Afrihost Capped ADSL Feedback (MTN) - New beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's your full allocation, so that would be be 100% of your data, regardless of what you've used. Depends on what you have with us. We're also adding the double data, so I think it's pretty fair to say it's not working against you.

Aaah... that explains it. It sounded like you had allocated data to the AfriGreen account that was seperate from the MTN accounts.

ClientZone is still adding the two together as remaining data;

clientzone.jpg

Should be half that as both pools are depleted simultaneously when either is used.

clientzone.jpg

Could be confusing... do I have 20GB left or 10GB??
 
It's your full allocation, so that would be be 100% of your data, regardless of what you've used. Depends on what you have with us. We're also adding the double data, so I think it's pretty fair to say it's not working against you.

Yeah but
So you can actually get a lot more data out and not pay more.
is nonsense.
 
Aaah... that explains it. It sounded like you had allocated data to the AfriGreen account that was seperate from the MTN accounts.

ClientZone is still adding the two together as remaining data;

View attachment 235214

Should be half that as both pools are depleted simultaneously when either is used.

View attachment 235216

Could be confusing... do I have 20GB left or 10GB??

Might just be an oversight in the ClientZone calculation. As far as I can tell, they are two seperate data links, both with separate allocations (by username).
 
Just like most others in this thread, I've been having issues with Afrihost for the past few weeks. I also decided to try out Vox's deal recently and just like that, I had fast and stable internet again.

Until yesterday that is. My VDSL line is with Afrihost and I originally had an uncapped account with them, later dropping it to 150GB (75 + 75) capped. I get home to find my connection was dead, so restart router, starts working again. Slow as it's ever been (this was on Vox) so I swap over to the AH account I still have active and it's even worse, not just slow, but timeouts galore.

Logged onto Clientzone to see if they've sorted their "Fix My Line" option (hasn't been working for months), they haven't. I noticed that my router was saying I was syncing at 2meg (it's a 40meg line, which it's been running at since December), I did the line test and it turned out to be the case.

Logged a call at 8pm, they got back to me over 4 hours later telling me that Telkom has downgraded my line to 2meg completely inexplicably and that they are looking into it.

As of posting this, I am yet to hear back from them about it.

After almost a week, this issue has still not been resolved. I've been contacting you guys via support tickets, via PMs here and even tried via Facebook.
No one can even tell me why this happened. What am I supposed to do as a client of yours? Should I contact Telkom directly? Should I start shouting and swearing so someone takes me seriously?
 
After almost a week, this issue has still not been resolved. I've been contacting you guys via support tickets, via PMs here and even tried via Facebook.
No one can even tell me why this happened. What am I supposed to do as a client of yours? Should I contact Telkom directly? Should I start shouting and swearing so someone takes me seriously?

Definitely no need to shout or swear. I think that only makes things worse, to be honest.

I'm not sure that I have the full history of this to take further. Can you drop me a PM with more information. Definitely want to do everything I can to get this on track for you :(
 
You can verify in ClientZone. Both data links should have the full monthly allocation. So were definitely not penalising or incurring any cost to clients testing the network.

I didnt say you were, but nobody is getting more are they?
 
I didnt say you were, but nobody is getting more are they?

Well, if you already used some of your data (we're already at the 15th) you get your full allocation on AfriGreen, so technically you do have access to more data, even if you don't use your old account.
 
Might just be an oversight in the ClientZone calculation. As far as I can tell, they are two seperate data links, both with separate allocations (by username).

Perhaps... but, data use from AfriGreen is removed from BOTH allocations... despite the other account not being used at all.

So, I have 10GB remaining, not 20GB to use.

ClientZone is seeing them as separate entities in the remaining data pool but treating them as a single account when subtracting used data from either of them.
 
Last edited:
Definitely no need to shout or swear. I think that only makes things worse, to be honest.

I'm not sure that I have the full history of this to take further. Can you drop me a PM with more information. Definitely want to do everything I can to get this on track for you :(

Like I said in my PM to you, shortly after this post the issue was resolved (likely unrelated, but amusing none the less).

Thanks
 
Perhaps... but, data use from AfriGreen is removed from BOTH allocations... despite the other account not being used at all.

So, I have 10GB remaining, not 20GB to use.

ClientZone is seeing them as separate entities in the remaining data pool but treating them as a single account when subtracting used data from either of them.

I thinks that's a display calculation. When I check on our back end systems, it's a discreet link with full data allocation (which is what controls capping)
 
I thinks that's a display calculation. When I check on our back end systems, it's a discreet link with full data allocation (which is what controls capping)

Ok... I am confused.

Is each account (AfriGreen / MTN) separate with separate pool usage, usage of one does not deplete the other?

or

Is each account separate with shared pool usage, usage of one depletes both allocations?
 
Ok... I am confused.

Is each account (AfriGreen / MTN) separate with separate pool usage, usage of one does not deplete the other?

or

Is each account separate with shared pool usage, usage of one depletes both allocations?

Don't confuse data pools with links, cos they're very different. But essentially, they are entirely separate. The MTN device uses different data pools, and the provisioning of data is run by separate network kit. So the one can never affect the other, in terms of what runs the capping. Like I said, I think ClientZone is doing a calculation, not sure what the logic is. I think it used all active links, regardless of which network you're on. I don't think we had an idea then that we'd be provisioning data on two networks and it's only temporary until we move everyone onto one network again.
 
Don't confuse data pools with links, cos they're very different. But essentially, they are entirely separate. The MTN device uses different data pools, and the provisioning of data is run by separate network kit. So the one can never affect the other, in terms of what runs the capping. Like I said, I think ClientZone is doing a calculation, not sure what the logic is. I think it used all active links, regardless of which network you're on. I don't think we had an idea then that we'd be provisioning data on two networks and it's only temporary until we move everyone onto one network again.

Well, for me, they are affecting each other directly.

Usage of the AfriGreen depletes the MTN one directly.

Same with usage of the MTN one.

They are linked and data use of either is depleted on both.
 
Well, for me, they are affecting each other directly.

Usage of the AfriGreen depletes the MTN one directly.

Same with usage of the MTN one.

They are linked and data use of either is depleted on both.

Are you actually being capped? Remember ClientZone does the bandwidth reports, so what is displayed in CZ will reflect in notifications.
 
Are you actually being capped? Remember ClientZone does the bandwidth reports, so what is displayed in CZ will reflect in notifications.

I am not being capped yet, I have data available. Just how much is where the confusion is coming in.

I was querying the clientzone reporting of available data versus what I actually have to use.

Clienzone seems to be adding the AfriGreen and MTN data pools as available data, however, the use of either of these accounts depletes both available data pools. Whatever is used in one account reflects as usage in both accounts.

So, I have actually 10GB available whereas clientzone reports 20GB.

I am even more confused.
 
We generally find that running passthrough returns different results to actually changing your username in the router. Looks to me like this might be how this test was run. Can you please test with details in your router so we can see full trace route, including your exchange?

I log into router, I change username & password, I save details, I run tests, I post tests... you talk passthrough, I disagree, I think more excuses are just more excuses.

So explain the differences to me please... 1st Stop is the router, then the DSL network in question.

Previous Afrihost Traceroute:
1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 371 ms 381 ms 302 ms 105-236-6-193-esr-lo.mtnbusiness.co.za [105.236.6.193]
3 376 ms 400 ms 459 ms ipc-recieve-rb-4a.za.mtnbusiness.net [41.181.178.89]
...

IS Traceroute:
1 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms 196-210-154-129.dynamic.isadsl.co.za [196.210.154.129]
3 65 ms 65 ms 17 ms cdsl1-rba-vl2460.ip.isnet.net [196.38.72.217]
...

You ask for tests, I provide tests. Nothing fancy, no VPNs, no nothing except stock standard ADSL. If there's a different type of traceroute that would show you what you want to see, then name it please.

However, please stop making a whole bunch of excuses - if things were all fine on Afrihost land, this thread (and multple other AH threads) would not be 200+ pages long already.
 
I am not being capped yet, I have data available. Just how much is where the confusion is coming in.

I was querying the clientzone reporting of available data versus what I actually have to use.

Clienzone seems to be adding the AfriGreen and MTN data pools as available data, however, the use of either of these accounts depletes both available data pools. Whatever is used in one account reflects as usage in both accounts.

So, I have actually 10GB available whereas clientzone reports 20GB.

I am even more confused.

Just go by what is on the specific Afrigreen data link.
 
I log into router, I change username & password, I save details, I run tests, I post tests... you talk passthrough, I disagree, I think more excuses are just more excuses.

So explain the differences to me please... 1st Stop is the router, then the DSL network in question.



You ask for tests, I provide tests. Nothing fancy, no VPNs, no nothing except stock standard ADSL. If there's a different type of traceroute that would show you what you want to see, then name it please.

However, please stop making a whole bunch of excuses - if things were all fine on Afrihost land, this thread (and multple other AH threads) would not be 200+ pages long already.

First hop is your router, second hop is the Telkom BRAS/BNG, third hop is our network. No excuses, but that looks like congestion or faulton your exchange :(
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X