Web Squad ISP

DarkSt0rm

Afrihost has stopped announcing in JHB.

All the traffic going to CPT now. The JHB Peering Link still down.

View attachment 788783
Yeah, VPN is also going via somewhere else and back to JHB it seems
Code:
Tracing route to mybroadband.co.za [104.20.10.169]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  10.8.0.1
  2     2 ms     3 ms     3 ms  unassigned.psychz.net [172.xxx.xxx.xxx]
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4    55 ms    52 ms    49 ms  v136.core1.jnb1.he.net [216.66.84.141]
  5    72 ms    70 ms    80 ms  cloudflare.jinx.net.za [196.223.14.109]
  6     4 ms     3 ms     3 ms  104.20.10.169

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yeah, VPN is also going via somewhere else and back to JHB it seems
Code:
Tracing route to mybroadband.co.za [104.20.10.169]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  10.8.0.1
  2     2 ms     3 ms     3 ms  unassigned.psychz.net [172.xxx.xxx.xxx]
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4    55 ms    52 ms    49 ms  v136.core1.jnb1.he.net [216.66.84.141]
  5    72 ms    70 ms    80 ms  cloudflare.jinx.net.za [196.223.14.109]
  6     4 ms     3 ms     3 ms  104.20.10.169
They are using HE Transit to peer with Cloudflare at JINX it seems.

websquadza

WebSquad
Apologies for the late response on this one. JHB Cloudflare sessions dropped around 20:55 this evening. They came back up with 0 announces, so we're not routing to them via JHB at the moment, I see we're favouring CPT for now. They are sending some traffic back to us via JHB though.

websquadza

WebSquad
Major issues tonight, some sites won't load at all, saying DNS errors, something is up?
Looks like there was a delay in Cloudflare's response to whatever failure occurred this evening, leaving DNS requests flowing to 1.1.1.1 without response.

websquadza

WebSquad
They were direct peering before the outage. After that they used their HE transit to peer at jinx.

Does doing that not eat into your transit capacity?
Nah, I think Psychz don’t have a JINX port. Cloudflare is still up on JINX it seems. So anything they don’t learn on NAP (in this case because NAP Cloudflare is down) will fall over to transit. Any ISP will favour peering over transit.. but use transit if peering is not available. So Psychz will first check NAP, then head to transit.

Hingisp

Cannot connect to Internet, fibre down again? Durban, vumatel trenched, 1gbps connection

websquadza

WebSquad
Cannot connect to Internet, fibre down again? Durban, vumatel trenched, 1gbps connection
This morning still no Internet connection in Durban. Anyone else?
Full RFO to follow here. Sorry, today’s been a madhouse. Services were restored this morning. We’re still busy with our investigation and will update you with cause and solution ASAP.

DarkSt0rm

Is it just me, or has it been a shyte show, with a never ending chain of things breaking (in general), since Internet Solutions went down, last year? Week after week, it just seems to be something wrong somewhere (once again, in general, not WebSquad specific)

Sopbeen

Is it just me, or has it been a shyte show, with a never ending chain of things breaking (in general), since Internet Solutions went down, last year? Week after week, it just seems to be something wrong somewhere (once again, in general, not WebSquad specific)

websquadza

WebSquad
Don't think it's related to IS - their issues were more structural. But, there has been a major increase in breaks lately. It's whack a mole with outages. NLD routes seem to be hot fodder for road workers (I'm guessing - longhaul operators are running around fixing their fibre all the time). A freak storm in the Congo washed too much dirt onto WACS and we know how that went. FNOs have breaks/outages daily... There definitely is more going on. Our NOC will attest to that.

It's a combination of factors I guess.. One, there's more fibre in the ground than ever, so we're bound to see more issues. Two, we're more alert to outages these days because we depend on fibre more. Three, we were used to copper cable theft and copper issues, and never really questioned these. I can go on here.

That said and using the example of the recent double cable break, I don't think South Africa would've fared nearly as well with multiple undersea breaks just two or three years ago. Yes latency jumped and certain services suffered, but for most people, it was business as usual with the undersea breaks. Local content ruled the day. So in that light, we're reaching a point where SA's internet is definitely more robust and resilient than it's ever been.

Just more work to keep us on our toes I guess!

DarkSt0rm

Not seeing anything insane, WoW is fluctuating between 160ms and 175ms. Also Vuma Trenched (Randburg)

Napalm

Expert Member
Anyway to prioritize the latency to Europe ? Pings for League of Legends.

Latency is around the 160 to 180ms