Wifi query

ryanjinder

Hi Guys

I am looking at installing a Roku stick to my TV to stream live. what sort of Data usage can one typically expect for this.

second question:

what are the best Wifi upcapped packages currently available in Cape Town?

thanks
Ryan

mister

Executive Member
Hi Guys
I am looking at installing a Roku stick to my TV to stream live. what sort of Data usage can one typically expect for this.

Nobody can answer that unless they know what quality you intend to watch in, and for how many hours.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Netflix Quality Level
Usage per Hour in MB

Good Quality - 310 MB
Better Quality - 720 MB (2mb/s line)
Best Quality – Standard Definition -1.0 GB (4mb/s line)
Best Quality – High Definition - 2.3 GB (10mb/s line)

So a 4meg line where you watch 2hours TV a day will use about 60 gigs and a 10mb/s will use about 138 gigs per month.

Use those as an average.

NetMpofu

It depends on how much time you'll be streaming.

I'm not from CPT, but the best options I'd suggest for streaming is Telkom LTE or Crystal Web adsl(but you'd need to get yourself a router for wifi)

ryanjinder

Netflix Quality Level
Usage per Hour in MB

Good Quality - 310 MB
Better Quality - 720 MB (2mb/s line)
Best Quality – Standard Definition -1.0 GB (4mb/s line)
Best Quality – High Definition - 2.3 GB (10mb/s line)

So a 4meg line where you watch 2hours TV a day will use about 60 gigs and a 10mb/s will use about 138 gigs per month.

Use those as an average.

* thanks Scary_Turtle, are you perhaps aware of any good deals happening in Cape Town currently?

ryanjinder

* thanks Scary_Turtle, are you perhaps aware of any good deals happening in Cape Town currently?

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
I think the best value for money product is Axxess 100gig capped account with uncapped for 12pm-6am for R189 https://www.axxess.co.za/adsl. I would only go with VOX, Afrihost, Axxess and Crystal Web.

Add on a 4meg line from Telkom DON'T let any ISP handle your line go direct to Telkom. Add R299
Then add the Phone call line rental R189 (this is a must unfortunately).

R677p/m for everything. This should cover about 100 hours of streaming and if you want to download do it from 12pm-6am and save your Cap. Its also pretty easy to upgrade your product if 100 gigs isn't enough.

First check what speeds you can get here http://www2.telkom.co.za/checkadsl/check.htm.

ryanjinder

again thanks for the info Scary_turtle.. checked the link you sent me and go the following, do you know what 10(copper) means? says adsl availability service - Not Available?

ADSL Availability
Service Not Available
Maximum speed available in your area 10 (Copper)
To enjoy a faster surfing experience you can upgrade your connection.
Please note: The provision of Telkom's ADSL service is subject to network availability, distance, copper quality and line sync speed limitations. ADSL is a best-effort service.

ryanjinder

Great, thanks for elaborating Scary_Turtle, will certainly look into it.

appreciate the info