Will we ever get 24mbps?

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Since Telkom are no longer in the IPTV market, I assume they are going to stop any or all progress on upgrading their infrastructure to allow 24mbps?
We don't even have 8mbps ffs, and that is the normal ADSL max downlink. When will we ever get 24mbps(ADSL2+)? We are so far behind it's not funny.

matrixweb

Expert Member
Since Telkom are no longer in the IPTV market, I assume they are going to stop any or all progress on upgrading their infrastructure to allow 24mbps?
We don't even have 8mbps ffs, and that is the normal ADSL max downlink. When will we ever get 24mbps(ADSL2+)? We are so far behind it's not funny.
they had said before that 10mbps by the 2010 cup

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
With all the cables coming, i think a situation will be created where companies will have too much bandwidth with current speeds, and at some point, technologies will be put in place to use this bandwidth and gain some the advantage in the market.

Vodacom have said a few times they will be introducing 4g in the future. This will bring wireless speeds of 100mb/s or more. I dont think the wired providers will be able to sit and do nothing in defence.

The future will be good, we just wish it would arrive sooner.

caroper

Executive Member
100 Mbs 512k data bundle = capped in 1 hour and 12 seconds :)

edit:
now I don't trust my own Math, a quick recalc says caped in 25 seconds :)
anyone want to do a correct calculation?

Last edited:

killadoob

Honorary Master
i dont see why we need more speed

give cheaper bandwidth first

although i would love to see news server files flying down at 8meg :)

Deenem

Expert Member
I would say.... never.

ADSL won't go any further here.

Short term, WiMax
Long Term, Fibre

medicnick83

Paramedic
8MBPS is coming soon, someone mentioned it in a thread, 4mb users will trial it.

Not sure when that will happen but ya.
Let's hold thumbs.

icyrus

Executive Member
Expect progress in the telecoms sector when we get an entirely new government. So work out your timeline from when you think its likely that the anc will lose and election.

Keeper

Honorary Master
This country is going to be destroyed by the time 24mb's should of been here.

ZAP_Tech

For the math genius, if it take about and hr or to download 1gig on a four meg line, you can complete 3gig in 3hrs. More less.. So if you hand a 100mb line you would effectively be downlaoding at the a rate of 10Mb/s so a gig should take 1 min and half so 3gigs would die in about 5mins. Taking into account if my math is any good

ZAP_Tech

Bout the 8mb lines currently they just rumours though some people are get 8mb speeds this could mainly be due to them being extremely close to thier exchanges. But we could possibly see the 8mb lines being introduced soon. mainly becuase these lines hav to be test before the world cup for stability.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
My line was perfectly fine for 8mbps. Now its got a bunch of errors on it and will probably only do 5mbps (according to router). So much for progress.

I agree with Killa, the caps are more of a problem.

I don't see adsl2+ working in SA without them redoing the entire copper network...in which case they might as well put fiber in.

ZAP_Tech

The copper lines suck ass, that we know its been giving problems for a while now. If but any chance telkom does redo their infrastructure they should seriously go with fibre everybody will benifit, with out a doubt.

I agree on the cap story, it should be improved 3GB doesn't last and entire month for general web browsing let alone for downloads. The capping eiher needs to fall away entirely (hopefull tinking) or they should triple the amouts for each acount type, with 3GB being the entry level account.

SuPaStA

Expert Member
Sort the cap out first, what is the point of faster speeds if you just going to get capped.

Roman4604

Expert Member
I don't see adsl2+ working in SA without them redoing the entire copper network...in which case they might as well put fiber in.
Partly right. The inherent economic value of ADSL technology is that it uses copper already in the ground. Redoing it would not be financial feasible.

That said, one doesnt need to jump to fibre all the way i.e. FTTH (Fibre To The Home). Even marginal copper will perform at high speeds if its length is kept short, this is the philosophy behind FTTN (Fibre To The Node), the Node being the SDC (Street Distribution Cabinet) at the end of your road where the DSLAMs would need to move to (out of the exchange).

It seems it will take Telkom quite a while to get to FTTN, and FTTH is not even on the radar (except for large businesses). Their current priority is to migrate from outdated/expensive ATM backhaul to Metro Ethernet at the exchanges (per backhaul link capacity will jump from 155Mbps to 10Gbps).

Only once this is done will the have the capacity at the exchanges to feed a curb located FTTN deployment with ADSL2+ customer links up to 24Mbps. My guess about 2-5 years away depending on your location.