Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Thanks. Does the increase apply to existing customers who upgrade?

If you upgrade now the new prices will apply. For existing clients staying on the same package the price increase will only be in effect on the 1st of March.

Johnit

I want to switch from another ISP to Afrihost and upgrade to 100/100 Mbps. I have a good Microtik router, but need a better ONT. The Digital Villages (now Vumatel) supplied ONT is an older Calix model which has a non standard power plug and uses twice the power of a newer ONT; it is incompatible with my DC mini UPS. My question whether Afrihost can arrange for the ONT swapped out?

The standard online ordering procedure does not allow for any requests like these.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I want to switch from another ISP to Afrihost and upgrade to 100/100 Mbps. I have a good Microtik router, but need a better ONT. The Digital Villages (now Vumatel) supplied ONT is an older Calix model which has a non standard power plug and uses twice the power of a newer ONT; it is incompatible with my DC mini UPS. My question whether Afrihost can arrange for the ONT swapped out?

The standard online ordering procedure does not allow for any requests like these.

Morning,

The ONT usually only gets swapped when faulty.

What ONT model do you have?

Johnit

Hi @AfriNatic , it is a Calix 844G/854G GigaCenter
It has a custom power supply and jack and draws 7.5W compared to newer small units which draw 3.5W and have a standard DC jack.
Calix ONT_LI.jpg

Johnit

Thanks - I will apply for a normal change of ISP on the Afrihost website today (from m current ISP to Afrihost)

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Thanks - I will apply for a normal change of ISP on the Afrihost website today (from m current ISP to Afrihost)

Okay great. Once you are migrated to Afrihost let me know so I can log a request for the ONT to be swapped.

Grassnyer

Expert Member
Anyone else having PPPoE issues this morning? I keep getting "failed to authenticate ourselves to the peer". It seems to have happened somewhere early in the morning. Already changed password and still not working. :(

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Anyone else having PPPoE issues this morning? I keep getting "failed to authenticate ourselves to the peer". It seems to have happened somewhere early in the morning. Already changed password and still not working. :(

Did you try to see if guest@openserve auths?

No Auth could also mean an outage. Please drop me a pm with your email so I can have a look for you?

Grassnyer

Expert Member
Did you try to see if guest@openserve auths?

No Auth could also mean an outage. Please drop me a pm with your email so I can have a look for you?
Cool Ideas seems to be working fine on the second B line, so doubt it's an outage. PM incoming shortly :)

minkukel

Expert Member
We can log a request for an ONT move with Openserve.

Using a long patch cord migt drop the optic levels and degrade the line depending how far it is.
I'll keep that in mind. Might move everything to a more central point in the house and the incoming fibre from the pole, to get it away from a tree. I'll see when SO makes up her mind about refurbishing the house.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I'll keep that in mind. Might move everything to a more central point in the house and the incoming fibre from the pole, to get it away from a tree. I'll see when SO makes up her mind about refurbishing the house.

Okay. Let me know if I can assist. :thumbsup:

JonOpollo

We can log a request for an ONT move with Openserve.

Using a long patch cord migt drop the optic levels and degrade the line depending how far it is.
Is there a general length of patch cable you do not want to go over. Remember asking the tech who installed but he would not give a answer.

FWIW here is my optic levels. IMG-20220126-WA0013-1.jpg