What's for supper - Second Course

APoc184

Honorary Master
Wagyu.

Prepared exactly like I always do steak. Only salt and pepper. Pan fried to Medium rare. Rested for half the cooking time.

My honest opinion. It is really really nice.
But it is not R325/kg nice.

It definitely has a unique taste. Can't really describe it. Best I can try is that it has a slight gamey taste to it but still predominantly beefy.

But the biggest difference is certainly in texture. Even taking it out of the package it had a completely different feel to it. I thought it was going to tear apart as I pulled it from the sides of the vacuum packaging. Extremely tender and almost creamy feel to it.

They don't lie when they say it melts in your mouth. There is absolutely no denseness to it. Certainly the most tender piece of beef I've had the privilege of preparing for myself.

I'd buy it again but at that price it will certainly not be very often. Would like to try a ribeye cut next time. They only had rump in stock over the weekend.

20180820_183823-01.jpeg

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
Cornish and culls (i think ) and some other names . these are more tougher birds so longer cooking times

Peder

Hobbit
Wagyu.

Prepared exactly like I always do steak. Only salt and pepper. Pan fried to Medium rare. Rested for half the cooking time.

My honest opinion. It is really really nice.
But it is not R325/kg nice.

It definitely has a unique taste. Can't really describe it. Best I can try is that it has a slight gamey taste to it but still predominantly beefy.

But the biggest difference is certainly in texture. Even taking it out of the package it had a completely different feel to it. I thought it was going to tear apart as I pulled it from the sides of the vacuum packaging. Extremely tender and almost creamy feel to it.

They don't lie when they say it melts in your mouth. There is absolutely no denseness to it. Certainly the most tender piece of beef I've had the privilege of preparing for myself.

I'd buy it again but at that price it will certainly not be very often. Would like to try a ribeye cut next time. They only had rump in stock over the weekend.

View attachment 546377
Thanks for the update. Will try it sometime, did you buy from Kings Meat Deli?

APoc184

Honorary Master
Thanks for the update. Will try it sometime, did you buy from Kings Meat Deli?
Indeed. We got from the one at Castle Walk. Although I will probably get from the Lynnwood Bridge one if I do again. It is literally 1km from the office. Just coincidence that we were at Castle Walk this weekend.

Wife said she saw on a Vleisboek post that Checkers also started to stock it. Didn't see any over the weekend at Menlyn though.

The_Techie

Resident Techie
Would love to hear your verdict.
This one wasn't as good as the one I had a little while ago (should be my previous post in this thread), which had better marbling, but this was still excellent. Didn't need a knife at all, the meat was pull-apart tender with very little effort and a very beefy taste.

Very fatty too, of course, which is never a bad thing for steaks :)

Bought this from King's Meat Deli, albeit the Pretoria branch. Definitely going to stock up again when next they have these in stock.

APoc184

Honorary Master
This one wasn't as good as the one I had a little while ago (should be my previous post in this thread), which had better marbling, but this was still excellent. Didn't need a knife at all, the meat was pull-apart tender with very little effort and a very beefy taste.

Very fatty too, of course, which is never a bad thing for steaks :)

Bought this from King's Meat Deli, albeit the Pretoria branch. Definitely going to stock up again when next they have these in stock.
Thanks. Yes I actually made the effort to get to a Kings after seeing your previous post here. The Castle Walk one had only Rump when I visited. And also only a few pieces. Was specifically looking for rib-eye. Maybe next time.

Agree on the falling apart part. Like I said in my review a few posts back it literally does melt in your mouth. The texture is the predominantly big difference for me between Wagyu and the best other piece of steak I've ever had. Worlds apart.

Not a triple the price worth difference in taste for me at all. Slightly different taste (I called it "gamey" but can't actually describe it). That alone won't make me buy it regularly. But for the tenderness and fattiness I will certainly be treating myself a few times per year with a piece.

Last edited: