USB Wifi Adapter (Kali Linux)

Eric

Honorary Master
i,m resurrecting this thread as i,m also doing an ethical penetration course and have the same issue. Battling to find an adaptor?
What are your requirements other than supporting injection?
Are you looking for external specifically?

Have you tried
or

Last edited:
What are your requirements other than supporting injection?
Are you looking for external specifically?

Have you tried
or

Preferably external, but anything that supports packet injection and monitoring mode. Takealot has the Alfa but it's ridiculously expensive.
The Tp links are basically useless without the old Atheros chipset it seems :(

Eric

Honorary Master
Preferably external, but anything that supports packet injection and monitoring mode. Takealot has the Alfa but it's ridiculously expensive.
The Tp links are basically useless without the old Atheros chipset it seems :(
It's been at least 10 years since I've owned a laptop that doesn't do monitor mode. What do you have? It doesn't have to be Atheros - some intel chipsets I've had work just fine.

DMNknight

Expert Member
i,m resurrecting this thread as i,m also doing an ethical penetration course and have the same issue. Battling to find an adaptor?
If you think you need a Monitor mode network card to achieve your education goals then you are in the wrong mindset to become good at this profession.
Yes, you need monitor mode to use and practice the various tools that are used, but don't get stuck in a rut.

If you cant get an atheros, then what about realtek? D-link? Broadcom? TP-link?
What about devices with the chipset that are not network cards. Don't get tunnel vision and focus on network adapters only.
There are options.
Make a plan
Try harder.

Eric

Honorary Master
If you cant get an atheros, then what about realtek? D-link? Broadcom? TP-link?
TP-Link or Dlink don't manufacture chipsets.

What about devices with the chipset that are not network cards.
Not following... Are you suggesting perhaps to get (for example) a pineapple or raspberry instead of a card for the PC? That's definitely an option. Not sure how common pineapples are in SA but they should be easy to find on eBay.

DMNknight

Expert Member
Not following... Are you suggesting perhaps...
It would be a disservice of me to tell you, simply because the mindset includes finding alternate solutions to the problem at hand. It's a skill that needs to be honed early.

garyc

Expert Member
Just bought the ALFA from Takealot. Initially this will is because I need a more capable adapter in a specific location. The plan is to try it on Kali in a couple of months when I have the time (the workload during this lock down is insane). So far it is giving 11ac between stories through a concrete floor, which was definitely not the case before.

If you do get one then don't bother with the drivers on the Ubuntu repo, they suck. Install the aircrack-ng driver instead.

Zeus07

I will also invoke necromancy on this thread.
With the time that's passed, has anyone found a more cost-effective option than the crazy-priced Alfa one on Takealot?

I agree, it's such a demm shame that the cheap TP-Link one with the AR9271 chipset doesn't work anymore in new versions.

Zeus07

Zipkoppie

Tell you guys what, if you guys post the purchase links to specific adaptors, I'll buy and test them all and report back on which work and which don't.

Zeus07

Tell you guys what, if you guys post the purchase links to specific adaptors, I'll buy and test them all and report back on which work and which don't.
This one is a prime candidate for investigation, especially if you read the buyer reviews.

The only Alfa one they sell, they also have in stock now. I might just give in and get it anyway, as I'm pretty sure this'll work.

Zeus07

I already know this one works:

Considering the pricing is likely the biggest issue with that one for most people, I ordered these 4 to test for now:
If you spot any others, let me know.
That's awesome! I'm hoping you'll have some success, as I've decided to hold off on buying the more expensive one. (The last time I was drunk I ordered a new 4k TV online so I'm cutting any further excessive spending :ROFL: )

ProjectEC97

I thought I might be late to this thread but I got my Alfa adapter from Amazon, waited a while but it works very well.

Zeus07

I thought I might be late to this thread but I got my Alfa adapter from Amazon, waited a while but it works very well.
Pricing @ Takealot seems to be pretty much the same for this one(a bit cheaper actually), when you take the Amazon price + shipping into consideration.

And then also, this happened the last time I ordered something abroad(US). I'd rather have that be Takealot's problem and not mine:
1601466733257.png

Takealot: https://www.takealot.com/cyber-secu...1200-wireless-usb-3-0-wi-fi-adap/PLID54541086

Amazon:
1601466579396.png

Zipkoppie

ProjectEC97

Idk man, I don't even use it anymore unless I have to have my desktop connected to a wifi. The only need for it in these pentesting courses are to learn WPA cracking which isn't even that interesting or even feasible. Talking from experience, the chances of you cracking a modern routers password without the use of Hashcat and a very powerful GPU are pretty slim and what's worse is if the password is changed to a local language word or phrase (though you'd be pretty lucky if they keep their WPS on, i was able to get my neighbours password through WPS lol). It's good for general use but you're just wasting your money if you only buying it because the course wants you to