Xbox Series X / S

mr_norris

Expert Member
I finished The Medium last night. Rated it 4 stars. For me it was something between "OK" and "brilliant", but definitely neither of those extremes. I am not a fan of horror games at all, so that may have affected my score a bit. It's a pretty game - possibly the best looking game on the console I've seen, but storywise - rather dark / messed up at times. As for the ending...

I don't get it at all. Instead of a solid conclusion they sort of hinted at what happened, and I don't know why. It seems to be a "interpret as you please even though it's semi clear what happened" sort of things. I don't get the point at all. Perhaps they didn't want to show gore when the gun was shot? Who knows.

One thing that puzzles me is the review system on the Xbox. I thought it would be possible to type out a review on my phone, but it seems that's a no go - thought I could leave a review in the Xbox app, but it's a big NO. I wasn't too keen on typing with a controller, so I just left it at the 4 star rating.

Some other random thoughts:

* I like the sound that plays when you get a rare achievement. It makes the experience especial :D
* The controls can be a bit clunky at times, but I kind of expected that with this sort of game. Same frustrations with games like Until Dawn / Man of Medan.
* The texture pop in was a bit annoying when inspecting things you've picked up. I know that they are working on this, but it was still annoying.
* The frame drops / stutter at times is quite noticeable. More often than not it's a very smooth experience though, so I can't really complain.
* The facial animations could have used a bit of work

Otherwise I feel like this title is worthy of the "Xbox Series X|S (and PC) exclusive" badge.

martin

Expert Member
I finished The Medium last night. Rated it 4 stars. For me it was something between "OK" and "brilliant", but definitely neither of those extremes. I am not a fan of horror games at all, so that may have affected my score a bit. It's a pretty game - possibly the best looking game on the console I've seen, but storywise - rather dark / messed up at times. As for the ending...

I don't get it at all. Instead of a solid conclusion they sort of hinted at what happened, and I don't know why. It seems to be a "interpret as you please even though it's semi clear what happened" sort of things. I don't get the point at all. Perhaps they didn't want to show gore when the gun was shot? Who knows.

One thing that puzzles me is the review system on the Xbox. I thought it would be possible to type out a review on my phone, but it seems that's a no go - thought I could leave a review in the Xbox app, but it's a big NO. I wasn't too keen on typing with a controller, so I just left it at the 4 star rating.

* I like the sound that plays when you get a rare achievement. It makes the experience especial :D
* The controls can be a bit clunky at times, but I kind of expected that with this sort of game. Same frustrations with games like Until Dawn / Man of Medan.
* The texture pop in was a bit annoying when inspecting things you've picked up. I know that they are working on this, but it was still annoying.
* The frame drops / stutter at times is quite noticeable. More often than not it's a very smooth experience though, so I can't really complain.
* The facial animations could have used a bit of work

Otherwise I feel like this title is worthy of the "Xbox Series X|S (and PC) exclusive" badge.
Thank you, this was really helpful. Honest and concise review :thumbsup:.

(I've been on the fence about installing it but now feel comfortable investing some time in it at some point)

AlphaJohn

Executive Member

Funny thing....

The Xbox Series S suffered less from frame drops & texture pop than the X, but I suspect its cause of the lower res assists. Not the only one that seen this as all X user reviews complained and S users did not.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
I loved AoE back in the day - somehow AoE III just doesn't grab me in the same way.

Not sure why

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
I loved AoE back in the day - somehow AoE III just doesn't grab me in the same way.

Not sure why

I love AOE, better than hack and slash but I lately do find myself leaning more to pet/minion classses...

Oh wait you talking about another aoe.... nevamind.

bar1

Expert Member
IIRC, you buy 36 months gold, load them all up, then buy gamepass (1 month). The gamepass trick won't work if you have an active gamepass sub though. So be sure that's the case first.
just want to make 100% sure....is the safest option to create a new account?i already have a game pass until june....worried that by june i wont be able to upgrade.

is the one time upgrade still working also?

Brawler

Honorary Master
Are people happy with the Series S?
Particularly interested in Apex Legends.
I recently sold my gaming PC as I was spending a bit too much time on it and due to the market, got a great price. Basically lost no money for a year of use.
Missing the odd hour of gaming 'escapism' so considering getting the Series S for some light mind-numbing fun.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Are people happy with the Series S?
Particularly interested in Apex Legends.
I recently sold my gaming PC as I was spending a bit too much time on it and due to the market, got a great price. Basically lost no money for a year of use.
Missing the odd hour of gaming 'escapism' so considering getting the Series S for some light mind-numbing fun.
I loooove my Series S so much that my gaming PC soon gonna file for divorce :D

If you ok with i5, 8 gig ram, Nvidia 1650 size PC then yes S rocks....
If you looking for i7 3070 type of experience... then look at X.

ld13

Honorary Master
just want to make 100% sure....is the safest option to create a new account?i already have a game pass until june....worried that by june i wont be able to upgrade.

is the one time upgrade still working also?

Everything is still working as normal. :)
For now...

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Everything is still working as normal. :)
For now...

I really don't get this type of comment?

Even the most demanding game of today can be run on a donkey from years ago... all that is needed is to drop the refresh and resolution in order for it to work, and that is something the developers do for you so you don't have to pick and prod options like there is no tomorrow eg PC.

Also, looking at Cyberpunk 2077 that kinda died on a One X, yet ran smooth as butter on Series S, I would say its more than capable. Hell people with more than capable PC had more issues than Series S.

The reason people go for consoles as that for the next 7 years they know they wont need to upgrade, and developers know they have Z and Y to target to hit.

Special Note: Xbox One port of Cyberpunk has since been fixed (Tuned) to work as well ;)

Pegasus

Executive Member

Even the most demanding game of today can be run on a donkey from years ago... all that is needed is to drop the refresh and resolution in order for it to work, and that is something the developers do for you so you don't have to pick and prod options like there is no tomorrow eg PC.

Also, looking at Cyberpunk 2077 that kinda died on a One X, yet ran smooth as butter on Series S, I would say its more than capable. Hell people with more than capable PC had more issues than Series S.

The reason people go for consoles as that for the next 7 years they know they wont need to upgrade, and developers know they have Z and Y to target to hit.

Special Note: Xbox One port of Cyberpunk has since been fixed (Tuned) to work as well ;)
Yep.
I have an Apple for a pc, and went Xbox for games.

bar1

Expert Member

I think he was replying to me...

Brawler

Honorary Master
I loooove my Series S so much that my gaming PC soon gonna file for divorce :D

If you ok with i5, 8 gig ram, Nvidia 1650 size PC then yes S rocks....
If you looking for i7 3070 type of experience... then look at X.

I'm coming from a proper setup i7 2070 Super 1440p 155hz type thing.
I know it's going to be a downgrade and I don't mind as long I don't feel like I'm too disadvantaged compared to others in online lobbies. I.e. me playing at 30fps vs others at 120fps where I get instakilled without a chance and end up throwing the thing out the window. I just can't justify the full-on gaming PC for the limited gaming time I have these days.

Lupus

Honorary Master
My series X does run better then my PC. Though it's a mid range PC, Ryzen 2600, 2060 Super and 16GB. Wasn't to bad a year ago, but it does get 90 or so FPS at 1440p for most games, but they don't look as good.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
I know it's going to be a downgrade and I don't mind as long I don't feel like I'm too disadvantaged compared to others in online lobbies. I.e. me playing at 30fps vs others at 120fps where I get instakilled without a chance and end up throwing the thing out the window. I just can't justify the full-on gaming PC for the limited gaming time I have these days.
Is the Series X not an option?

There are games like Black Ops and a few others that run at 120 FPS in multiplayer on X and PS5. Not sure what they run at on S...

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
With above in mind I would say go X

I came from a 1060 so S feels like an upgrade for me, doubt you will be happy with it as its too much of a drop.