Afrihost Capped ADSL Feedback (MTN) - New beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't get into Gmail at all now.

Why isn't anything fixed by now?

This should be working now, I haven't seen any reports of Google services being an issue - works OK for me.
Have you tried switching around DNS or running any tests?
 
This should be working now, I haven't seen any reports of Google services being an issue - works OK for me.
Have you tried switching around DNS or running any tests?
This is why.

If I could change any one thing it would be this type of reply.
 
This is why.

If I could change any one thing it would be this type of reply.

I'm just posting what I see on my end for context. I've replied a few times (where applicable) that things haven't worked for me either.
Do you have tests that you can paste here so we can look into what's causing this?
 
Been a family member with Afrihost since as long as I can remember, but the last 3 months has just been pure frustration and looking at this thread does not give me hope.

My last phone in to Afrihost help desk was that I was downloading too much that is why I was getting constant disconnects and was compared to a river overflowing...
My line = 10Mb, Sync = 7.3Mb, Package = 4Mb Business on 10Mb Line, Average download = 250Kb ... You do the puzzle on that one...!?!

Thx for the not so Pure Internet Joy...

I am jumping ship as well...

Edit: I have so many logged calls, even emailed Gian, of which I have had no reply to date. I phoned Telkom and they were there in a jiffy to assist. Afrihost blames Telkom, Telkom blames Afrihost. Poor me sitting on the sideline watching the ball being thrown between each other.
 
Last edited:
Hhmm, so even using another ISP YouTube is a bit sticky?
What happens if you use Google's DNS servers?

I'm not using another ISP, I'm a true AH fanboi and much too lazy to go thru the hassle of switching accounts and wait for days to get the line transferred as well. As I said I only punched in VOX's DNS in my router as was suggested somewhere on this forum.
What happens if I use Google's? Hey it's crap. There was a reason why I swapped the DNSes like 2 days ago. I guess if I change back now to 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 my internet will return to crawling speed and YT will still buffer like on dial-up.

I mean the fact alone that we - as paying clients - have to fiddle around with all those cryptic settings and discuss stuffz like this in a geeky forum is not a good sign for any ISP. And it's downright poor for the fokn ISP of the fokn year, dontcha think? I'm a paying customer, usually I should just order my ISP line from you and connect to the internet ... no questions asked. You know in the real world, outside of SA, there you don't even have the choice. You just order internet ... and that's it. Pure Internet Joy. I shouldn't be involved with networks and pings and latencies and shaping, moderation, congestion and all that hullaboo.
 
Been a family member with Afrihost since as long as I can remember, but the last 3 months has just been pure frustration and looking at this thread does not give me hope.

My last phone in to Afrihost help desk was that I was downloading too much that is why I was getting constant disconnects and was compared to a river overflowing...
My line = 10Mb, Sync = 7.3Mb, Package = 4Mb Business on 10Mb Line, Average download = 250Kb ... You do the puzzle on that one...!?!

Thx for the not so Pure Internet Joy...

I am jumping ship as well...

Edit: I have so many logged calls, even emailed Gian, of which I have had no reply to date. I phoned Telkom and they were there in a jiffy to assist. Afrihost blames Telkom, Telkom blames Afrihost. Poor me sitting on the sideline watching the ball being thrown between each other.

Hi!

Definitely sounds like we could have provided you a bit more detail and helped you in figuring out what was going on. Can you please send me a PM with your account details.
 
I reset my router and could get into the video from a FB link but the description did not load, just a spinning circle.

Tried second time and the description and suggestions did load after a while.

However, when I open the YouTube app from the home screen, I just get the waiting circle. Tried a few times now.
 
Hi everyone

In light of everything that is happening can anyone tell me their experience with a webafrica capped account?? Worth the move?
 
Hi everyone

In light of everything that is happening can anyone tell me their experience with a webafrica capped account?? Worth the move?

Would this perhaps not be a question better asked in the Web Africa Capped Thread? Not sure how quickly you will get an answer here...
 
I am trying to find users who have accounts with both afrihost and webafrica. I will post on their forum as well.

As I want a direct performance comparison with regards to downloading, steaming, gaming etc.
 
Last edited:
I am trying to find users who have accounts with both afrihost and webafrica. I will post on their forum as well.

As I want a direct performance comparison with regards to downloading, steaming, gaming etc.

No problem with that at all! :)

I just want to make sure you get the feedback that you want.
 
Another vote for frustrating internet with Afrihost, especially over the last weekend. Google services have been extremely intermittent, mostly not working. Even tried YouTube at midnight on Saturday, no luck. Have reset my router a few times. And why does AH keep recommending Google's DNS servers? My router is set to auto detect DNS settings, which I assume means it uses AH DNS servers, so what's wrong with that?

Been looking for an alternative ISP, but it seems like even the new favourite in town has issues.
 
Hey Guys!

We just saw a drop-off in throughput on our side, we managed to work with MTN and things appear to be back to normal now. Can you guys please test and advise if there is any change.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X