What's for supper - Second Course

APoc184

Honorary Master
Seems we are a bigger club than I thought.

In my wife's case it is mainly her mother's fault. She is an only child and her mother simply never allowed her in the kitchen because she believed you have to do every little thing for your kid.

When I met her in her matric year she has pretty much never even made her own sandwich. Let alone cook any type of meal.

Whereas we grew up with a mother who wanted to make sure we can take care of ourselves.

When I, the youngest, was about 9 years old, my mother started a routine where each kid(3) had a day in the week they had to cook dinner for the family. With her help of course. Showing you how and why you cook certain things certain ways and what goes with what. That only ended when I moved to Pretoria.

By the time my wife started sleeping over at my place I have pretty much lived on my own for almost 2 years and was so set in the routine of doing all cooking (and enjoying it), that it hasn't changed in the last 15 years.

Wife has learned to live and struggle through my little experiments and ventures with flavours, techniques and textures and with her critique I believe my cooking has been improving each and every year.

I sometimes feel sorry for the horrible meals she had to battle through when I attempted something new.

Last edited:

APoc184

Honorary Master
Bacon and Mushroom Mac and Cheese with Doritos crust topping.

Only had Fusilli pasta left in the cupboard so used that instead of macaroni.
Tried to scoop it out in nice squares for photo purposes but that didn't work at all. Took a photo anyway.

The fact that there is none left for our lunchboxes tomorrow means it tasted better than it looked. Even the kids went for second helpings.

Apoc184-0778.jpg Apoc184-0783.jpg

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I figured it would be sacrilegious to do a steak in the air fryer, but colour be bloody impressed with the results.

The fatter side came out a bit more rare than I had planned, so will just find my feet in that regard but may very well do it again.

APoc184

Honorary Master
I figured it would be sacrilegious to do a steak in the air fryer, but colour be bloody impressed with the results.

The fatter side came out a bit more rare than I had planned, so will just find my feet in that regard but may very well do it again.

Airfryer does steak very nicely. We do it often.

Nice and even temp through steak and so juicy.

Unfortunately as you found out it does work better with an evenly sliced piece of meat.

And you simply can not get that proper crust on the outside you would with a smoking hot pan.

But popping it in the airfryer for 10min at 200c and going about your other cooking and sure as hell works wonders when you are pressed for time and busy with other home tasks. Bonus is you can leave it to rest in the fryer while finishing up the rest of meal and dishing up.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Airfryer does steak very nicely. We do it often.

Nice and even temp through steak and so juicy.

Unfortunately as you found out it does work better with an evenly sliced piece of meat.

And you simply can not get that proper crust on the outside you would with a smoking hot pan.

But popping it in the airfryer for 10min at 200c and going about your other cooking and sure as hell works wonders when you are pressed for time and busy with other home tasks. Bonus is you can leave it to rest in the fryer while finishing up the rest of meal and dishing up.
10 minutes?

Must be one moerse fat steak that.

I did 3 minutes a side and that was actually near perfect.

I reckon 3,5 minutes next time and I’ll have my medium rare and wife her rare and everyone happy.

I figured the crust wouldn’t work well, which is why I rubbed it beforehand to compensate.

APoc184

Honorary Master
10 minutes?

Must be one moerse fat steak that.

I did 3 minutes a side and that was actually near perfect.

I reckon 3,5 minutes next time and I’ll have my medium rare and wife her rare and everyone happy.

I figured the crust wouldn’t work well, which is why I rubbed it beforehand to compensate.
Jip. I love my sirloin/ribeye on the bone and it is pretty much also the only piece of steak our checkers cut nice and thick. About 3cm thick usually.