Vodacom acquiring Neotel: plans "progressing well"

falcon786

Honorary Master
Jannie's very busy there in the background making things happen.:D

This will be good news since Vodacom will actually use the spectrum and they seem really keen to make LTE coverage big quick unlike iburst/neotel thats been wasting it.

Last edited:

SteveO

Expert Member
This doesnt mean VC will buy them, just means that they might bid.

@RPM, any other interested parties?

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The only thing Jannie has successful done so far is destroy Iburst when he was the CEO

It was porked before he got there... Knotty Jnr. jettisoned in style.

I'm not sure if Vodacom owning Neotel is any good. If they intend to run it the same way they they run Vodacom business then they can stick it. The red tape at Vodacom business is unbelievable (if you can get someone to speak to you).

MickeyD

RIP
If they do, they'll probably keep the fibre network and customers and kill off all the wireless networks, only keeping the sites (not the equipment) where VC don't have coverage..

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
Its interesting. On the one hand they have a very good chance to grow fttx, on the other hand they could decide to go a different direction and that would suck for people already using fttx.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
If they do, they'll probably keep the fibre network and customers and kill off all the wireless networks, only keeping the sites (not the equipment) where VC don't have coverage..
I think it makes sense for them to kill off the full CDMA network and use the 800MHz spectrum for LTE. One can easily move the Neotel consumers to WiMax or LTE. The main problem is the thousands of CDMA voice customers who are paying low per-minute prices - far lower than Vodacom's rates.

MickeyD

RIP
I think it makes sense for them to kill off the full CDMA network and use the 800MHz spectrum for LTE. One can easily move the Neotel consumers to WiMax or LTE. The main problem is the thousands of CDMA voice customers who are paying low per-minute prices - far lower than Vodacom's rates.
Was that a promo offer?

Pienats

Hopefully this will bring Vodacom into the fixed line business. I know a lot of people are not happy with them, but they certainly do have the money (and possibly experience) to make things happen.
Will they do it in an affordable way to the average man on the street? Only time will tell. I'm going to be cautiously optimistic while trying not get my hopes up too high.
Here's to hoping they bring actual competition to the fixed line space....

rpm

Admin
Staff member
This doesnt mean VC will buy them, just means that they might bid. @RPM, any other interested parties?
We heard that Vodacom, MTN and DiData were in the running, but that DiData fell out.

All speculation though - big NDAs with these discussions.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
The only thing Jannie has successful done so far is destroy Iburst when he was the CEO
This is really far from the truth. Maybe familiarize yourself with what Jannie has done over the past 10 years before making these statements.

icyrus

Executive Member
Hopefully this will bring Vodacom into the fixed line business. I know a lot of people are not happy with them, but they certainly do have the money (and possibly experience) to make things happen.
Will they do it in an affordable way to the average man on the street? Only time will tell. I'm going to be cautiously optimistic while trying not get my hopes up too high.

Vodacom will have even less appetite for residential fixed line than Neotel did.

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
We heard that Vodacom, MTN and DiData were in the running, but that DiData fell out.

DD was the only one that i would support - i can see big fights in the commission if it is V or M

SteveO

Expert Member

All local sources? No idea about any of the other big boys in Africa?

Skerminkel

Expert Member

This. If they can give telkom a good kick in the behind, it might spur both into playing more competitively.

Vodacom will have even less appetite for residential fixed line than Neotel did.

True convergence, maybe?

siraman

Expert Member

Then what's the point of this possible acquisition? If( from).....

The backbone of our network consists of many thousands of kilometres of optical fibre cable following railway lines and power lines across South Africa. Eskom and Transtel developed and patented techniques that led to the deployment of the fibre. The fibre is either wrapped around the wires or within the wires of power lines, suspended along the electrical masts of railway lines or directly buried alongside the lines.

Neotel could not utilise(my view) this "valuable" fibre optic network.Please excuse my ignorance on these network matters(or perhaps i'm not comprehending what i'm reading or understanding the technology) but based on the above you'd think we would have FTTX "dropping" all over South Africa(yes, even here in our dorpies).To me it just seems Neotel is merely a Metro player and that effectively takes me out of this debate.

BTW we have a railway line here Neotel/Vodacom.:D