Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Date: 17/02/2008
Time: 17:30 to 21:00
Area: Boskruin

Experienced this yesterday. Some local websites names couldn't resolve. Ran a nslookup and it timed-out for some local sites. International sites resolved but local sites like www.iol.co.za,www.myadsl.co.za & standardbank.co.za couldn't resolve. Other local sites like News24 working fine. Used an anonymous browser to confirm the local sites were up.

Today is fine.

Thanks, the problem was fixed very late last night, so your post makes 100% sense.
 
Huge latency problems

A week ago, to my utter disappointment, I switched from 384kbs ADSL line to a 3G HSDPA service with Vodacom. I got my fancy new Huawei E220 modem and was off to play World of Warcraft...

The speed of this supposed 9 times faster solution is twice if not 18 times slower (no I'm not exaggerating).

I called Vodacom and tried to log a ticket. First they had me believe it was my PC that is faulty. After disabling all out going and incoming traffic with a fire wall and disabling all things like automatic updates I was sure the problem was not with things pulling data in background.

Then the problem became my modem and I was asked to upgrade my software (note: this is now a week later and still no official ticket has been logged) I upgraded the software and to my surprise...no improvement.

In this time I got a suspicion that the problem might be with their network. I set my alarm for 4:00am and tested the connection. Fast as lightning. Brilliant connection...till about 6:00am

Calling Vodacom again and reporting my findings they now want me to believe the problem is with my modem itself and that I should exchange it. When I asked why it runs at full speed at 4:00am the technician did not want to answer me. I also asked him if I was really the only person complaining about this and he gave me a definite "Yes".

I now became very annoyed and started looking on the internet for answers and to see if other people had the same problem. What I found was shocking. There are a lot of people out there with the same problem and they are ALL being ignored by Vodacom.

Here are 2 of the links I found:

http://forums.prophecy.co.za/f76/vodacom-3g-experience-44331/
http://www.xbox-360.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=5135

Also I found this letter on Vodacom’s website:

"To whom it may concern.

I took out a 3g account more than a year ago for the soul
Purpose of playing a online game “World of Warcraft” the game
Is only playable online and I need to pay a account every month to be able to play this game. I had a few problematic nights
With the 3g account before where the connection became
Terribly slow, it however normally got resolved by at least the next day, recently however we (and I say we as I have advised a
Friend to also get a Vodafone 3g account for the same purpose)
Have had a terribly slow response and unacceptable amount
Of disconnects. Loading into the game takes quite a bit of MB and because of the consistent disconnect I lose allot of MB on the 1Gig account. This problem has been going on for more than 3 weeks now and still there is no increase in the performance.

I am very unhappy with Vodacom as there has been no warning or excuses as to why this has been happening and would not
Renew my contract with them or advice anyone to buy this
Product again, please sort this problem out as soon as possible
Or at least give me a valid excuse as to why this have been happening or I will definitely move my 2x 3g and 2x cell phone
Accounts from you to someone that can deliver what they promise"


Why is this problem being ignored by Vodacom? What is causing it? And why won't Vodacom admit or explain the problem?
 
Last edited:
Make sure you are not confusing latency (response time) with bandwidth (speed).

A wireless signal will NEVER have better latency than wired connections, as the data can not travel as fast.

Best to worse latency mediums:
1) Fiber
2) Wired copper (ADSL, Ethernet, ...)
3) Dial-up
4) Wireless
 
I too have had problems with latency mate.

My only solution for you is to try a MTN sim card, after 19:30 with vodacom it becomes unplayable until 00:00 onwards. With MTN i get good connection of around 350 - 500ms
at anytime of the day...late at nights i get under 300ms yep a green connection, it has dipped down to around 215ms.

I have tryed to find out what is going on with vodacom but no one seems to give straight answers. :(
 
Last edited:
Make sure you are not confusing latency (response time) with bandwidth (speed).

A wireless signal will NEVER have better latency than wired connections, as the data can not travel as fast.

Best to worse latency mediums:
1) Fiber
2) Wired copper (ADSL, Ethernet, ...)
3) Dial-up
4) Wireless

Thats perfectly understandable, but for it to be this inconsistent is hard to believe. I have a high gain antenna installed and with mobile partner my signal strength sits at a constant 95%+ easily.
 
I apologise if I used the wrong word. The problem is not with reception of signal (it’s always 4 bars) the problem is with speed. Latency is the name given to a bar that you see in the game shown in milliseconds. Early in morning (4:00am) I get a 400ms latency on the game. Later in day and at night it is between 1200ms-18000ms. Normally at 1000ms you start seeing lag and getting a lot of disconnects because the data keeps getting resent and eventually times out as the game looses and then resends packages in an attemping to stay real-time. This also causes a lot of my Meg to be lost. (I changed the word latency to speed)
 
Last edited:
Have there been problems in CPT lately? Southern Suburbs in particular?

I find that in the evenings I'm getting frequent timeouts, and 'unable to connect's (I'm using GPRS, via my phone, so I can't give any specific figures here).

It works fine during the day, but evenings problematic.
 
Have there been problems in CPT lately? Southern Suburbs in particular?

I find that in the evenings I'm getting frequent timeouts, and 'unable to connect's (I'm using GPRS, via my phone, so I can't give any specific figures here).

It works fine during the day, but evenings problematic.

Exactly the same experience I have. Sunday night (Feb 17th) at 20:30 the connection crapped out again. It happens every night at 20:30 like clockwork.

Vodacom3G, does Vodacom do backups/defrags/virus scans/whatever every day at 20:30?

I know it sounds silly but every day at 20:30 my connection becomes unstable :confused:
 
Exactly the same experience I have. Sunday night (Feb 17th) at 20:30 the connection crapped out again. It happens every night at 20:30 like clockwork.

Vodacom3G, does Vodacom do backups/defrags/virus scans/whatever every day at 20:30?

I know it sounds silly but every day at 20:30 my connection becomes unstable :confused:

No, it's because the whole of Souf Efrika is on the net then... same thing when i lived in the UK, even with a super-fast connection, after 20h00, you can see your speed degrade....it becomes super-fast again after 00h00. ;)
 
No, it's because the whole of Souf Efrika is on the net then... same thing when i lived in the UK, even with a super-fast connection, after 20h00, you can see your speed degrade....it becomes super-fast again after 00h00. ;)

It happened again last night at 20:13. Connection was fine then suddenly everything stopped working.

So I disconnected and reconnected. Nothing.

Three tries later everything is fine again until 22:00 when I went to bed.

I suppose it is callmore time but it is still very annoying.
 
I was seeing disconnects and DNS errors last night at about 20:00-20:30. I tried internet and unrestricted APN, both could not resolve hostnames from the DNS servers. Endless reconnects later and things started working.
 
I'm getting really weak performance when browsing international websites while local is flying. I have been provisioned for 3.6 but international is really crawling the last 3 days. Anyone shed some light on this? Anyone experiencing the same?
 
Does anyone know if there is any specific problems on the Vodacom network, or do they just have to many people using HSDPA.

I have been unable to play Guild Wars since this weekend.

Getting very high latency. Last night the connection kept going dead - still connected, but no response from the DNS.

When running the vodacom speed test I get very good numbers (1880Kbps download and 313Kbps, which I guess is the maximum as I am not on the 3.6Mb package and I don't plan to get it - I don't need higher speeds, just lower latency ;) ) but when actually trying to access any other web site the speed is erratic most of the time.
 
When running the vodacom speed test I get very good numbers (1880Kbps download and 313Kbps, which I guess is the maximum as I am not on the 3.6Mb package and I don't plan to get it - I don't need higher speeds, just lower latency ;) ) but when actually trying to access any other web site the speed is erratic most of the time.
Try speedtest.net for a more realistic test of your speeds...
 
Does anyone know if there is any specific problems on the Vodacom network, or do they just have to many people using HSDPA.

I have been unable to play Guild Wars since this weekend.

Getting very high latency. Last night the connection kept going dead - still connected, but no response from the DNS.

When running the vodacom speed test I get very good numbers (1880Kbps download and 313Kbps, which I guess is the maximum as I am not on the 3.6Mb package and I don't plan to get it - I don't need higher speeds, just lower latency ;) ) but when actually trying to access any other web site the speed is erratic most of the time.

ManicMinor, try the International district. My avg ping is 500ms and it is way more stable.

But yea I also had a dead connection last night. :sick:
 
I'm getting really weak performance when browsing international websites while local is flying. I have been provisioned for 3.6 but international is really crawling the last 3 days. Anyone shed some light on this? Anyone experiencing the same?

Experiencing the same. Have had very bad international connection (speed and latency) for about 3 days now. Local seems fine.

Was up past midnight on Monday and it didn't get better so I don't buy the "too many people online" theory.
 
I am having similar problems and logged an issue with VC Technical staff, I was advised that there is a fault between on the link between us and the states. This was logged on Sunday night I have had a few replies but the issue is still not resolved.

I realy hope they fix this soon as I am getting pretty peeved and wondering if I need to consider an alternative.

3.6mbs yeah right and the adverts are still on 94.7
3.6 local maybe run ping to google and watch the results looks something like this
386ms
290ms
18000ms wtf ???????????????
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X