Afrihost going down the drain

moorsh

I waited 17 hours yesterday for a response to a fault on my uncapped business ADSL line. Sorry Gian, your 'Please accept my humble apologies' email about your pathetic support service a few weeks ago just doesn't cut it when I lose 15k+ because of their incompetence :mad:

swim

Expert Member
Please don't ever get a cloud server from them (Microsoft) they promise you the world and at the end of the day i get a 6k bill for two days of data that they can't prove that went through our server.

Segg

Expert Member
I waited 17 hours yesterday for a response to a fault on my uncapped business ADSL line. Sorry Gian, your 'Please accept my humble apologies' email about your pathetic support service a few weeks ago just doesn't cut it when I lose 15k+ because of their incompetence :mad:

If you're relying on one source of connectivity for such an important thing (Share trading maby?) I'd have put backups in place

Argus

I also have issues with them proving traffic.
My parents have a 2mbps ADSL through them and they somehow manage to download over 600GB per month. i can assure you they aren't downloading torrents or anything major. they literally use it for emails and my brother plays online from time to time.

I ask how it is possible and they can't tell me.
It is an uncapped account so it not a major issue but still it would be nice to know where all the traffic is being generated.

If i calculate how much data you can download with a 2mbps line i come to around +/- 550GB so they would have to be maxing out the line 24/7 for the month and somehow get a boost every now and then to achieve the reported 600+ MB.

checked the 4 machine for malware, spyware, viruses and no issues there.
busy setting up a firewall for them so i can provide proof that the traffic isn't being generated by them.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
My parents have a 2mbps ADSL through them and they somehow manage to download over 600GB per month. i can assure you they aren't downloading torrents or anything major. they literally use it for emails and my brother plays online from time to time.

It is an uncapped account so it not a major issue but still it would be nice to know where all the traffic is being generated.

If i calculate how much data you can download with a 2mbps line i come to around +/- 550GB so they would have to be maxing out the line 24/7 for the month and somehow get a boost every now and then to achieve the reported 600+ MB.

busy setting up a firewall for them so i can provide proof that the traffic isn't being generated by them.

Change your Wi-Fi password and Enable WPA2-PSK

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

Rather than sit around for 17 hours, why not pick up the phone and call their customer support?

smc

You might want to take a look at this thread - http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/581871-Afrihost-this-would-be-funny-if-it-wasn-t-tragic - Afrihost's billing system is quite capable of generating totally incorrect (and physically impossible) adsl usage data. And Afrihost will, with a straight face, agree that the data is wrong, but somehow still insist that the data can be used to bill you.

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep

Really sorry to hear about this.
As Gian did mention though, we are in the process of bringing more Support guys on board but this does take some time.

Please drop me a PM with your ticket ref# and I'll follow up on this ASAP for you :(

drukkie

Expert Member

Me thinks the old man is downloading distros?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

Grant

Honorary Master
I've also called customer service in recent days, and while it was an annoying wait (around 10 min), I was dealt with and that was that.

My point was that it's stupid to wait endlessly for someone to get back to you. Pick up the phone and make things happen. If Afrihost won't take your calls then focus on that rather.

it's not a case of afrihost not taking MY calls if that is what you are trying to imply - they are unable to try screen calls as the caller id is withheld on my one phone in any event.

this problem with afrihost is well documented & referenced within this section - even acknowledged by them.