Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
My torrents are completely dead.... 50KB/s :unsure:

Seems like it's shaped. Not sure what is going on because started today. Activated a VPN and it's going full speed again. Openserve 200/100
Sorry about the slow speeds, cavedog. How is the performance today? If you're still having issues please DM us or send us an email at socialmedia@afrihost.com

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
Good Luck bro. The inconsistent speeds are killing me and as usual Vuma never take responsibility or even acknowledge these issues. Deflecting you to your ISP like you some ignorant child that doesn’t understand networking.
They will acknowledge an issue only after its fixed until then. It doesn’t exist.
Hi eosman I am sorry we let you down. How is the performance today?

8-BALL

NNTP seems to still be being shaped into oblivion:
1582035189879.png

Exact same but on warp:
1582035242339.png

Without warp:

And yet on Afrihosts own site:
Shaping and prioritisation

• 1 Pure Fibre packages are uncapped, unshaped and unthrottled - There are no usage thresholds so you can use as much data as you like, whenever you like. No throttling or shaping will be applied.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Will test when home.

Has traffic been rerouted over WACS now?

Should we be expecting our speeds to be back to normal now.
Well there isn't a straight answer for that and here is why.

Before the WACS cable break Afrihost used Telkom IP Net for transit exclusively. When Telkom could not secure additional capacity in time on EASSY Afrihost bought temporary transit capacity from Seacom. When that came into affect they mainly used Seacom transit for incoming data and Telkom transit for outgoing data. That mix of transit providers provided the most capacity required as a temporary solution.

Last week Saturday WACS came back online and Seacom which Afrihost still has temporary transit with also switched their WACS capacity back online. Remember that Seacom is a Transit provider aswell as a Cable owner and they have capacity on their own cable Seacom cable and have capacity on other cables like WACS. So the traffic has been flowing over WACS since about Saturday 15/02/20 around 5am or so but via Afrihost temp Seacom transit capacity.

By that time Telkom transit has not switched to WACS yet and were still using EASSY.

I did do a few incoming tests via a EU looking glass to a Telkom/Openserve hosted ip in JHB and from London to JHB via Telkom is now 170ms or so which would indicate they are using WACS. Afrihost would likely switch back to Telkom soon as they have the most Transit capacity with Telkom so makes sense and Seacom was likely just a temporary solution.

Hope that explains pretty much what happened and has happened thus far :)

Last edited:

svenh

Thx for that informative insight, it's not general knowledge to Joe Average and helps to better understand all the related network issues.

Vernon

Expert Member
Just got back from work. Unusable internet. Typing this with a spare Axxess mobile account.

Vicari0

I agree , I was on another ISP ; my iptv worked perfectly. Moved over to afrihost and now I have to use a proxy to stream ...Afrihost , your pure fibre is not so pure ...you are definitely Shaping !
My torrents are completely dead.... 50KB/s :unsure:

Seems like it's shaped. Not sure what is going on because started today. Activated a VPN and it's going full speed again. Openserve 200/100

cavedog

Honorary Master
I agree , I was on another ISP ; my iptv worked perfectly. Moved over to afrihost and now I have to use a proxy to stream ...Afrihost , your pure fibre is not so pure ...you are definitely Shaping !
Yesterday and tonight it's actually working as expected.

afrihost_p2p.png

dotcat

Well there isn't a straight answer for that and here is why.

Before the WACS cable break Afrihost used Telkom IP Net for transit exclusively. When Telkom could not secure additional capacity in time on EASSAY Afrihost bought temporary transit capacity from Seacom. When that came into affect they mainly used Seacom transit for incoming data and Telkom transit for outgoing data. That mix of transit providers provided the most capacity required as a temporary solution.

Last week Saturday WACS came back online and Seacom which Afrihost still has temporary transit with also switched their WACS capacity back online. Remember that Seacom is a Transit provider aswell as a Cable owner and they have capacity on their own cable Seacom cable and have capacity on other cables like WACS. So the traffic has been flowing over WACS since about Saturday 15/02/20 around 5am or so but via Afrihost temp Seacom transit capacity.

By that time Telkom transit has not switched to WACS yet and were still using EASSAY.

I did do a few incoming tests via a EU looking glass to a Telkom/Openserve hosted ip in JHB and from London to JHB via Telkom is now 170ms or so which would indicate they are using WACS. Afrihost would likely switch back to Telkom soon as they have the most Transit capacity with Telkom so makes sense and Seacom was likely just a temporary solution.

Hope that explains pretty much what happened and has happened thus far :)
Thanks for the explanation.

On Telkom LTE seems like they still using Eassy.

My ping to london is 210 and to Marseille France is 190.

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep
@Afrihost-Gian @AfriMan

I have noticed a sudden trend of fibre prices increasing. Will Afrihost be increasing fibre prices?

I have been happy so far but an increase will lead to me changing ISPs.

I would also like to caution you that the price of entry level fibre packages can only be increased so much.

The closer a 10mb line approaches R700, the less attractive it becomes to retain fibre.
Hey chefdude98
I understand how you feel about the price increase issue. The truth is that we have no intention to increase the price and do hope that the price will drop instead. Unfortunately, there are many factors that can cause a price increase, these factors are sometimes out of our control. Nevertheless, our priority is to provide the best service at the best price for our clients.