Wireless AP - Recommendations :D

snugam

Apologies if there has been such a thread before;

I am looking to buy a wireless AP for home use - but it must NOT be a combination ...anything... and it really must not be a marconi;

What is good -

DLINK
LINKSYS
Other brands.

I dont really want to pay more than say R700 but I am looking for some really good stability up to 25 - 35 meters with a few walls inbetween.

I've had this stupid Marconi Wireless Combo router :sick::sick: but it is so unstable and now I'm afraid to buy anything fearing that I might face the same problems again:confused::eek:.

Please help me with; what is good, and please tell me if you've had a good experience with wireless so that I can get some confidence in it again.

happy posting - :D

Syndyre

Honorary Master
You can't go wrong with a Linksys WRT54GL, especially if you load DD-WRT firmware on it. ;) Had perfect stability with mine.

Raizon.I.T.

Dealer
I tried to install the Dlink in a clients house, it needed to reach a range a range of about 15m with a LOT of walls in between and it wouldn't give any signal.

Having said that, I don't really recommend the Dlink, but yes.. Syndyre is spot on with the Linksys. Also had one for about 2 - 3 years, never gave me problems until Telkom power surged my house, blowing it to pieces :p

MadMailMan

Expert Member
I use the Netgear WG102, for commercial and home use. Very happy with them but I think they may cost a bit more than the Linksys.

Brawler

Honorary Master
+1 Netgear - have the DG834GT router at home, work & sold dozens. never had a second trouble.

Syndyre

Honorary Master
I tried to install the Dlink in a clients house, it needed to reach a range a range of about 15m with a LOT of walls in between and it wouldn't give any signal.

Having said that, I don't really recommend the Dlink, but yes.. Syndyre is spot on with the Linksys. Also had one for about 2 - 3 years, never gave me problems until Telkom power surged my house, blowing it to pieces :p

With DD-WRT you can increase the transmitter power as well which might help if you need more range.