ADSL pricing shake-up likely after SAIX Lite launch

AnimateX

I dunno. "Telkom" is the first swear-word, and "lite" is the other.

Colour me sceptical, and you'd be right.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
R10 a gig is my absolute upper limit, and thats for quality. Anything more and an uncapped account makes infinitely more sense.

Its still nice to see a drop in prices, especially from telkom.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
I can't wait to see proper "R5 a gig" accounts. I'm using the afrihost special at the moment, which is giving me that, but obviously its only a special.

Pity telkom refuses to drop its ipc pricing.

Xzib1t

Expert Member
Oh this is going to be good, cant wait to get cheap DSL that isn't directly affected when SEACOM goes down.

Shayd

Expert Member
So their "lite" account is going to be deprioritizes during peak periods and will be shaped. How will this compete with the Axxess lite and Afrihost completely unshaped accounts of the same price and the fact that they fall on the wrong side of the MWEB routing wall. Until more details emerge I will hold back my judgement but till then I smell a FAIL.

inferno

This could be interesting. Telkoms network is by far the fastest and most extent in SA. Their b/w available is way higher than that of IS and others. I wonder if users will even feel the difference during high load.

So their "lite" account is going to be deprioritizes during peak periods and will be shaped. How will this compete with the Axxess lite and Afrihost completely unshaped accounts of the same price and the fact that they fall on the wrong side of the MWEB routing wall. Until more details emerge I will hold back my judgement but till then I smell a FAIL.

Mweb is the wrong side lol. While I agree with their cause, I'm not blinded by the hype. Everything I access which is ping sensitive is on telkoms side of the wall. The gamers who are with mweb are complaining horribly about it all. The SGS servers are by far the most popular, and mweb doesnt even make an impact compared to them. A number of mweb gamers I have spoken to have had to buy accounts with other ISP's just to play a decent game of bc2 and cod4.

I hope they do free the web, however I dont see it working.

sunsoffun

Expert Member
Telkom... drop the line rental price and offer naked. Thats a shake up.

Johnfpro

Until the line rental is dropped or even reduced Telkom DSL rate changes will put them in the pack with all the other "uncapped" offerings. Hey, maybe they'll offer a data line rental only?

Penquin

Expert Member
So they are about to launch R20 or lower international GB pricing but they still charge R15 for local GB's. Fail!!

Shayd

Expert Member
This could be interesting. Telkoms network is by far the fastest and most extent in SA. Their b/w available is way higher than that of IS and others. I wonder if users will even feel the difference during high load.

Mweb is the wrong side lol. While I agree with their cause, I'm not blinded by the hype. Everything I access which is ping sensitive is on telkoms side of the wall. The gamers who are with mweb are complaining horribly about it all. The SGS servers are by far the most popular, and mweb doesnt even make an impact compared to them. A number of mweb gamers I have spoken to have had to buy accounts with other ISP's just to play a decent game of bc2 and cod4.

I hope they do free the web, however I dont see it working.

Having MWEB as your primary ISP and then buying a gig or two of unshaped for gaming still firmly puts you in the MWEB camp bud. Anyhow did you not see the "DEPRIORITIZED" part of this product? How is that good for gamers?

This is like feeding the family dog scraps from the table and calling him the head of the family. Just cause he is fun to play with doesn't make him important. And if your dad ships him away to a farm, it's time to start playing with the new dog.

Last edited:

Tobi-5520

Telkom... drop the line rental price and offer naked. Thats a shake up.

Even if data is given away for free it is still more expensive for me to be on ADSL - moved to Cell C - cheaper, faster and no downtime sofar

manesan

Took them a year to respond to other ISP's and its still expensive.