Gziz.Frique

I am permanently disabled and only receive a tiny SASSA disability grant.

My situation is this:

Someone gave a "broken" laptop to me.
It has a MS Vista Basic logo and Licence Key (underneath)
There was no recovery partition on the hard drive
I cannot afford to BUY a new Windows package
The hard drive is still good and I booted it with a Linux DVD

Is there anybody in Cape Town who could assist me with a borrowed DVD so that I can install Vista, activate it with my licence key and then return the DVD?

The laptop is an Acer eMachines E6259 with AMD Athlon64 800MHz-1.6GHz CPU, 2GB DDR and a 160GB HDD from around 2007-2008, I think. Acer was not helpful when I contacted them some time ago.

Please let me know if anybody can help.

Swa

Honorary Master
What's the model? It may come out with Windows 7 so you can load that instead.

vinodh

Expert Member
eMachines don't make a E6259. I checked on their website and they do make a E625. Also, it fully supports Windows 7 and should therefore support Windows 8. It's a pity you are not around Centurion. I would have sorted out Windows for you and upgraded the drive to a 320GB I have lying around.

If you can get hold of a Windows 8 DVD/ISO, then i'll buy and mail you a genuine Windows 8 key. This will be a better option than Vista and can be upgraded to Windows 8.1 free of charge. Please PM me if you require the Windows 8 key.

Swa

Honorary Master
Laptops don't need separate keys. There's a default OEM key that can be used. BIOS would need to support SLIC 2.1 though but BIOS upgrades sometimes take care of that. It can be tested with SLIC ToolKit. Would need to use the loader by Daz though to install the licenses but will have to do so with Vista in any case.

Gziz.Frique

@Vinodh, thanks for the generous offer! I will go hunting for a Windows 8 DVD in my neck of the woods. Will Win 8 run on this ancient rig at all?

It is an E625, yes, my apology for the typo. I make many mistakes when using the touchpad, somehow.

vinodh

Expert Member
@Vinodh, thanks for the generous offer! I will go hunting for a Windows 8 DVD in my neck of the woods. Will Win 8 run on this ancient rig at all?

It is an E625, yes, my apology for the typo. I make many mistakes when using the touchpad, somehow.

Windows 8 should run fine fine. Contact me once you get hold of a Windows 8 DVD and i'll send you the key.

Last edited:

vinodh

Expert Member
Laptops don't need separate keys. There's a default OEM key that can be used. BIOS would need to support SLIC 2.1 though but BIOS upgrades sometimes take care of that. It can be tested with SLIC ToolKit. Would need to use the loader by Daz though to install the licenses but will have to do so with Vista in any case.

You don't need to use a loader to install the key and certificate: you just have to use slmgr: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn502540.aspx

To use is as follows:

Open an elevated command prompt, type slmgr -ilc C:/NAME.xrm-ms for the certificate and slmgr -ipk xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx for the key.