Afrihost Capped DSL Feedback

cavedog

Honorary Master
Any cheapish LTE providers who dont use this route? Need to reevaluate the backup links I have as since Afrihost switched to Telkom it's all in one basket.

Well I have done some tests and MTN, MTN vis Afrihost network, Telkom and Rain all suffering. They are all routing traffic to eassy and maybe seacom.

London latency will all be around 190ms at best for JHB and maybe around 200ms for people in cpt depending on ISP and routing as traffic might go cpt>jhb>kzn.

If you want a backup maybe look at anyone offering services over seacom only. Not sure if there is any as wacs is the best to us and eu west.

Last edited:

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Sorry I missed this thread earlier.

We are still waiting for updates on west coast cables coming back online. For now, we're doing our best to provide the best available experience with the bandwidth available on our secondary failover.

Please check the website for updates, but I will also post where I can on the forum.

dotcat

Well I have done some tests and MTN, MTN vis Afrihost network, Telkom and Rain all suffering. They are all routing traffic to eassy and maybe seacom.

London latency will all be around 190ms at best for JHB and maybe around 200ms for people in cpt depending on ISP and routing as traffic might go cpt>jhb>kzn.

If you want a backup maybe look at anyone offering services over seacom only. Not sure if there is any as wacs is the best to us and eu west.
Ok tried a few servers on rain mobile and its looking good. zero packet loss to my clients in UK. Time to enable uncapped again...

Samildanach

Hi there @AfriMan - is there ANY updates from your side? I have heard that there is a ship on its way to fix the cables, but what is happening at Afrihost to try and improve service to us? Isn't it time to look at capacity on SACS or EASSY? I don't mind having 280 ping but if it was just stable...

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Hi there @AfriMan - is there ANY updates from your side? I have heard that there is a ship on its way to fix the cables, but what is happening at Afrihost to try and improve service to us? Isn't it time to look at capacity on SACS or EASSY? I don't mind having 280 ping but if it was just stable...

We are running on a backup cable. The problem is that with two major cables down, every ISP is trying to get onto Seacom and Eassy for all their traffic. So we've secured as much as we possibly can to make the internet experience the best it can be for now.

You may want to look at a VPN - that seems to be working for a lot of people.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Hey guys, just posting this update here:

Our upstream providers report that adverse weather in the Western Cape has delayed the departure of the ship to effect repairs to international undersea cables. We currently do not have an ETR for final repairs to be completed.

To recap, both primary and secondary cables failed within a day of each other. We are currently using an alternate transit route, which does not have sufficient capacity to accommodate all the traffic which has been rerouted to it.

In the interim, our network management team have worked tirelessly to provide clients with the best experience possible. Services like twitter and online gaming have been optimised for best performance under the circumstances.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this has caused, and we are grateful for our client’s patience and understanding.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
UPDATE REGARDING INTERNATIONAL SPEEDS:
We have purchased additional international bandwidth on other undersea cables to restore internet services to as close to normal as possible. This is in addition to our existing failover capacity. This means that we will not be reliant on repairs to the damaged cables to deliver better international speeds and latency. Our team are currently working through the night to implement the additional capacity this evening or early tomorrow morning.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
@AfriMan seeing packet loss and increased latency to Europe this morning. Any new issues?
I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with latency Dotcat, let's see how we can fix that. Was yesterday morning the first time you experienced this recently?

dotcat

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with latency Dotcat, let's see how we can fix that. Was yesterday morning the first time you experienced this recently?
Seemed to rectify itself by around 10:30 yesterday. I think someone was saturating Telkoms Eassy bandwidth.

FrankoK

Hi. Hope you are well.

So my cap just ran out : and I wanted to topup , but I topped up R20 and R10. But NO data was added to my account. It briefly shows the data added. And the goes back down to 0 data remaining.

How ever the purchases shows the amounts are added to my Invoices . The R20 and R10.

But 0 data still remains ??

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
Hi. Hope you are well.

So my cap just ran out : and I wanted to topup , but I topped up R20 and R10. But NO data was added to my account. It briefly shows the data added. And the goes back down to 0 data remaining.

How ever the purchases shows the amounts are added to my Invoices . The R20 and R10.

But 0 data still remains ??
Hi There!

That's super strange. Please pop me a private message with your details and I'll find out for you?