Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

BjornD

"Pure" fibre 8/2 ...

spdvuma.PNG

@update: Seems Vuma did an upgrade at terraco this morning. Turns out shutdown, wait, and start of CPE and router in order fixed the problem for me. Sorry Afrihost, you good :)

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Thanks for the info, I'll get in touch with them.

My apologies Afrihost, assumed it was you guys.
IF you are in CPT and you do a test to the Vumatel handover speedtest it means the traffic has not yet hit Afrihost network. The issue might still be on your local network and if that is not the case then it's definitely on the Vumatel network side.

BjornD

IF you are in CPT and you do a test to the Vumatel handover speedtest it means the traffic has not yet hit Afrihost network. The issue might still be on your local network and if that is not the case then it's definitely on the Vumatel network side.
Makes sense. Thanks again.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Please be aware of the new AH pricing on Vuma, my 20/20 package was R857 new pricing is R907.

Not upset, its understandable.

Leitmotif

Expert Member
Is something going on with international again? I'm getting very poor speeds, and VPN doesn't seem to be helping.

Leitmotif

Expert Member
Yeah no, this is a 100/50 line:

and I seem to be experiencing some packet loss and occasional disconnects now as well. Great. Off to the support mines.

Luke7777

Executive Member
Wait until you get the taste of 200/100
Any idea why Openserve is still stuck at 200/100 ? I've got Frogfoot running past my place, but the stability of Openserve stops me from jumping ship, even though I can pay R300 less for a 200/200 . Would love a 500/500 or a 1000/1000 though :love:

Also the downtime caused by changing providers is also a worry

Last edited:

joshsparkie

Having the weirdest issue on Frogfoot Fibre via Afrihost: Somehow my traffic is all being routed via Jo'burg instead of Cape Town (from Port Elizabeth) and I'm being assigned an IP address (102.xxx) instead of my usual Afrihost Fibre IP address of 169.1.xxx. Also since being assigned this 102.xxx IP my username.ip.afrihost.co.za has been broken and it still points to my old 169.1.xxx IP.

A traceroute to afrihost.com (this used to be around 11ms)
1585118356509.png

A traceroute fo mweb.co.za (clearly going PE -> JHB -> CPT & also used to be around 11ms)
1585118440636.png

Busy with Whatsapp support and they said they will "sending a request to find out if there is a way of getting it changed or not"

Edit: support replied now and said "unfortunately there is no way"

Edit 2: Now attempted: connecting directly to ONT; turning off everything for 20 minutes to attempt to re-assign an IP -> no luck and got the same IP and still get the routing via JHB; Support is awaiting feedback from the Frogfoot account manager at their ops team

Last edited:

BrendanMc

Expert Member
Is there any reason why one of the ladies cannot access the vpn from her house? She is with Afrihost.
We are able to connect with her box from other sites where its not Afrihost, but at her house she cannot connect at all? We need to be able to connect remotely for her to access the data on our office server.
Thanks in advance

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
Please be aware of the new AH pricing on Vuma, my 20/20 package was R857 new pricing is R907.

Not upset, its understandable.
Hi @Rickster. The price increase affects new sign-ups. The old price for existing clients will remain unchanged for as long as we can.

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
Yeah no, this is a 100/50 line:

and I seem to be experiencing some packet loss and occasional disconnects now as well. Great. Off to the support mines.
Hi @Leitmotif, sorry for the poor speeds you're getting there. Have you tested while connected via LAN?

Leitmotif

Expert Member
Hi @Leitmotif, sorry for the poor speeds you're getting there. Have you tested while connected via LAN?
If you mean connecting to the router via LAN cable, *that is how I always connect* and it baffles me that you folks always assume it's a wi-fi issue. Got a response from your support guys this morning with "Afrihost's top 5 ways to speed up your wi-fi!" attached. Completely useless to me. Oh, and trhe line is still slow. Upload is somehow still fine, though.

If you mean connecting directly to the ONT and trying a dial-up connection, no, I haven't tried that yet.

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
Any idea why Openserve is still stuck at 200/100 ? I've got Frogfoot running past my place, but the stability of Openserve stops me from jumping ship, even though I can pay R300 less for a 200/200 . Would love a 500/500 or a 1000/1000 though :love:

Also the downtime caused by changing providers is also a worry

Hi @Luke7777. We'll be sure to update all our clients as soon as the packages are updated. At this point, I'd suggest sticking with your current provider, especially during this time of uncertainty.

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
Having the weirdest issue on Frogfoot Fibre via Afrihost: Somehow my traffic is all being routed via Jo'burg instead of Cape Town (from Port Elizabeth) and I'm being assigned an IP address (102.xxx) instead of my usual Afrihost Fibre IP address of 169.1.xxx. Also since being assigned this 102.xxx IP my username.ip.afrihost.co.za has been broken and it still points to my old 169.1.xxx IP.

A traceroute to afrihost.com (this used to be around 11ms)
View attachment 806243

A traceroute fo mweb.co.za (clearly going PE -> JHB -> CPT & also used to be around 11ms)
View attachment 806245

Busy with Whatsapp support and they said they will "sending a request to find out if there is a way of getting it changed or not"

Edit: support replied now and said "unfortunately there is no way"

Edit 2: Now attempted: connecting directly to ONT; turning off everything for 20 minutes to attempt to re-assign an IP -> no luck and got the same IP and still get the routing via JHB; Support is awaiting feedback from the Frogfoot account manager at their ops team
Hi @joshsparkie, can you please PM your email address to check on our side?

Luke7777

Executive Member
Hi @Luke7777. We'll be sure to update all our clients as soon as the packages are updated. At this point, I'd suggest sticking with your current provider, especially during this time of uncertainty.
Not quite my question... was asking why OpenServe is stuck on 200/100 when other providers have been delivering faster for cheaper for ages now ? My changing providers statement wasn't meant for now, but in general. I can't afford to be offline for days or weeks between cutovers