Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
No 3G just GPRS - Useless!!!

I had no 3G connectivity since 23:00 on Saturday night. After many calls to 155 I started becoming sarcastic and almost threatened the "155 Specialists" and minutes later tonight at between 21:00 and 22:00 I had 3G connectivity after proving to Vodacom that it is a network related problem. How does one explain that:confused:
 
I had no 3G connectivity since 23:00 on Saturday night. After many calls to 155 I started becoming sarcastic and almost threatened the "155 Specialists" and minutes later tonight at between 21:00 and 22:00 I had 3G connectivity after proving to Vodacom that it is a network related problem. How does one explain that:confused:

Maybe they had been working on the problem all along ;). Or the problem might have been on your side and was somehow sorted :p.
 
Problem with Vodacom DNS servers near N1 City, Cape Town. Switching to OpenDNS servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) works. On internet APN.
 
Problem with Vodacom DNS servers near N1 City, Cape Town. Switching to OpenDNS servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) works. On internet APN.

Didn't know we had DNS servers near N1 City ;) Must be those with the pin-striping and the suped-up, blue-LED fans :)

Can you be more specific? Are the completely AWOL, don't respond, etc?
 
Didn't know we had DNS servers near N1 City ;) Must be those with the pin-striping and the suped-up, blue-LED fans :)
:D
Can you be more specific? Are the completely AWOL, don't respond, etc?
DNS requests were timing out. It's fine now, but seems to happen mostly early evenings around 7pm-9pm. I think Morkhans been experiencing something similar lately.
 
I have had disconnection problems but the main problems has been no throughput. Sometimes after a short while, it works again but more often than not, I have to reboot my PC. Other times I have managed to disconnect and reconnect but this usually results in an error message "The specified port is not connected". I have updated my drivers for my E220 modem from the Huawei site but no better.

Windows 2000 SP4
E220 modem
IMEI Number : 355083011675672
API Version: API.11.13.01D
Firmware Version: 11.110.05.00.00
Hardware Version: CD33TCPU
APN: internet

Area: Diepsloot, Johannesburg

Any idea why this is happening? It appears to be a DNS issue as addresses can't be resolved. Should the DNS settings be dynamic or is it better to specify a primary and secondary DNS server?

And now when I am trying to post this message it does it again!!!
 
Im also getting terrible throughput.

vodacom speed test:

200 down (maxed at 400 after a few runs)
112 up (maxed at 350 after a few runs)

Vista SP 1
E220 modem
IMEI Number : 351827011553592
API Version: not sure
Firmware Version: 11.110.05.00.00
Hardware Version: CD33TCPU
APN: internet and unrestricted
Location: Bedfordview (jhb)

Sorry location added

I have logged a call, but hopefully V3G can shread some light and lend a helping hand. Ill pm u any other details if needed v3g
 
Last edited:
Light at the end of the tunnel

Guys asking v3g to help isn’t going to get us any where the guys at Vodacom didn’t even know we have been having latency problems until we told them yesterday the problem is not at top level where v3g gets his info its on the ground but my sources inside tell me they are working on it so maybe we will get lucky by Thursday .Hopefully they will implement some network monitor to check international latency so we don’t have to tell them there is a problem they will know its there.
 
Guys asking v3g to help isn’t going to get us any where the guys at Vodacom didn’t even know we have been having latency problems until we told them yesterday the problem is not at top level where v3g gets his info its on the ground but my sources inside tell me they are working on it so maybe we will get lucky by Thursday .Hopefully they will implement some network monitor to check international latency so we don’t have to tell them there is a problem they will know its there.

As one of the members of the network monitor architecture team, and specifically the 'international latency' bit, I can assure you these problems are detected quite quickly and automatically escalated to the relevant people.

But that's the easy bit. Fixing it is the difficult part as we have to pass the faults on to the relevant network provider.

BTW, picking up problems between your mobile terminal and the tower is much more difficult (as we don't have an agent on your modem), so your feedback here is very valuable.

Posting problems here is not very helpful (apart from the venting bit :)), if you don't include information that can help to pinpoint the problem, especially location information.
 
- to paris

- to UK

- to USA

- to JHB

- to Cpt

Vodacom speedtest - 588 down / 112 up

Loc: bedfordview, Jhb
IP: 41.26.x.x
APN: Internet
Signal strength: 95% (readings from mobile partner)

Cant seem to get anywhere near 3.6mb connection i use to have (and i did activate it after 30 april)

Is any1 else having the same prob or is it maybe my area?
 
I have also been have serious latency issues to international providers, i play world of warcraft, and this week/last week my latency was ok, like 600-900, but this week it has been pathetic, 1000- 16,000.

I stay in the northriding area, i have full signal.

apn: internetvpn
signal 99%

Just tested on speed test my download was 304kbps/245kbps upload. It did'nt even reach the HSDPA barrier, and yet i have 95/99% signal strength? Maybe you guys should turn off the 3.6mbps because obviously there are international latency issues, which your superior services/servers are NOT picking up.
 
Last edited:
Let take it to them

Guys we should get of our butts get the media involved and march to Vodacoms head office maybe then when it becomes a public enough issue maybe just maybe someone will do something, the sad thing is I pay for the 3g bandwidth I pay for my world of warcraft account but I cant play so it seems it just pay and no play and please don’t post some stupid reply about needing my personal inform to check the issue the problem is not on our side its on your side Vodacom , so let met explain it again last time the issue was telkom that was shaping the international traffic when Vodacom started using too much bandwidth you contacted telkom and they fixed the problem and for 3 weeks no latency problems now we are back to the same old 3500ms latency but still I get told they will know if there is a problem guys come on we are not in bloody Zimbabwe and we are not children please give us what we pay for.
 
International throughput has been terrible of late, tonight it is just way too slow to try and do anything without me wanting to smash something. A vodacom speed test shows full HSDPA speed but that's local only and "only" within Vodacom's network, accessing many other local sites are NOT at HSDPA speeds as the speed test reveals. This has been going on for months now.
 
any word on whats the problem and possible turn around time on getting it fixed?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X