Will Windows 8 be better than Windows 7?

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
I would like to know your opinions if Windows 8 Will be better than Windows 7.

Seeing the pattern (XP = The Best OS, VISTA = The Worst OS, 7 = Good OS), I would like to know if it would be woth it upgrading to Windows 8 (from Windows 7) in the future.

Also, if you can put the features windows 8 will have, that would be nice too :)

bl007

I think Windows 7 is way better than XP. :-/.
Direct comparison between XP and 7 is less than useful.
I found it difficult getting used to 7, finding it often frustrating, because I appreciated that what XP did, it did, and still does extremely well. Hence, it still surviving.
I would find it difficult to go back to XP though, having gotten used to Win7.
Windows 7 is a work in progress released before it was ready to be shipped. Much like Vista.
Windows 8 I think will be different from Win7 in that it will incorporate the mobile platform as well as the desktop.
Well that's my understanding of it anyways, there are articles here on MYBB which ran a few weeks ago on Win8.

Last edited:

Mars

Honorary Master
I think 8 is going to be another ME/Vista.

Its just a release to make some money while they work on the proper next OS.

Edit - 5000!!!! :D

Last edited:

killadoob

Honorary Master
I think Windows 7 is way better than XP. :-/.
Hell yea, vista was a mile better than xp and not their worst OS. Windows ME i reckon was the worst. Actually vista was pretty much the same as windows 7, it just used more resources but on a decent rig it ran damn well.

Windows 8 will be great i reckon. Hopefully touch screen will be good because i would love a touch screen computer. Feels much better than a mouse :D

Brawler

Honorary Master
XP was good but it needed a format every 6 months and it is now horribly dated...

It is true that Windows Vista ran decent on good rigs but not everyone is a gamer with a R15 000 PC and it had major networking issues I still need to fix at work :(

Windows 7 best yet do doubt in my books.

Do not like the direction they are taking with Windows 8 after playing with the developers preview.

silentbee

I have Vista on my old notebook that I still use daily. The only thing that frustrates me about it is that I can't drag windows to the screen edge and have them maximise or fill half the screen as you can in 7. Oh. And I had to reinstall the whole OS to get Windows Media Centre back. That was annoying.

I've tried 8 in Virtual box, but I have yet to get it running properly. I think my notebook just doesn't have enough oomf to be fussing about with virtual machines. But it from what I've seen, I think it will be very nice. For a pre-beta, it's impressive.

Last edited:

Grouter

Expert Member
I think 8 is going to be another ME/Vista.

Its just a release to make some money while they work on the proper next OS.

Edit - 5000!!!! :D
+1

XP was good but it needed a format every 6 months and it is now horribly dated...

It is true that Windows Vista ran decent on good rigs but not everyone is a gamer with a R15 000 PC and it had major networking issues I still need to fix at work :(

Windows 7 best yet do doubt in my books.

Do not like the direction they are taking with Windows 8 after playing with the developers preview.
+1

Arthur

Honorary Master
Yes. Win8 will be better than Win7. Which is better than Vista. Which is better than XP.

Off-The-Chart

Expert Member
the 2 major features 8 will seem to have, that I am liking very much is:

- integrated ISO mounting ability
- the way copying files will become more versatile; can add files to a current copy progress, pause certain progress if you want another to have priority (much like the tool TOTALCOPY in XP)

not sure if I will be liking the fact that it seems Explorer will have a very Office'y look... much like Office, they seem to be working on a "stat based" layout such as, how often whichever feature is used most and from that, creating a layout.
(will see if I can find link again to explain better)

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
Thanks guys for your opinions.

Windows XP would still be the best if it had support for directx 10 and 11 - I read in a PCFormat magazine that Windows XP Gives the best gaming performance between Windows XP, Vista and 7, Vista giving the worst gaming performance. I am happy with Windows 7, seems to offer constant speed (In XP, it would be fast when you first use it then it would get slow as you add more files and stuff onto your computer).

Is it true that Dell Laptops don't allow you to upgrade or add another Operating System onto your laptop? - You can only use a Dell Operating System Disk to upgrade.

Grouter

Expert Member
Is it true that Dell Laptops don't allow you to upgrade or add another Operating System onto your laptop? - You can only use a Dell Operating System Disk to upgrade.
Dell, Schmell - ever heard of "format /C:" ? :)

killadoob

Honorary Master
The thing though is barely any new games are dx 9 so the point is moot about gaming performance. Yea the installing xp every 6 months to refresh it got annoying, it was like a different beast after a reinstall.

Windows 7 just runs the same no matter whether it's fresh or a year old which is fantastic.

I doubt it will use less resources but it might. I would think the days of 512mb computing are long gone and the minimum should be 2gb considering the price even 4gb actually.

Well 3gb for those without 64 bit. No idea why people would run 32 bit anymore though.

Ghost29

Seems a bit odd, i thought windows vista was the beta and windows 7 was the finished product :p
Exactly. Windows 7 beta was so extensive, the from RC1 it was consumer worthy. Win 7 is a truly magnificent OS and Vista (esp post SP1) really wasn't that bad.