VDSL modem options?

crxboy

Did a quick search through older threads and did not find a definitive answer.

The MSAN around the corner is going live in a week and I want to switch over to VDSL.

I'm looking for a VDSL capable modem other than the Pace, modem/router, supplied by Telkom. I do not need a router - I will use my Asus RT-N66U.

Are there alternatives out there - or am I stuck with the Pace from Telkom?

TIA.

crxboy

Thanks for the reply DrJZ.

If I may? Out of the three, is there any particular model you would recommend, at 1st glance it looks like I should be looking at the Billion. Or are they all similar?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I just got the Pace one. I am also just using it as a modem and haven't had any issues with it yet.

Tim the Techxpert

Expert Member
Hi There,
yes the hardware is a little slow to arrice and pace seems to have the edge at the moment.
I would go with that rather than a hong kong import.

Regards

Tim

Tim the Techxpert

Expert Member
Hi There,
yes the hardware is a little slow to arrice and pace seems to have the edge at the moment.
I would go with that rather than a hong kong import.

Regards

Tim

The Axxess Lady

Axxess Representative
Company Rep
Did a quick search through older threads and did not find a definitive answer.

The MSAN around the corner is going live in a week and I want to switch over to VDSL.

I'm looking for a VDSL capable modem other than the Pace, modem/router, supplied by Telkom. I do not need a router - I will use my Asus RT-N66U.

Are there alternatives out there - or am I stuck with the Pace from Telkom?

TIA.
Hi,

We've just received more stock of the ZyXEL L2TP Routers. You can order one directly from our website http://goo.gl/Nywi6x

We'll deliver free of charge ;)

Slip

I've got a PACE VDSL modem. Does anyone know how to manually specify DNS servers in the config? Cant see anything in the Internet access configuration screen. I still want an automatic IP address etc. Do I need to do this via the SSH interface?

Thanks

mystic007

How much does Telkom charge for the PACE VDSL router?

Edit: Nevermind. R 1,249.00

Last edited:

roadcat

Expert Member
How do you know this? I have a new MSAN 200 meters from my house but the ADSL checker still says max 4mbps for my line? Is there a way to get yourself onto the MSAN? I know my line runs to the street DSLAM right next to the new MSAN.

crxboy

How do you know this? I have a new MSAN 200 meters from my house but the ADSL checker still says max 4mbps for my line? Is there a way to get yourself onto the MSAN? I know my line runs to the street DSLAM right next to the new MSAN.
I have a magic tech "on my side". I keep him happy, he keeps me posted. It pays to make friends with these okes.

He actually phoned me last week to say that it will be going live soon. He asked if he could please come and upgrade my 2-core cable he patched into the complex intercom system (not actually allowed), but I was desperate at the time. Need ADSL in order to work.

Friday he pitches up. I help him with manhole covers and heavy rolls of 4-core cables. Pull new cables through. Unhook from intercom system and patch into a "normal" loop. +/- 2 weeks from now I'm expecting a call from him to let me know the MSAN is live. This dude is a legend.

All it takes is a smile, friendly conversation and willingness to help if you can. Yes, I do give this bloke some pocket money when I see him. But in exchange for the above I have a techie who I can call on his cell, who calls me when " things go down" and replaces my cables first with the new stuff because he is worried that the rolls will run out (months can go by waiting for new rolls).

My suggestion; drive around in your neighbourhood and go make yourself a Telkom friend.

JohnJuniorV3

Expert Member
What's is the upload on a VDSL 20mb package? Is it fine if I just keep my ADSL2+ modem?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
What's is the upload on a VDSL 20mb package? Is it fine if I just keep my ADSL2+ modem?
2Mbit. You will also struggle to get 20Mbit on ADSL2+, it's possible but your line will have to be perfect. My line stats were pretty damn good and when I upgraded the best speed I could get on ADSL2+ was 15Mbit.

Once they moved me to the VDSL profile my lines stats improved dramatically and I get stable 20Mbit/2Mbit.

Also with ADSL2+ you will get max 1Mbit upload.

whatwhat

Executive Member
2Mbit. You will also struggle to get 20Mbit on ADSL2+, it's possible but your line will have to be perfect. My line stats were pretty damn good and when I upgraded the best speed I could get on ADSL2+ was 15Mbit.

Once they moved me to the VDSL profile my lines stats improved dramatically and I get stable 20Mbit/2Mbit.

Also with ADSL2+ you will get max 1Mbit upload.
As of a week or two ago you now get full 20Mb on a ADSL2+ profile, with 1Mb upload, and on speedtest you get around 1900kB/s.
But only if you cannot get a VDSL sync.