2019 Salary Increase

jman

Expert Member
Except, I won't be better off. The place is 110km away from home and petrol expenses will kill that increase.
Jeepers, did you go for an interview even though you knew this beforehand?

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Jeepers, did you go for an interview even though you knew this beforehand?
There are more variables at play here.
The recruiter promised to get me what I wanted, the company was in line with that as well until they asked for my pay slip.
At the end of the day, what they are offering now is not an increase:
I would lose the 7.75% interest rate that I am paying on my house.
I get less leave.
I travel a lot further.

I was interviewed for a team lead role. I passed that portion of the interview.
When HR came back with the offer, they told me that they want to first see how I am with the team in a Senior Dev role (based on a psychometric test) before I get the team lead role (This was not on paper either).
I don't get it... I've been a team lead for the last 5 years.

I also needed interview experience.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
The recruiter promised to get me what I wanted, the company was in line with that as well until they asked for my pay slip.
I get less leave.
I travel a lot further.

When HR came back with the offer, they told me that they want to first see how I am with the team in a Senior Dev role (based on a psychometric test) before I get the team lead role (This was not on paper either).

Standard responses from a company trying to fill spaces, and being cheap skates about it.

Guarantee that if you took the role, you would have been a Senior Dev forever, and had zero chance of the Team Lead role.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Standard responses from a company trying to fill spaces, and being cheap skates about it.

Guarantee that if you took the role, you would have been a Senior Dev forever, and had zero chance of the Team Lead role.
Exactly, I know this for a fact.
Companies promise you things without putting it on paper. This is a sure sign that you will never get into the role.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Exactly, I know this for a fact.
Companies promise you things without putting it on paper. This is a sure sign that you will never get into the role.
Yup..

I also wish companies wouldn't ask for payslips. They should offer what they feel a person is worth or what the person asks for if they feel the value is there....

PoppieChoffel

Expert Member
Congrats to all with a prospect of getting a salary increase, I am sitting in suspense and at 12:00 tomorrow I will know whether I will still have a job.......:( They've scheduled feedback sessions from 9:00, 15 minutes per person. Out of the current 26 in our group, only 14 will still have a position.
Sheesh.... holding thumbs!

Marcell1992

Kind of interested to know these huge vs no increase sectors. Private or public? Consistent yearly increases in those numbers? Sounds like software development.

Compared to the zero percenters I'm happy with my 8.5ish% increase. We consistently get above inflation each year, our bonus is performance based, but it's a percentage of your salary, so that also goes up yearly. Not happy if there is jobs offering 15%+ consistently yearly, as we never see an increase above 10%.

jman

Expert Member
I get less leave.
I travel a lot further.

Yeah no, you need to add up all the benefits off your payslip too. (like if your 7,75% home loan falls away, what's the difference). Also leave, there's a monetary value to that too - you can cash it out if you so wish.

If they want to be cheapskate, it's not a company you want to work for anyway, aside from the fact that they want to place you in a lesser position

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Yeah no, you need to add up all the benefits off your payslip too. (like if your 7,75% home loan falls away, what's the difference). Also leave, there's a monetary value to that too - you can cash it out if you so wish.

If they want to be cheapskate, it's not a company you want to work for anyway, aside from the fact that they want to place you in a lesser position
To add to this, since I can sell my leave days at my current company (I think you can build 15 "encashable" leave days per year), should I add the figure of what I'll get paid out to my CTC?

Method

Executive Member
To add to this, since I can sell my leave days at my current company (I think you can build 15 "encashable" leave days per year), should I add the figure of what I'll get paid out to my CTC?
Yep, it will be part of your CTC

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Need a new bloody job. Currently employee of the year. My increase - 2.9%. someone in my team. 8%. **** HR and my boss

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Need a new bloody job. Currently employee of the year. My increase - 2.9%. someone in my team. 8%. **** HR and my boss
Their 8% could work out to less than your 2.9. Hard to judge unless you know what they're earning.

All these percentages here meaning nothing without knowing what it's a percentage of...

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
I would. If I'm expected to take a cut in my leave days, I need to be compensated accordingly. Those are paid days off which you will now be spending working...

jman

Expert Member
I would. If I'm expected to take a cut in my leave days, I need to be compensated accordingly. Those are paid days off which you will now be spending working...
What he said. Especially since you can take those as cash if you so wish.