Afrihost unbale to resolve DSL users DNS resolve issue

Xaze

Your DNS servers are fscked afrihost...
yea. I know that but how do I get them to see that. It has a direct impact on my business which is employing 9 people! I am very worried that it is screwing up my SEO that I worked so hard to build organically

nicki

[-]Xaze, are you sure you have no entries for the two in the hosts file on the PC from e.g. if you were building the website locally and wanted to test it?[/-]

Edited. Cannot be because of above dig results.

Last edited:

nicki

It looks like Afrihost might still have the extremelights.co.za zone created on their DNS servers, when it should be removed because they are no longer the authoritative nameserver, Hetzner is.

Do I deserve a free bicycle light yet, Xaze? :)

DominionZA

Executive Member
When Afrihost migrated my server a few weeks ago i had the exact same problem. All Afrihost clients lost connectivity to my server, while everyone else was fine.

They had an internal routing issue. Once that was resolved, everyone had access again.

Xaze

It looks like Afrihost might still have the extremelights.co.za zone created on their DNS servers, when it should be removed because they are no longer the authoritative nameserver, Hetzner is.

Do I deserve a free bicycle light yet, Xaze? :)
Bingo! just one problem is that you are preaching to the converted. If only Afrihost can see the issue is with them

When Afrihost migrated my server a few weeks ago i had the exact same problem. All Afrihost clients lost connectivity to my server, while everyone else was fine.

They had an internal routing issue. Once that was resolved, everyone had access again.
How did you get it resolved? I have been battling with them sins the 20th June!

Last edited:

Xaze

Guys. I am really tired of this battle with Afrihost and would like to hire a competent person and pay in real money to resolve this. If they want cycle lights as payment that can be arranged. Is there any recommendable professional consultants which I can hire to take charge and resolve this problem?

nicki

It looks like the DNS config on the Afrihost DNS servers might still have the zones configured, which they shouldn't have. No outside professional will be able to help in this case, unless Afrihost agrees, as the config is on their servers.

I'm going to drop you a PM.

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
Guys. I am really tired of this battle with Afrihost and would like to hire a competent person and pay in real money to resolve this. If they want cycle lights as payment that can be arranged. Is there any recommendable professional consultants which I can hire to take charge and resolve this problem?
I believe our team have had this resolved - please try clearing your cache on both your machine and router to try again.
Worst case scenario you may need to wait an hour or two for these changes to propagate.

nicki

No propagation time should be necessary once the DNS servers have been reloaded, unless they only get reloaded every hour or two.

Xaze

I believe our team have had this resolved - please try clearing your cache on both your machine and router to try again.
Worst case scenario you may need to wait an hour or two for these changes to propagate.

No propagation time should be necessary once the DNS servers have been reloaded, unless they only get reloaded every hour or two.
it is a standard answer they are trained to say. That is my perseptions at this time. Surely there DNS cluster will work once the problem has been resolved.

See attached screen shot.

See not resolved!

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
it is a standard answer they are trained to say. That is my perseptions at this time. Surely there DNS cluster will work once the problem has been resolved.

See attached screen shot.

-snip
See not resolved!
Have you tried clearing the DNS cache/ forwarding entries on both your machine and the router?

savage

Expert Member
[cknipe@amnesiac ~]$ dig @169.1.1.3 www.extremelights.co.za

; <<>> DiG 9.8.5-P1 <<>> @169.1.1.3 www.extremelights.co.za
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 52082
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.extremelights.co.za. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
extremelights.co.za. 60 IN SOA localhost. root.localhost. 2015111111 600 60 60 60

;; Query time: 156 msec
;; SERVER: 169.1.1.3#53(169.1.1.3)
;; WHEN: Fri Sep 02 15:30:01 SAST 2016
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 91
Not resolved. http://linux.die.net/man/1/dig in case you don't know dig. The above, has absolutely nothing to do with caches. It queries your server directly for the answer.

Xaze

Have you tried clearing the DNS cache/ forwarding entries on both your machine and the router?
Thank you for trying to help. Yes, I have tried to clear/ reboot/ reset all the devices.

Please go read my original post and you should see that everything works on the pc's that are connected if I change the routers DNS server. in other words if not using your DNS server for resolving the address www.extremelights.co.za then it works.

Again as this works fine when not using your DNS server It can not be a Hetzner issue.

MickeyD

RIP
Me made clicky clicky and the web page appears instantly.

ADSL 4Mbps uncapped with Crystal Web (on IS backbone).

Xaze

Me made clicky clicky and the web page appears instantly.

ADSL 4Mbps uncapped with Crystal Web (on IS backbone).
Thank. but just tested it now again from my house. I have one Axxess users calling in but that could be just life. I know they also use IS.

I can go from a broken state to working and back by just changing the DNS server on the router. Sadly I can't change every person in South Africa who is having problems with this.

Xaze

Hi. I am not seeing an progress with zero feedback on the ticket.

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
Hi. I am not seeing an progress with zero feedback on the ticket.
I believe our team were working on this, this morning.
I'll chase up the escalation :)

EDIT: Our Critical Care team mailed you this morning, they'll try and re-connect with you in the next few mins.

Last edited:

Unhappy438

Honorary Master
I tried from my side and this has most certainly not been resolved by Afrihost, Google dns perfect, Afrihost dns not.