Xbox Series X / S

Markd

Expert Member
So I bought the game.

so if you think about this, they have 5,564 reviews on Steam at the moment. On average a game gets a review for every 58 copies sold I believe, but if we make some nice assumptions here and assume they're beating that trend and getting a review every 35 copies or so, at the currently discounted price of R422 on Steam, then thats:

35 x 5564 x 422 = R82,180,280.00 and if Steam take their 30% cut for distribution on their platform that leaves them with R57,526,196.00

Thats on STEAM! I don't know how the revenue model would work on GamePass, but damn, not bad for 12 people. They each scored about R4.8million from this release!

So ja they better damn respond on Steam/Reddit/Wherever xD Nice work.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
so if you think about this, they have 5,564 reviews on Steam at the moment. On average a game gets a review for every 58 copies sold I believe, but if we make some nice assumptions here and assume they're beating that trend and getting a review every 35 copies or so, at the currently discounted price of R422 on Steam, then thats:

35 x 5564 x 422 = R82,180,280.00 and if Steam take their 30% cut for distribution on their platform that leaves them with R57,526,196.00

Thats on STEAM! I don't know how the revenue model would work on GamePass, but damn, not bad for 12 people. They each scored about R4.8million from this release!

In dollar terms that's only about $300,000. And it would probably have been a few years worth of work...

Markd

Expert Member
In dollar terms that's only about $300,000. And it would probably have been a few years worth of work...

so it's likely quite a bit more than that, and they live in Sweden. Not sure what the cost of living is like there, but these guys have done well for themselves and they've probably got a bit of mileage to come from this. This is the sort of story that gets people to continue believing that they could make a life making games, though 99% of them are going to get crushed. Happy for these guys. At some point they probably have some ports in their future - Epic Games Store, PS4/5, Switch maybe, just to build that long-tail.

But you are right in that they must have had some upfront investment to get to this point that needs to be repaid with interest. Still, its great.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master

They deserve every cent of that. I really Love the game.... bugs and all.

PS: Don't forget the 3/4 years of development with no income. A couple of us tried it back in day, worked for months on a mobile game with no income and in the end saw maybe 5 sales..... A year later we release some more add-supported apps and the income from that = pocket change

Went f it and went back to working for "The Man".

Ok 2 of the other dev's continued on releasing more apps and such and every once in a while I do get a lucky packet check but that is pure spending money and not enough to make a living off.

Markd

Expert Member
They deserve every cent of that. I really Love the game.... bugs and all.

PS: Don't forget the 3/4 years of development with no income. A couple of us tried it back in day, worked for months on a mobile game with no income and in the end saw maybe 5 sales..... A year later we release some more add-supported apps and the income from that = pocket change

Went f it and went back to working for "The Man".

Ok 2 of the other dev's continued on releasing more apps and such and every once in a while I do get a lucky packet check but that is pure spending money and not enough to make a living off.

I hear you man. I've released a couple of apps and over the last year they made the grand total of $1.68 from ads. I'm happy to have made anything at all, but ja, its not a living. Thats what makes it so special when a team actually does make it, because the odds are stacked against them. Currently also working for the big guy but the experience has given me some perspectives that are going to lead me to try a different angle, with the view that maybe I could come up with a reasonable side hustle within a couple of years. We'll see.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Freaking hell, the Ascent is done and dusted, all side missions, all codexes unlocked twice and yet quite a few achievements didn't unlock, the first play thru the freaking cut scene lost sound, second play through we had sound but nothing unlocked sigh.
Great game but buggy as hell yet still fun.

bokka1

Expert Member
I just started The Ascent and I am loving it.

How this is on a 66 score on Metacritic is crazy.

IssiAmd

Would appreciate some recommendations.
Coming from Playstation, last xbox was a 360.
Games I enjoyed on PS4

TLOU
Horizon
Spiderman
Uncharted
Ratchet and Clank

Basically a good, story based game.

Which games are similar on Xbox?
Preferably on gamepass

Lupus

Honorary Master
I just started The Ascent and I am loving it.

How this is on a 66 score on Metacritic is crazy.
The bugs can get to much. To name a few :
1. Sound glitches out often, sometimes guns sound disappear, voices and cut scenes.
2. Graphics glitch
3. Crashing
4. Lose of items, I've lost items after the game crashed, a buddy I play coop with lost everything after a crash.
5. Don't get attached to a weapon or outfit skin.
6. Achievement glitches, I've not received about 5 of them.

Game is really fun, but I can see why some people gave it that bad score.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
Would appreciate some recommendations.
Coming from Playstation, last xbox was a 360.
Games I enjoyed on PS4

TLOU
Horizon
Spiderman
Uncharted
Ratchet and Clank

Basically a good, story based game.

Which games are similar on Xbox?
Preferably on gamepass
1st Disclaimer on my suggestions
The games you want are the type of games I normally avoid? In Fact I normally hate the "Interactive movies"

The story based GamePass games I have played and did kinda enjoy is:

But yes, I am more into the RPG Kind of scene with loot drops and such.

Might wanna use the options on the side of https://gamepassport.net/ to narrow down your search

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
Freaking hell, the Ascent is done and dusted, all side missions, all codexes unlocked twice and yet quite a few achievements didn't unlock, the first play thru the freaking cut scene lost sound, second play through we had sound but nothing unlocked sigh.
Great game but buggy as hell yet still fun.

Ditto, Still have some odd side missions to do but main story complete.

What I like most about the game is, after end credits.... ie: the plot thickens ie expecting a sequel.

Great game bugs and all, even better if you play with friends.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Ditto, Still have some odd side missions to do but main story complete.

What I like most about the game is, after end credits.... ie: the plot thickens ie expecting a sequel.

Great game bugs and all, even better if you play with friends.
Did everything :( really isn't a long game at all and the bugs still get me, about 5 achievements just didn't unlock.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
The game is gorgeous, just a pity about it's length.

I know hey?

At least the bit after end credits makes it seems that its not the end of the story, not by a long shot. Lets hope we don't have to wait another 4 years for it to come out. Wonder if they will not drop a DLC or 2 in the mean time (After primary bug fixes that is)

Also 8-15 hours of play is well worth the R400 it was priced at.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I know hey?

At least the bit after end credits makes it seems that its not the end of the story, not by a long shot. Lets hope we don't have to wait another 4 years for it to come out. Wonder if they will not drop a DLC or 2 in the mean time (After primary bug fixes that is)

Also 8-15 hours of play is well worth the R400 it was priced at.
Hey for me it was even better at R150pm :) but yeah I actually finished it twice in about 15 hours.