Your Favourite Open Source Software?

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Apache has a CRM too.. uhm Ofbiz https://ofbiz.apache.org/
Yes. It certainly qualifies and I'll add it to the list. I've never looked into it in great detail as the docs used to be a bit lacking (May be better now). Decent documentation tends to be one of my selection criteria for FLOSS software. A few people raved about iDempiere over Adempiere a few years ago but the iDempiere documentation was more or less non-existent at the time.

krycor

Honorary Master
Yes. It certainly qualifies and I'll add it to the list. I've never looked into it in great detail as the docs used to be a bit lacking (May be better now). Decent documentation tends to be one of my selection criteria for FLOSS software. A few people raved about iDempiere over Adempiere a few years ago but the iDempiere documentation was more or less non-existent at the time.

It’s stuck in legacy as it’s feature rich, allows dev, can scale etc but the deployment is still Java application based with a somewhat dated interface.

Every so often I check to see if they have pushed an official container based soln and moderne interfaces as for the feature set it’s seems great.

krycor

Honorary Master
Proxmox https://www.proxmox.com/en/proxmox-ve

Not sure why I didn’t pick up on this before.. essentially it is a bare-metal hypervisor that is open source and also allows containers hosted directly on the hypervisor.

Seems feature rich and a mature open source project. Good replacement for esxi/VMware(apparently they soon getting kubernetes)

InvisibleJim

Expert Member

Not sure why I didn’t pick up on this before.. essentially it is a bare-metal hypervisor that is open source and also allows containers hosted directly on the hypervisor.

Seems feature rich and a mature open source project. Good replacement for esxi/VMware(apparently they soon getting kubernetes)
Proxmox has been around for a while and I think I first became aware of it because it was popular on this forum at one time - Also I think when HP Micro Servers for home servers were very popular.

My own limited attempts to play with it were curtailed as it didn't want to install on my test box at the time (which had a fairly low spec CPU and may not have had something Proxmox wanted!) and I never got around to going back to it.

It still looks good on paper. I also like the look of their server backup offering which I think is the closest I have seen to an open source Veeam or Arcserve (one of the spaces where proprietary still dominates over FLOSS) but it still looks like it has a way to go to match the proprietary offerings. I do like that it's written in Rust as I've considered a few times how nice it would be if there was a FLOSS Veeam alternative written in Go or Rust

InvisibleJim

Expert Member

Have you also looked at XCP-ng, oVirt and Harvester?

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Some of you may have noticed that some well known open source databases have been conspicuous by their absence on the list so I have added a Databases and Database Utilities category.

If you are an accidental DBA responsible for a high transacting SQL server such as Syspro, Sage Evolution or similar, I strongly recommend looking at the Ola Hallengren SQL Server Maintenance Solution to set up a SQL backup scheme including a daily full backup and frequent transaction log backups (say every 20 or 30 minutes) on top of whatever server backups you are doing.

This will give you point in time recovery for your database - you can literally restore your DB to any point between the full backup and the last transaction log backup - maybe a few seconds before your data was corrupted by malware for example. A lot of people don't know that SQL Server has this built in and are left restoring from last night's backup if they lose a DB.

MDE

Expert Member
Came across this in a YT video.

Haven't tried it yet but looks interesting.

rrh

Expert Member

Looks bloody awesome !! :)

InvisibleJim

Expert Member

Nice. Thanks

InvisibleJim

Expert Member