Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, our connection has been terrible for quite a while now. I would LOVE for Vodacom to put a tower closer to us, even on our property. Our closest UMTS tower is 6.6km away :mad:
 
Same thing here in PE

The network went down earlier this evening and I called 155 at 20:54 and a man responded and said he'd investigate the network and not long after that it was back online.

It didn't stay online long so I called 155 again at 21:39 and got through to a woman - she insisted that I tell her what virus software I was using and then wanted to check my IE settings (I use FF) - I refused and asked that she please report it to those that count and hopefully get it sorted.

WHY do they always suspect the subscribers are DOFF and it's the subscribers equipment problem.?

I'm pleased to report that the response from 155 for my two recent calls, to report the network down, was far better -I guess you did some talking there V3G.
 
International is really bad tonight:( Last week I downloaded a 45MB file in 5 minutes and today a 3 MB file is taking more than 7 minutes already:sick:
And therein lies the problem, complete and total lack of consistency!!! It's a product as volatile as our currency!!!
 
International is really bad tonight:( Last week I downloaded a 45MB file in 5 minutes and today a 3 MB file is taking more than 7 minutes already:sick:
It's not only Vodacom, people on ADSL complaining too.
 
Vodacom network issues - Brits, North West Province

I do contract work up here in Brits 2 weeks a month. I use a HP hw6915 EDGE enabled and a Nokia 6800 series that does 3G. Both works fine when I am in Durban where I reside, but up here, I have endless problems.

Tower is 3G enabled. Peak hours from 6-8pm its almost impossible to phone, especially to other networks with network busy shown. When you are able to phone at this time, expect to be disconnected often. Data connection is at best very bad, both EDGE and 3G. I have constant timeouts connecting to sites and very high ping times.

Pinging speed.vodacom.co.za [196.207.32.68] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 196.207.32.68: bytes=32 time=899ms TTL=54
Reply from 196.207.32.68: bytes=32 time=674ms TTL=54
Reply from 196.207.32.68: bytes=32 time=656ms TTL=54
Reply from 196.207.32.68: bytes=32 time=1340ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 196.207.32.68:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 656ms, Maximum = 1340ms, Average = 892ms

Pinging speed.vodacom.co.za [196.207.32.68] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 196.207.32.68: bytes=32 time=700ms TTL=54
Reply from 196.207.32.68: bytes=32 time=800ms TTL=54
Reply from 196.207.32.68: bytes=32 time=2098ms TTL=54
Reply from 196.207.32.68: bytes=32 time=803ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 196.207.32.68:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 700ms, Maximum = 2098ms, Average = 1100ms
 
Last edited:
I'm sick of these crap speeds :mad:

There has to be something i can do! :mad:

I cant download a 10meg file without waiting half the day to get it done!
 
Having trouble connecting to Vodacom in the 'hood on pre-paid, tried both internet and internetvpn APNs. There seems to be a long pause while the 'Registering your computer on the network' message is displayed, then the old 619.
Once I did manage to connect, but all DNS queries timed out. Been happening since about 21:00.
Update:
Continued until about 22:00. I tried again now (22:30); first time I connected got DNS timeouts, second time I was in.
I had this problem again last night around midnight. I tried connecting on GPRS/EDGE Only and got through first time, I was then able to change my connection type to 3G Only and continue surfing without any problem.

Is it possible that one can't authenticate on 3G but can on GPRS/EDGE, or was it just a coincidence?

OT: I now seem to be able to change from 3G to GPRS/EDGE without dropping my connection on pre-paid.
 
I had this problem again last night around midnight. I tried connecting on GPRS/EDGE Only and got through first time, I was then able to change my connection type to 3G Only and continue surfing without any problem.

Is it possible that one can't authenticate on 3G but can on GPRS/EDGE, or was it just a coincidence?

OT: I now seem to be able to change from 3G to GPRS/EDGE without dropping my connection on pre-paid.

Not sure about the 2G/3G authentication, will ask.

The pre-paid 3G->2G switch problem was fixed a while ago. Turned out to be quite a monster, think they went through about 10 software updates to lick it.
 
We've discussed this at length. Get all the relevant permissions and we'll build a tower on your roof.

Where do i start to get to the permissions to build it on top of my roof?

I'd obviously need to get my aunts permission, as it is her place, and i probably need to find out of any objections of residents in this complex.

Its so frustrating.
 
Where do i start to get to the permissions to build it on top of my roof?

I'd obviously need to get my aunts permission, as it is her place, and i probably need to find out of any objections of residents in this complex.

Its so frustrating.

Start with the body corporate and then ask council.
 
I had this problem again last night around midnight. I tried connecting on GPRS/EDGE Only and got through first time, I was then able to change my connection type to 3G Only and continue surfing without any problem.

Is it possible that one can't authenticate on 3G but can on GPRS/EDGE, or was it just a coincidence?
I don't think it's a coincidence, tonight I got three 619 errors in a row attempting to connect on 3G, then connected first time on GPRS/EDGE.
 
I have been experienced very slow throughput @ home @ night. After logging a call with VC, the agent called me. There is apparently a problem in the Faerie Glen area with network congestion. VC is busy addressing the problem, V3G if you of this problem any idea of the timeframe to resolve? I assume that there are not enough cell towers available?
 
I have been experienced very slow throughput @ home @ night. After logging a call with VC, the agent called me. There is apparently a problem in the Faerie Glen area with network congestion. VC is busy addressing the problem, V3G if you of this problem any idea of the timeframe to resolve? I assume that there are not enough cell towers available?

Don't know the details, but most likely transmission congestion.
 
Thanks V3G, how can I find out when this transmission congestion will be resolved? From what I was told it sounds that there are two many users in the Faerie Glen area. Sofar the only solution for me is to remove the VC SIM card and use an MTN pay-as-you-go. Not nice. I assume VC needs to put up more towers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X