Afrihost Capped DSL Feedback

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
Gian et al

What the hell is going on at Afrihost these days?!

This morning the net is virtually inaccessible again via AH, and my Openserve line sync is just fine. I need to use Google DNS to just get some kind of access to type this. If my router uses your provided DNS - I get nowhere.

Log into clientzone....well clientzone is MIA after one logs in, as well. :mad::mad:

So did your system die overnight ?

I've been a client of yours since 2009...guys you're losing the plot these days.
Oh boy that does not look good, did you try opening ClientZone using another browser? We do not have any issues with the site currently. Please drop me a line via PM with your account details so I can check out your account and figure out what is going on here for you :thumbsup:

DeSLAM

Oh boy that does not look good, did you try opening ClientZone using another browser? We do not have any issues with the site currently. Please drop me a line via PM with your account details so I can check out your account and figure out what is going on here for you :thumbsup:
I've tried Firefox and Chrome , there is still - today - nothing on Clientzone, no place to check my data, my connectivity - nothing.

Once I login - I just get a blank screen as per previous screenshot. If Clientzone isn't compatible with Firefox or Chrome - dont you think its time you fixed that.

If my login works on client zone, (I keep on having to use OTP as well) and my authentication works on the router. How come there is no data or account info at all on Clientzone???

Live chat, just has a spinning load/wait/buffer animation - nobody replies.

And I'm using your DNS routing to get to Clientzone.

Last edited:

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I've tried Firefox and Chrome , there is still - today - nothing on Clientzone, no place to check my data, my connectivity - nothing.

Once I login - I just get a blank screen as per previous screenshot. If Clientzone isn't compatible with Firefox or Chrome - dont you think its time you fixed that.

If my login works on client zone, (I keep on having to use OTP as well) and my authentication works on the router. How come there is no data or account info at all on Clientzone???

Live chat, just has a spinning load/wait/buffer animation - nobody replies.

And I'm using your DNS routing to get to Clientzone.
There is definitely something weird happening here. Please send me a PM with your information so I can check this out.

DeSLAM

AH seems to have fixed it a few minutes ago - but have not provided any reason as to why this occurred in the 1st place. Clientzone is working for now.

DeSLAM

And finally AH admits to it this morning.

We were having problems with clientzone but the issue was resolve.
I think it just took longer for you clientzone to get connected.
No sh*t Sherlock...

You mind paying for my 25 minute long distance phone call (CPT to JHB) to your support team in extra data...? Because the problem was on YOUR end all along.

Honesty is the best way to deal with customers, rather tell them the truth than trying to dodge issues you are having, with all kind of other excuses, and trying to pretend the fault is on customer's end, when you know its not.

Last edited:

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
And finally AH admits to it this morning.

No sh*t Sherlock...

You mind paying for my 25 minute long distance phone call (CPT to JHB) to your support team in extra data...? Because the problem was on YOUR end all along.

Honesty is the best way to deal with customers, rather tell them the truth than trying to dodge issues you are having, with all kind of other excuses, and trying to pretend the fault is on customer's end, when you know its not.
I understand that this was frustrating and I totally understand where you are coming from. But there wasn't a clear indication as to what the issue was. Nobody was dodging anything here as we were only trying to help you. We are just very glad that your issue has been resolved.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Guys, was told my line would be sent to the holding pool today or as at 31st Jan. Still hasnt been done. im travelling shortly, and need to sort this out today

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
Hey Iceman, lines are generally released at the end of the month 31st/1st of the next month, has it since been released? If not please drop me a PM and I will help out right away and put through an immediate request for you.

DeSLAM

Capped, unshaped account. More than 300GB data remaining

No internet connectivity on ADSL - authentication failure again over a weekend. If you phone their support line - they tell you their lines are not working now - you need to use their Whatsapp

- now explain how you use https://whatsapp.afrihost.com if your data provider is Afrihost - and connectivity to the ISP and internet and any software using the net or Afrihost data is not working?

Or does Afrihost expect all its clients to own more than one ISP account automatically?

If I use an alternative ISP (which allows me to type this here) - no problem on DSL whatsoever.

Last edited:

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
Capped, unshaped account. More than 300GB data remaining

No internet connectivity on ADSL - authentication failure again over a weekend. If you phone their support line - they tell you their lines are not working now - you need to use their Whatsapp

- now explain how you use https://whatsapp.afrihost.com if your data provider is Afrihost - and connectivity to the ISP and internet and any software using the net or Afrihost data is not working?

Or does Afrihost expect all its clients to own more than one ISP account automatically?

If I use an alternative ISP (which allows me to type this here) - no problem on DSL whatsoever.
I am really sorry you had trouble over the weekend with your connection DeSLAM, not good to hear at all. Let me look into this for you, please can you PM me with your account info and I will help out right away. :thumbsup:

VoiceEngineer

Get in touch with The Tech Botts who an help you with amazingly priced and managed ADSL access. I think that they are on Facebook. I am quite surprised with their abilities. This is of coarse if you are still having issues.

d.casper.b

I am considering moving my line to Afrihost to try and save some money. Looking at the capped packages I can get 100gb / 150 gb or 200 gb with the dsl line included before it starts costing more than I am paying.

Currently I have a very good deal. But I was wondering if I'm just wasting my time to save a few bucks here. The packages I'm looking at are capped and shaped. I'm currently on a 400gb package with unlimited data in the evening and 6 months data rollover, and no shaping. I don't always use much data, but I do often go over 100gb - I have also used more than 200gb, but it's not often. So I'm sure I can manage with a smaller package. My line is currently with Telkom but I get data from another ISP. I'm using 20Mbps VDSL.

Is shaping going to be a problem for me? I don't know how much you shape, but with no shaping on my current package, I might not be happy if things go slow. Looking at your network usage graph... it doesn't look good. I usually only get home after 7pm, so...

Is there a lot of downtime by any chance - I experience none - or at least it was 2 or 3 years ago since I last had any issue.

Am I being silly?

Last edited:

NetUser

I am considering moving my line to Afrihost to try and save some money. Looking at the capped packages I can get 100gb / 150 gb or 200 gb with the dsl line included before it starts costing more than I am paying.

Currently I have a very good deal. But I was wondering if I'm just wasting my time to save a few bucks here. The packages I'm looking at are capped and shaped. I'm currently on a 400gb package with unlimited data in the evening and 6 months data rollover, and no shaping. I don't always use much data, but I do often go over 100gb - I have also used more than 200gb, but it's not often. So I'm sure I can manage with a smaller package. My line is currently with Telkom but I get data from another ISP. I'm using 20Mbps VDSL.

Is shaping going to be a problem for me? I don't know how much you shape, but with no shaping on my current package, I might not be happy if things go slow.

Is there a lot of downtime by any chance - I experience none - or at least it was 2 or 3 years ago since I last had any issue.

Am I being silly?
I have a "semi-shaped" DSL capped package with Afrihost and I hire the circuit directly from Telkom. At the beginning, this worked exactly as stated: no shaping / throttling on real time traffic; shaping / throttling on automated downloads when network under strain. In fact, up to about 7 months back, I did not experience any much shaping / throttling on automated downloads but then that began to change for the worse. I presented data to prove my point but Afrihost disputed it; so I remain a disillusioned customers on the data package aspect of the service --semi-shaping / throttling automated downloads occurs more now than in the past. On the "DSL mail" side, in the "free" email a/c that you get in the afrihost.co.za domain I experience a considerable amount of bounced mail. Even for established institutions, it can be very challenging to persuade Afrihost to whitelist anyone on the afrihost.co.za domain --*however*, they refused to blacklist Superbalist because "they are a large local online retailer" (who added me to a mailing list without my consent and offered no unsubscribe link; this was humdinger to get resolved; who knows, maybe they are Afrihost's customer). If I complain that my sister's mail from gmail bounces all the time, they suggest I purchase a domain: just imagine, your very own domain for you alone as an individual (!?). Query too much and you'll get boilerplate answers, or after a long delay, "did you get help?" Oh dear, re-provide all the info about my problem again --nobody reading the ticket history; they'd call me aside by HR if I did that in my organization. Oh and I forgot to say, data rollovers are for one month only. That's as concise as I could make it.

d.casper.b

I have a "semi-shaped" DSL capped package with Afrihost and I hire the circuit directly from Telkom. At the beginning, this worked exactly as stated: no shaping / throttling on real time traffic; shaping / throttling on automated downloads when network under strain. In fact, up to about 7 months back, I did not experience any much shaping / throttling on automated downloads but then that began to change for the worse. I presented data to prove my point but Afrihost disputed it; so I remain a disillusioned customers on the data package aspect of the service --semi-shaping / throttling automated downloads occurs more now than in the past. On the "DSL mail" side, in the "free" email a/c that you get in the afrihost.co.za domain I experience a considerable amount of bounced mail. Even for established institutions, it can be very challenging to persuade Afrihost to whitelist anyone on the afrihost.co.za domain --*however*, they refused to blacklist Superbalist because "they are a large local online retailer" (who added me to a mailing list without my consent and offered no unsubscribe link; this was humdinger to get resolved; who knows, maybe they are Afrihost's customer). If I complain that my sister's mail from gmail bounces all the time, they suggest I purchase a domain: just imagine, your very own domain for you alone as an individual (!?). Query too much and you'll get boilerplate answers, or after a long delay, "did you get help?" Oh dear, re-provide all the info about my problem again --nobody reading the ticket history; they'd call me aside by HR if I did that in my organization. Oh and I forgot to say, data rollovers are for one month only. That's as concise as I could make it.

That's concise enough. I'm looking to save some money where I can, but the amount I would be saving in the end is not worth it. Unfortunately, I just don't have fibre where I am. I guess you answered me in the way I was expecting. I've had a throttled uncapped account before, it was awful. My current package as a whole is amazing, so it looks like I'll stick to it.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member

Is shaping going to be a problem for me? I don't know how much you shape, but with no shaping on my current package, I might not be happy if things go slow. Looking at your network usage graph... it doesn't look good. I usually only get home after 7pm, so...

Am I being silly?
You really shouldn't encounter any shaping on a capped packages even if you do get the 'Shaping-Capped' option. Our capped packages have the highest threshold on our networking, meaning that it should be the types of packages to get shaped if our network is under strain.

Here is a guide on how our network operates: https://www.afrihost.com/microsites/network/management/

We only shape downloads and Peer to Peer traffic. Any real-time applications like streaming won't be affected.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I'm sorry that you are having issues with your speed. I'm more than willing to work with you. You can send me your data and I'll look at it for you as that the last thing we want is for anybody to suffer.

I'm sorry that you are having issues with your DSL main. However, I do have to remind you that it is a free limited email service, so certain services like whitelisting/blacklisting services aren't really allowed. I would recommend a Gmail account or a paid domain with a hosting service to avoid issues like that.

nicki

I've noticed bad youtube performance over the last few days, is anything amiss with the google cache?