USB Wifi Adapter (Kali Linux)

SBSP

You need to figure out which chipset supports all features required by kali, then buy based on chipset.

In the days of backtrack, Atheros based chipsets were supported. Other chipsets were also supported but could for instance couldnot work with hostap.

Zipkoppie

I went to my local mall this weekend and bought every USB wifi adapter I could find so I could help you guys out.
The only one that supported injection was the netis 300Mbps wireless N USB adapter (Model No. WF2123) I got from matrix warehouse for R190.
https://technomania.co.za/product/netis-wf2123-300mbps-wireless-usb-adapter/?utm_source=Click&utm_medium=Channel&utm_campaign=PriceCheck_ZA&SFDRREF=SFDR_143651523

I'll keep buying and testing any wifi adapters I can find and keep this thread updated.
None of the new tp-link adapters I tested supported injection.

soulsmile

Thanks!

That's going beyond the call of duty :cool::cool::cool:

Can you confirm it has the correct chipset for with Kali or which chipset it has?

Thanks!

Zipkoppie

Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town.

I can confirm that it works on Kali including injection. It uses the Realtek 8 series chipset and the rtl8xxxu driver under Kali.

Last edited:

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
I once read about a usb wifi adapter that can scan and inject, a very large area, but I mean like further than 1km. Anyone know what Im talking about as I forgot the name?

DMNknight

Expert Member
A word of warning on the Pi and USB adapters. Power consumption on the port may be an issue and the wifi card will tank when the Pi shuts down power to USB to protect itself.

fernandoblazin

A word of warning on the Pi and USB adapters. Power consumption on the port may be an issue and the wifi card will tank when the Pi shuts down power to USB to protect itself.
yep but find out what is the power consumption at peak usage of card before pairing with RPi

DMNknight

Expert Member
A fair comment, IF any of the documentation you run into (primarily aircack) mentioned that power supply may be an issue for USB ports and the Pi3, which is precisely the point of mentioning that power may be an issue, to those that come across it here, because it isn't mentioned anywhere else.

aircrack also does not cope with dual wifi adapters, which is what happens with the Pi3 when you have the onboard and a USB and you need to find other methods other than airmon-ng wlan1mon up/down <channel> in order to successfully do an airodump on a single channel.

Also, the Broadcom 4343x wifi adapter is apparently capable of monitor mode... but you need the correct driver built into the kernel in order to achieve it (according to google fu) as I have not tried it yet.

Nevertheless, this exercise is a lot of fun and surprising how many people think that hidden SSID's are a security feature.

fernandoblazin

but there just people can do with their router at home if it's a business environment you should take measures to make hacking of your harder to get in, like i live nearby where an organisation provides free wifi an on this network you can an see all devices connected to it, not even segmentation

netstrider

Really depends a lot on the firmware and driver versions being used with the cards as well. My laptop has an Atheros Killer 1535 (AC.....xx) something to that effect which apparently supports monitoring and injection, although only monitoring seems to work.