ADSL pricing shake-up likely after SAIX Lite launch

BayCityRoller

Telkom... drop the line rental price .... Thats a shake up.

Not enough of a 'shake-up', I'd say.

Every few months it seems, they come out with some or other hype - last time around it was the increase from 4 to 10Mb for a small % of their customers. Now that that's out of the limelight, they're trying this avenue.

A drop in ADSL line rentals, along with increased speeds to at least 1Mb for all their customer base is what's needed, but they've now side-tracked themselves (or us ?) with their ''ate-aah'' offering.

iCubed.Saajid

Remember that this is Telkom responding to IS and to a lesser extent MWEB, at a wholesale level. ISPs will still have to add their own margin on top of the SAIX wholesale rate. This is targeted at smaller ISPs who don't have their own IPC pipes and simply resell SAIX accounts.

I just don't see too many ISPs rushing to sign up for this, unless it is priced quite well below IS wholesale rates. You simply can't beat Afrihost capped, unshaped accounts starting at R9.50 per GB, or Axxess Lite at R19 per GB. Both these accounts perform better then WebAfrica's so claimed premium-quality accounts, and offer high quality bandwidth. Yes from time to time things do go a bit pear-shaped, especially if SEACOM or Neotel's backhaul of SEACOM goes down. But this affects all ISPs, incl. MWEB, and could happen to SAIX as well if SAT3 goes down, which is not too far-fetched.

Telkom are simply too fat, slow, bloated, and dumbed-down to bring anything competitive or innovative to the market. They're like an over-weight, retarded elephant trying to run with the zebras.

Alan

Honorary Master
meh when are the ridiculous line rental prices dropping. That is the biggest hurdle preventing progress now.

Oh and still waiting for telscum to update my line to 10mbs.

grok

Honorary Master
It's not really a shake-up if their "half-price" is still R20 - R30. That's 2009 prices .. even R10/gig won't get me excited as I'm getting my unshaped at R4.50/gig.

Oh, yeah Telkom, time to 1) drastically reduce your ludicrous R15/gig for local 2) drop your ridiculously high line rental charges.

You are not acting in the 'spirit of the internet' with your high prices.

Kabal

Had this been a few months ago, it might have been news, now is it just wasted bandwidth. I am also an online gamer I support MWEB 100%, even if my pings sucks right now, which i did not see, played bf2 yesterday on sgs and it was normal. It might encourage mweb to created their own gaming servers.

Dosti

So they are about to launch R20 or lower international GB pricing but they still charge R15 for local GB's. Fail!!

but who is complaining, I get 9 gig blended and 30 gig local for R229, ok + dsl/line rental, still goooood enough, and u pay R15 only if u exceed 30 Gb.

Dosti

Saajid, ur comments because u have bad experiences or/and bad choices. I am sure ur business evolved with Telkom services, what does that make your business, an off spring parasite relying on the elephant amongst zebras. Remeber Telkom can "kill" the market with it's available resources, your business and others will be first in line knocking on Icasa and competiton tribunal complaining of pricing. Forum members already complaining of MWEBs services, yet many brag to their excellent offerings. Lets see how long uncapped and cheap services last, like the saying goes, cheap will always come without quality.

Last edited:

Penquin

Expert Member
but who is complaining, I get 9 gig blended and 30 gig local for R229, ok + dsl/line rental, still goooood enough, and u pay R15 only if u exceed 30 Gb.
You shouldn't pay anything at all for local SAIX data with Telkom as ISP. It should be free, it doesn't cost them a cent. They just milk you for extra revenue.

Penquin

Expert Member
Saajid, ur comments because u have bad experiences or/and bad choices. I am sure ur business evolved with Telkom services, what does that make your business, an off spring parasite relying on the elephant amongst zebras. Remeber Telkom can "kill" the market with it's available resources, your business and others will be first in line knocking on Icasa and competiton tribunal complaining of pricing. Forum members already complaining of MWEBs services, yet many brag to their excellent offerings. Lets see how long uncapped and cheap services last, like the saying goes, cheap will always come without quality.
Uncapped isn't cheap, it's starting to get more realistic but still far from International pricing.

johnelis

Oh this is going to be good, cant wait to get cheap DSL that isn't directly affected when SEACOM goes down.

You can say that again, that last Seacom debacle was a real pain. I hope the Seacom only providers also ensure they have redundancy.

johnelis

Not enough of a 'shake-up', I'd say.

A drop in ADSL line rentals, along with increased speeds to at least 1Mb for all their customer base is what's needed, but they've now side-tracked themselves (or us ?) with their ''ate-aah'' offering.

This would be very appealing yes.

Shayd

Expert Member

Hey genius, do you know that the average consumption per account on MWEB is a mere 12.7GB. Uncapped isn't going anywhere! Most people take uncapped because it gives you a nice fixed cost for "internet" with no chance of getting cut off.

And kissing the ass of the incumbent monopoly while they douse your wallet and set it on fire is just plain stupid. But please don't let me stop you.

Last edited:

simbao53

I wouldn't hold my breath for this offering! but how knows, I like surprises!!!

alt21

I haven't used a Telkom DSL account for quite a couple of years now, really no need and dropping the price to just above the competition doesn't make me want to change to them again.

DailyTech

Telkom needs to drop the prices on data speeds; data is cheap enough - we now need SPEED !!

Entry level should be 1Mbps !

They should make their 3 speeds: Fast = 1Mbps, Faster = 4Mbps and Fastest = 10Mbps !!

scr3w them !!

LabAnimal

Expert Member
arg... Telkom, Cut the crap, and lower your prices! Calling things "Lite" does not fool us, however it scares me a bit to think what you've done to these products to let it out cheaper!.... Don't want to know, don't care, won't recommend, won't use! - NO THANKS! ;)

LabAnimal

Expert Member
Hey genius, do you know that the average consumption per account on MWEB is a mere 12.7GB. Uncapped isn't going anywhere! Most people take uncapped because it gives you a nice fixed cost for "internet" with no chance of getting cut off.

And kissing the ass of the incumbent monopoly while they douse you wallet and set it on fire is just plain stupid. But please don't let me stop you.

Can't agree more! Been on uncapped for years. Now that I finally have 4meg, i've run out of idea's of what to get!.... so in all, there are days on end sometimes that the connection sits idle! 600gig was nothing, nowerdays its more like 20 - 50gig... if that!