Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

William1102

On Vuma Aerial I seem to be getting pings around 13ms to Durban servers even though I’m in Durban speeds are unaffected but is rather weird some servers give the usual 5ms others like MyBB speed test gives 13ms

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
On Vuma Aerial I seem to be getting pings around 13ms to Durban servers even though I’m in Durban speeds are unaffected but is rather weird some servers give the usual 5ms others like MyBB speed test gives 13ms

Hi,

Do you have a trace route to a server that give you the higher latency?

McGuywer

Executive Member
I see there is price increases on Frogfoot Fibre from Afrihost?

Is the increase from Frogfoot?
Your email does not really provide any explanation.

Groggyme

Just got this as well. I have been hesitating to move over to Home Connect on Frogfoot as the service from Afrinatic has been great but now I think I am moving over. R388 vs R527... yeah no thats a big difference even if Home Connect increases their price. Cheers Afrihost. You were fun while it lasted.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member

Hi,

The price increase is a price increase from Afrihost on a fixed basis for all fibre clients excluding the below FNO's and packages.

Vuma Reach
Mitchells Fibre
Openserve Web Connect
Frogfoot Air
MetroFibre Networks (including MetroFibre complexes)
Openserve 25/25 solution

Due to increased operational costs and the previous rand/dollar depreciation. We will continue to review the pricing on an ongoing basis and if there is any wholesale price reductions we will make the necessary changes. Apologies for the price increase. We did try to avoid an increase at all cost.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Just got this as well. I have been hesitating to move over to Home Connect on Frogfoot as the service from Afrinatic has been great but now I think I am moving over. R388 vs R527... yeah no thats a big difference even if Home Connect increases their price. Cheers Afrihost. You were fun while it lasted.

Hi,

Sorry for the price increase. We did try to avoid it at all costs but ultimately had to increase prices.

Jarhead

Hi,

The price increase is a price increase from Afrihost on a fixed basis for all fibre clients excluding the below FNO's and packages.

Vuma Reach
Mitchells Fibre
Openserve Web Connect
Frogfoot Air
MetroFibre Networks (including MetroFibre complexes)
Openserve 25/25 solution

Due to increased operational costs and the previous rand/dollar depreciation. We will continue to review the pricing on an ongoing basis and if there is any wholesale price reductions we will make the necessary changes. Apologies for the price increase. We did try to avoid an increase at all cost.
Excuse my ignorance but what does the rand/dollar have to do with fibre prices in South Africa?

grahammcallister

Afrihost is now between R50 to R100 more expensive per month on my package level (50/50 uncapped) than other well known ISPs like MWEB and Cybersmart; its going to make it tough to justify staying with them in the long run; I'm sticking with them for now because I do feel like I get better service and their great deals during lockdown, but watching carefully. R100 extra a month will come in handy in todays world!

Groggyme

Hi,

Sorry for the price increase. We did try to avoid it at all costs but ultimately had to increase prices.
I understand that price increases are natural but the price difference between the same package at another company is too high. I am already at my wits end with FF so I do not want to pay a premium for bad internet. Id rather pay R388 knowing that FF is crap than R527.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
I understand that price increases are natural but the price difference between the same package at another company is too high. I am already at my wits end with FF so I do not want to pay a premium for bad internet. Id rather pay R388 knowing that FF is crap than R527.

Im also considering switching to that R388 option. Im on the 30/30 option so Ill be saving about R250pm with that switch. Ill wait a few months and if FF/AH doesnt increase line speeds or decrease prices by March/April, then I'll probably also switch over.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Excuse my ignorance but what does the rand/dollar have to do with fibre prices in South Africa?

Yes, I would also like to know.

International capacity is bought in dollars. Fibre has boomed and as faster lines becomes more adorable we have to continuously make sure that we have enough capacity for all clients at the very peak time of 19:30 even if most of the capacity is idle between midnight and 5am we have to make sure that we keep the Pure Fibre uncapped and unshaped since launch.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member

I won't know what the details are exactly behind the home-connect deal whether it's a temporary price to gain market share. I understand why clients would feel that the pricing is unfair and I'm sorry that we did have to increase the price. Afrihost is always in the front when it comes to reducing prices and offering free speed upgrades.

McGuywer

Executive Member
@AfriNatic
Look man, I understand your feedback and appreciate it.
I am pissed at you because here is your email:
Hello McGuywer,

You deserve to have the best experience possible, and this change will help make sure we can keep your Pure Internet Joy flowing.

We promise you that we will never, ever rest in our quest to give you the absolute best internet in South Africa.

Thank you for understanding, and as always, thank you so much for trusting us with your internet needs.

Warm regards and thanks again.

The Afrihost Fibre Team
Basically you are saying, listen this is the new price and that is it. If you dont like it, move.
No explanation, no option to downgrade, no other communication, no mention of the Fibre Provider increasing their prices or anything like that.

TheLuckmeister

Meh, a 50 bucks increase is pretty understandable.
In the past few years we've had double speeds, packages came down in price, and i've had zero issues whatsoever. Friends with the "cheaper" providers experience tons of buffering, slow speeds and crappy service.
I'm happy to pay the increase.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
@AfriNatic
Look man, I understand your feedback and appreciate it.
I am pissed at you because here is your email:

Basically you are saying, listen this is the new price and that is it. If you dont like it, move.
No explanation, no option to downgrade, no other communication, no mention of the Fibre Provider increasing their prices or anything like that.

I think we could have worded the email better so I do apologise for that.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
In the past few years we've had double speeds, packages came down in price, and i've had zero issues whatsoever. Friends with the "cheaper" providers experience tons of buffering, slow speeds and crappy service.

We will definitely look at price reductions if there is a shift in wholesale pricing and other factors. We always happy to reduce prices if they are feasible.

charlieharper

Expert Member

Agreed... Considering I paid around ±R1120 a year ago for a 100mbps line and then they dropped it to R917, the R30 difference won't be noticable.

The fact that ISP's usually can bring prices down (at least per MBPS) wasn't because companies are being "nice", but rather that technological advancements allowed them to provide more speed at same price without damaging their margins.