assessment we've seen on the state of the industry — and our entire economy."

Union President Sara Nelson tweeted that demand for air travel had recovered a small fraction of its pre-pandemic levels this summer and "even those minimal gains evaporated over the last week due to surging COVID-19 cases across the country."

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Yep, not good for the US either way. Biden would only be less not good.
Apropos of nothing:

Obama inherited the great recession from W and Bill had to clean up H.W's mess... If Joe wins, he'll be the third Democratic POTUS in a row who'll need to fix a Republican fsckup.

In case you're wondering why this happens, I'mma help you out...

It's so Republicans in opposition can whine about the deficit... which they will, in spite of having blown it up... but mostly it's to break the bank so Democrats can't spend money on expanding entitlements and protections.

I'm hoping Covid has broken this cycle, 'cos it's BS, top to bottom.
This will be vital.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill

Biden has been releasing his for decades. All other presidents have been doing so since Nixon.

He is the first one since to have an issue with it.

Perhaps, for him in a best case scenario, it is just a case of he doesn't want his false facade of being a brilliant businessman to be brought down. At worst it shows evidence of actual crimes, which the NY Times deep dive into his tax affairs does suggest.
Also, he actually promised to release them, aeons ago.

He's literally golfed a full year of his presidency.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
There's a perception that Biden did particularly badly in the Democratic debates but I don't think that is true. There were some times he was weak, of course, but in some others, he put in an "above average" performance. Just remember he did win the Democratic nomination after all.

Some evidence: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...debate-march-winner-who-won-coronavirus-biden

Thing is, though - he's never been a rally candidate. That's just not his thing, and no one really cares because it's not all that important.

Yelling at people who already like you for 3 hours doesn't do much.

Also, there's a big own goal lurking here by the Trump campaign. If you constantly claim Biden is a senile, doddering fool who can't speak without drooling - what happens when you've got the debates and he... isn't that?

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Attorney General William Barr persistently pressured Manhattan's former top federal prosecutor to resign during a June 18 meeting at a New York hotel and in a subsequent phone call, the ousted prosecutor, Geoffrey Berman told lawmakers Thursday, detailing for the first time the series of events that led to his removal the next day.
Berman writes that after he signaled to Barr that he would not resign and would need to be forced out, Barr "added that getting fired from my job would not be good for my resume or future job prospects."
"Nice career prospects you got there... be a shame if anything happened to them..."