Android smartphones will offer 5G before Apple

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Android smartphones will offer 5G before Apple

Apple Inc. plans to hold off until at least 2020 before offering an iPhone that can connect to the next generation of high-speed phone services coming next year, according to people familiar with its plans.

The delay may make it easier for rivals like Samsung Electronics Co. to win over consumers to phones that connect to 5G networks, which will provide a leap forward in mobile data speeds when they are introduced in 2019.

[Bloomberg]

eg2505

Honorary Master
apple is ALWAYS behind the curve when it comes to features,

they focus on design and aesthetics, and "premium" before technology.

thats why no Iphone has ever come out with a SD card, or a removable battery,

again, if you can afford an Iphone, you dont really mind, youll buy another soon enough with 5g

Dolby

Honorary Master
I'm not really surprised ... they're generally a generation or two behind everyone else :/

But I think it's part of the Apple strategy. They user older parts (ie cheaper) and embrace technology only when it's more mature, so it's not as expensive. Also, most users are happy are happy to have an average phone made by Apple - so it's kinda win win.

wizardofid

Executive Member
I'm not really surprised ... they're generally a generation or two behind everyone else :/

But I think it's part of the Apple strategy. They user older parts (ie cheaper) and embrace technology only when it's more mature, so it's not as expensive. Also, most users are happy are happy to have an average phone made by Apple - so it's kinda win win.
Hogwash, Iphone XS max is using a apple designed CPU, Apple A12 Bionic, Iphone X uses A11 another apple designed CPU.Their screen resolutions and quality blows vast majority of android phones out of the water.There is nothing cheap about them. Even the kirin 980 is a year behind the A12.

You are more then likely to find cheap and old hardware in android phones, then ANYTHING apple really.iPad pro, pretty much cutting edge tech and kicks every thing and anything in the balls.

I can't believe how the apple haters, doesn't even know what hardware is under the hood, I dislike apple but I always compare hardware specs, vast majority of tablets for example can't compare even remotely with the latest ipads, and large portion of those tablets were released after the latest gen apple ipads.

gamer16

Executive Member
Hogwash, Iphone XS max is using a apple designed CPU, Apple A12 Bionic, Iphone X uses A11 another apple designed CPU.Their screen resolutions and quality blows vast majority of android phones out of the water.There is nothing cheap about them. Even the kirin 980 is a year behind the A12.

You are more then likely to find cheap and old hardware in android phones, then ANYTHING apple really.iPad pro, pretty much cutting edge tech and kicks every thing and anything in the balls.

I can't believe how the apple haters, doesn't even know what hardware is under the hood, I dislike apple but I always compare hardware specs, vast majority of tablets for example can't compare even remotely with the latest ipads, and large portion of those tablets were released after the latest gen apple ipads.
Still **** though, especially the users, also fuccccckn expensive and a small part of the global market share, which speaks volumes.

Dolby

Honorary Master

I wasn't horrible or hating on it?

I think it's cool. It doesn't have the best camera or battery or features. But it's definitely my parents phone of choice!

It can phone and WhatApp - that's what matters to them.

whatwhat

Executive Member

It is more than just the A series chip. Before the XS the iPhones were using 2x2 MIMO and only this year got 4x4 MIMO. This has been available since the Galaxy S7 range.

There are heaps of other little things in there that are not current, even on the XS range when you look at wifi, bluetooth and LTE capabilities. But it's really only things you notice if you are into the really technical specs of the device hardware.

R13...

Honorary Master

They may not adopt the latest features or tech but it is not because they wait it out for the tech to become cheaper though. Most of what they add to their phones are their own R&D output so it makes it no less expensive when they do adopt it. They just seem to just pick and choose based on their own "formula". On the other end Android tend to use end users as alpha testers for everything

irBosOtter

Expert Member

Yes that CPU sure does look impressive on benchmarks, but seems they still don't use that to it's full potential as the Iphone XS looses in almost all speed tests apart from a few games. Games are the only App's on your phone that actually needs a super fast CPU if you look at the speed test reviews of phones. (Then again, those speedtests doesn't really use much CPU, opening App's is more storage and memory and not CPU intensive)

So they have some work to do on the software side to harness that full power of their latest CPU's.

And yes, IPhone screens do look good lately, probably cause they now use Samsung's OLED's and finally started to use more than 1080P on their phones, they were years behind screen resolution up to the Iphone 8 plus I think.
If Iphones had all the capabilities of the latest Android phones then I would definitely include them when looking for a upgrade, but currently I feel it's completely overpriced for what you get.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Still **** though, especially the users, also fuccccckn expensive and a small part of the global market share, which speaks volumes.
I’ve owned many androids including Samsung Note, S2, S3, S4, S5, S7edge, Sony Z3, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and a Huawei P8.

I prefer an iPhone these days for many reasons including integration with my Air.

Am I a **** as well now?

Honestly. You fsckers think you are the only people who have half a brain. I like to use mine and don’t some snotty prick like you to tell me how to live my life.

Crowley

Executive Member
I’ve owned many androids including Samsung Note, S2, S3, S4, S5, S7edge, Sony Z3, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and a Huawei P8.

I prefer an iPhone these days for many reasons including integration with my Air.

Am I a **** as well now?

Honestly. You fsckers think you are the only people who have half a brain. I like to use mine and don’t some snotty prick like you to tell me how to live my life.

Attachments

Dolby

Honorary Master
Here's my point ... I've added parts for clarity

Hogwash, Iphone XS max is using a apple designed CPU, Apple A12 Bionic, Iphone X uses A11 another apple designed CPU. Their screen resolutions and quality blows vast majority of android phones out of the water.There is nothing cheap about them. Even the kirin 980 is a year behind the A12
Agree on the chip - it really fantastic. I'm sure you know Huawei design and manufacture their own chips too ?
How do you get the A11 being a year ahead of the Kirin? A cross platform Geekbrench ? You're aware a cross platform test isn't really ideal?
My Intel i5 has different results depending on the OS it's run on - whether Linux or Windows?
And you're aware that a Geekbench results aren't a real world representation of user experience ?

Their screen resolutions and quality blows vast majority of android phones out of the water
What exactly are you talking about here ? Do you have models?
I don't think that Apple have had a higher resolution screen than a high end Android in years?
And their current iPhone XR doesn't even the same PPI as a Samsung S4?

I think you need to include the Android flagships if you want to take a jab at resolution. You can't mention the resolution of the iPhones being so far ahead, and then exclude the flagships? For what it's worth - you saw how long the iPhone XR resolution is ?

pretty much cutting edge tech and kicks every thing and anything in the balls
Cutting edge is a word I'd never use to describe an iPhone. Premium, expensive, user friendly ... but cutting edge?
Maybe you don't really know what hardware in under the hood ?

So features they're often late (we'll put aside this 5G right now) were things like 3G, dual cameras, larger screens, 4K recording, NFC etc etc. I think if you want to look at what technology the next iPhone is going to have, maybe check out the current Android flagships? Great news for you is that tech technology trickles to the iPhone

Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
They may not adopt the latest features or tech but it is not because they wait it out for the tech to become cheaper though. Most of what they add to their phones are their own R&D output so it makes it no less expensive when they do adopt it. They just seem to just pick and choose based on their own "formula". On the other end Android tend to use end users as alpha testers for everything
Perhaps.

But at the end of the day, whatever the reason, they're far from cutting edge and rather waiting for technology to mature.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Haven’t you got a meme for “here we go again. Same old schit every single thread about Apple. Same comments, same accusations, same children who think they are clever because they have a cheap Android.”?

Dolby

Honorary Master
same children who think they are clever because they have a cheap Android.”?
Now one aspect I think Apple wins hands down is their marketing.

They have fantastic marketing to make you feel you're buying a premium, high end device and by default, you're better than everyone else. You're rich and elite.
Your comment shows they've hit the nail on the head and you really do have superiority complex with your phone! It's not a bad thing - I think you're a perfect example of the elitists that Apple are creating.

I was chatting to someone the other day and corrected him on a few features. His reply? 'I bought an iPhone CASH because I can afford to and you can't!' - It's brilliant marketing that works!

Crowley

Executive Member
Haven’t you got a meme for “here we go again. Same old schit every single thread about Apple. Same comments, same accusations, same children who think they are clever because they have a cheap Android.”?
As per your request.
hwga.jpg

And as a bonus it is free, most probably because it's not part of the Apple ecosystem ;)