Wireless Networking Help

Ultra_Immortal

Hi,

My friend lives down the road from me and I would like to setup a wireless network so we can play LAN Games and share internet.

He lives no more than 100 metres from me. He might even be 25 metres from me. I haven't measured, but he is close.

What equipment would we both need?

I am very knowledgeable with LANs, but I haven't had much experience with WLANs.

Thank You

Nod

Executive Member
Wireless routers (obviously) with external directional antennas. Not sure about the details, but this should be a good start I think.

ColinR

Expert Member
Two routerboards, with grids on either side. Done: install and forget.

curVV

I'd go for 2.4GHz 8.5dBi outdoor directional antennas. A 5dBi antenna should do the trick but not sure if smaller than 8.5 is available for outdoors :confused: Typical distance for 54Mbps 8.5dBi at 2.4GHz is about 400m depending on environment.

Russian

Hi,

What you need is:
2x Wifi AP`s, @least 108MBs
2x outdoor antenas. With a good gain would say 11dbi or more if u can aford (For games)

Keep the antena cable as short as possible, longer cable = more of a loss in dbi

That shoud ceep u bussy for a wile. I prefer D-link products like a dwl-2100AP, your choice

Russian

You can get 1x Wifi card for the pc and 1x Ap aswell. I would not use a adhoc wifi network.