What is an acceptable speed while been throttled?

garybrown

I migrated from a DSL line to a 50mbs fibre line (Afrihost/TT-Connect). I have exceeded the 250GB quota allocated each 30 day’s which means I get throttled each day during peak times usually from 6pm-10pm. I understand why I get throttled, I understand that I can change packages to a premium service. My speed is throttled from 50mbs to 0.01 and varies each day. I get request timed out when trying to ping Afrihost servers or even Google DNS 8.8.8.8.

Is it acceptable to be throttled to the point where you have no service?

What is an acceptable speed, 5% of your service?

Is it acceptable for Afrihost support to tell a customer that they cannot do anything about it, that it is out of their control?

Afrihost service is month to month, they offer R4000 off installation and a free WiFi router, however, the small print says that you must stay with them for 18 months or you liable to pay a pro rata amount back for the installation and router.

Do I pay the amount and move to another provider like Cool Ideas?

under_sky

Expert Member
I migrated from a DSL line to a 50mbs fibre line (Afrihost/TT-Connect). I have exceeded the 250GB quota allocated each 30 day’s which means I get throttled each day during peak times usually from 6pm-10pm. I understand why I get throttled, I understand that I can change packages to a premium service. My speed is throttled from 50mbs to 0.01 and varies each day. I get request timed out when trying to ping Afrihost servers or even Google DNS 8.8.8.8.

Is it acceptable to be throttled to the point where you have no service?

What is an acceptable speed, 5% of your service?

Is it acceptable for Afrihost support to tell a customer that they cannot do anything about it, that it is out of their control?

Afrihost service is month to month, they offer R4000 off installation and a free WiFi router, however, the small print says that you must stay with them for 18 months or you liable to pay a pro rata amount back for the installation and router.

Do I pay the amount and move to another provider like Cool Ideas?
For one I can tell you that whole free install is a open contract if you think about it, welcome to stay and get it for free but leave then you pay even if the install didn't cost R4000 you will pay that back. Own fault for taking the free install but for some it's affordable. Move to cool ideas you will be happy there, I recently left kiklo and a very happy customer now with more service and faster speeds. On the other hand TT connect is horrible from the comments here on mybb forum. Plus it might be more worthwhile to just change your package to uncapped basic on afrihost if you don't want to make the move. Don't touch a capped product when it comes to fiber

under_sky

Expert Member
Why? I'm actually looking at capped packages
not worth it i have seen the threshold afrihost puts on its packages for the home uncapped and trust me you will never touch the limit before they talk to you. Use to work there in fibre so got a brief overview