Aramex global shopper

TheTraveler

Please do it for the team :cool: and let us know how the costs are!

Edit: All my low value items have been cleared from customs and payments for all my high value items has been requested today. I guess things are starting to move now.

Got (normal) clearance today. Agree that it's starting to move again.

johnjm

Expert Member
Well, a day after I log a query they are delivered... They are really busy...

Willem208

I just want to ask: Do you guys think that it is currently safe to use Aramex Global Shopper for my next international package? I have used them a few times before with no problems but I have some concerns now. I really need to buy the item but ja.
Thanks.

Kola_CT

Expert Member
I have a package they cleared on Thursday, it should be here in Cape Town early next week.

They are really busy and I believe it is chaos at customs.

DeeinSouthAfrica

Expert Member
I have a package they cleared on Thursday, it should be here in Cape Town early next week.

They are really busy and I believe it is chaos at customs.
If you want something fast rather use Amazon and get it direct.
If you want it cheap and are willing to wait a few weeks then use Aramex Global Shopper.
Take into account that any place can shut at any time for deep cleaning.

Kola_CT

Expert Member
If you want something fast rather use Amazon and get it direct.
If you want it cheap and are willing to wait a few weeks then use Aramex Global Shopper.
Take into account that any place can shut at any time for deep cleaning.

I bought items not shipped directly to South Africa by Amazon.
Their list of stuff shipped direct is quite limited.

My package arrived in Cape Town this morning so should be delivered tomorrow.

I am satisfied with AGS to date, have used them for three high value items since May.
Am understanding of the challenges Covid introduces for them, other couriers, customs etc.

I notice a lot of complaints on forums over AGS, maybe I have just been fortunate.

ryan10

Hey guys,
I need to purchase some items from amazon.com, just wondering if shipping and import duties will be cheaper by using AGS or MyUS?
Total price of items are around $184. Shipping & Handling is $26 and Import fees are $32 from amazon.com. I'm not really worried about how long it will take to get here, just trying to save as much as possible on costs.
Thanks

Soprono

Expert Member
Hey guys,
I need to purchase some items from amazon.com, just wondering if shipping and import duties will be cheaper by using AGS or MyUS?
Total price of items are around $184. Shipping & Handling is $26 and Import fees are $32 from amazon.com. I'm not really worried about how long it will take to get here, just trying to save as much as possible on costs.
Thanks
Honestly I would just go with Amazon. Aramex are not going to be cheap that's for sure and Iv seen vastly different prices compared to last year for similar ranges and products.

Also anything goes wrong with the products I'd much rather deal with Amazon for returns than navigating it with Aramex.

Willem208

So it seems that most people say that Aramex is OK now, just a bit slower than usual. I have the choice of shipping with either Aramex or DHL international. Which would you choose based on reliability etc.?

DeeinSouthAfrica

Expert Member
Honestly I would just go with Amazon. Aramex are not going to be cheap that's for sure and Iv seen vastly different prices compared to last year for similar ranges and products.

Also anything goes wrong with the products I'd much rather deal with Amazon for returns than navigating it with Aramex.
Make sure Aramex Protect is checked. You can see this under each address in your browser (not app).
You can then ask for a refund on a lost shipment.

Soprono

Expert Member
So it seems that most people say that Aramex is OK now, just a bit slower than usual. I have the choice of shipping with either Aramex or DHL international. Which would you choose based on reliability etc.?
DHL anyday but you generally pay a significant amount more. If it's an option id take it.

Soprono

Expert Member
Make sure Aramex Protect is checked. You can see this under each address in your browser (not app).
You can then ask for a refund on a lost shipment.
Not really lost packages being the issue but more so with returns. Direct returns to Amazon even from SA has been a bliss the last 2 times iv done it.

But you are right a valid option to select that everyone should remember to do. Iv got it enabled on all my address just in case I forget in the future.

Sayf777

Expert Member
Not really lost packages being the issue but more so with returns. Direct returns to Amazon even from SA has been a bliss the last 2 times iv done it.

But you are right a valid option to select that everyone should remember to do. Iv got it enabled on all my address just in case I forget in the future.
How does that work? Returns to Amazon..

Soprono

Expert Member
How does that work? Returns to Amazon..
Log the return on Amazon (if it was directly shipped to you from Amazon, not sure on how it would be with Aramex) but then Amazon sent you a replacement and you have a month to get the item back to them through what ever courier company you choose.

Amazon then refund the full shipping costs back to your credit card after you send them POP of the shipping. Done this with both an Xbox One when they first arrived and for a game controller to Dubai. Flawless process despite the shipping costs being nearly 1.5K through DHL.

Sayf777

Expert Member
Log the return on Amazon (if it was directly shipped to you from Amazon, not sure on how it would be with Aramex) but then Amazon sent you a replacement and you have a month to get the item back to them through what ever courier company you choose.

Amazon then refund the full shipping costs back to your credit card after you send them POP of the shipping. Done this with both an Xbox One when they first arrived and for a game controller to Dubai. Flawless process despite the shipping costs being nearly 1.5K through DHL.
Thanks I'll probably use Aramex global express via postnet.

DeeinSouthAfrica

Expert Member
One thing I must point out that nobody has thought about.
When you use Aramex Global Shopper, they import on your behalf.
The onus is on them to ensure that any invoice in parcel matches your uploaded invoice. If it isn't correct they will receive the R2000 fine levied by SARS Customs.
If you import directly the onus is on you. You have to absolutely insist that the seller sends an exact copy of the invoice he will include inside the parcel. Then, when DHL ask you for the invoice it matches.
If you don't ask for invoice (and there is a discrepancy) you are royally screwed. It is virtually impossible to appeal a SARS fine, and it's usually 2 grand.
The Chinese are famous for sending an invoice for less than you paid, figuring it will help you out to claim the shipment was less than it actually was. If you don't watch it, their helpfulness will cost you a klomp money.
Long story concluded - after paying 2 x R2000 fines to customs (thanks DHL for not having my back), I use Aramex Global Shopper for all shipments. I know for a fact that Aramex were caught out once from email traffic that also cc'd me. Not my problem as I always upload the correct invoice. In fact, I always insist the seller not include any invoice in parcel.

DeeinSouthAfrica

Expert Member
This is why most parcels arrive opened and placed in an Aramex packet. They are checking contents and looking for an invoice before submitting to customs.

ryan10

Thanks, went with amazon directly. At least I know all costs included.

Kola_CT

Expert Member
This is why most parcels arrive opened and placed in an Aramex packet. They are checking contents and looking for an invoice before submitting to customs.

Aramex have never opened anything I had shipped via them.

I upload the correct invoice, they request clearance on that, I pay, item gets cleared and delivered.