BlackBerry vs Google Android vs Apple IOS

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
BlackBerry vs Android vs Apple IOS

Latest Vodacom network statistics reveal a surprising fact about the battle between Apple iOS and Google’s Android

While the resident Android fanboi clearly had fun in making the graphic for this article, it's sobering to think that Apple is holding its own with basically a single handset (iPhone) against a myriad of manufacturers pumping out Android devices.

But it's still a cool graphic. :D

sand_man

Honorary Master
Ja, well, have you tried getting a frigging iPhone from Vodacom lately? I been waiting 3 weeks for Melrose Arch Cellular City to renew my contract and supply me with a 4s.

Do these stats take the waiting lists into consideration??

To me all they indicate is a bias towards Blackberries...

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Apple is indeed doing well with its iPhone, but Android is getting better and easier to use. Ice Cream Sandwich is very intuitive, and its integration with Google is superb. I believe the Galaxy Nexus is a better total package than the iPhone 4S, but many hipsters may still prefer carrying an iProduct around.

sand_man

Honorary Master
There's no disputing Android's progress. Not only is it occurring at a staggering rate but the hardware specs some of these devices are sporting is just insane!!

Frikkenator

Expert Member
Most interesting figures, not revealed in the article, are the growth percentages... It seems BB is finally slowing down in SA as well, with less than 20% growth compared to Apple's 24.5% and Android's 32.7%.

I suspect we will be seeing a further decline in 2012 for BB, as I honestly don't think a new OS is going to save their skin. But hat remains to be seen!

system32

Expert Member
Most interesting figures, not revealed in the article, are the growth percentages... It seems BB is finally slowing down in SA as well, with less than 20% growth compared to Apple's 24.5% and Android's 32.7%.

I suspect we will be seeing a further decline in 2012 for BB, as I honestly don't think a new OS is going to save their skin. But hat remains to be seen!

The %growth is particular telling.

And in related news about BB - they are really struggling:
"RIM appoints new CEO as Lazaridis, Basillie out"
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/business/41869-rim-appoints-new-ceo-as-lazaridis-basillie-out.html

"Research without Motion: Old guys replaced by new old guy"
http://www.bgr.com/2012/01/23/research-without-motion-old-guys-replaced-by-new-old-guy/

"Android market share double that of iPhone in U.S."
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/quick...arket-share-double-that-of-iphone-in-u-s.html

Last edited:

Frikkenator

Expert Member
The %growth is particular telling.

And in related news about BB - they are really struggling:
"RIM appoints new CEO as Lazaridis, Basillie out"
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/business/41869-rim-appoints-new-ceo-as-lazaridis-basillie-out.html

"Research without Motion: Old guys replaced by new old guy"
http://www.bgr.com/2012/01/23/research-without-motion-old-guys-replaced-by-new-old-guy/

"Android market share double that of iPhone in U.S."
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/quick...arket-share-double-that-of-iphone-in-u-s.html

In this case, new CEO = fall guy.

Anyone who thinks that there is not a need for drastic change is clearly delusional.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
In this case, new CEO = fall guy.

Anyone who thinks that there is not a need for drastic change is clearly delusional.

Agreed, 1st thing I would do as CEO is focus on the strong and forget the weak.

Focus on BBM and make it available for other platforms for a fee. Keep it free on your phones, build a better social presence with BBM something like Instagram/Facebook and Twitter rolled into one.... you know like in innovate?

Not go "oh we fine" we just have to invest into marketing....

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Apple is indeed doing well with its iPhone, but Android is getting better and easier to use. Ice Cream Sandwich is very intuitive, and its integration with Google is superb. I believe the Galaxy Nexus is a better total package than the iPhone 4S, but many hipsters may still prefer carrying an iProduct around.

The Galaxy Nexus might well trump the iPhone on a per device level (I'm not 100% convinced yet) but the Apple Eco-system is still substantially more integrated and slick than anything Android can offer at this point.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Ja, well, have you tried getting a frigging iPhone from Vodacom lately? I been waiting 3 weeks for Melrose Arch Cellular City to renew my contract and supply me with a 4s.

Do these stats take the waiting lists into consideration??

To me all they indicate is a bias towards Blackberries...

Why would Apple have a bias towards Blackberries? :confused:

Last edited:

koeksGHT

Dealer
I really don't care about smart phones anymore until data prices come down! Or at least some decent packages like R100 for 3GBpm or something similar and sustainable.

Moving away from blackberry for me would mean my phone bill would almost double or triple even though bis is getting to a point where dial up is better..

Elimentals

Honorary Master
I really don't care about smart phones anymore until data prices come down! Or at least some decent packages like R100 for 3GBpm or something similar and sustainable.

Moving away from blackberry for me would mean my phone bill would almost double or triple even though bis is getting to a point where dial up is better..

Well, I hope for your sake that Blackberry 10's dropping of BES in favour for Exchange Active Sync or the resent stock prices change as both are a thread to BIS in the future.

bboy

Expert Member
Cheaper phones are obviously going to sell more, very same reason we have a million citi golfs running around the country.

Frikkenator

Expert Member

How do you even use 3GB on your phone in a month?! (Remember BIS does not cover any data when using your phone as a modem)

Frikkenator

Expert Member
Agreed, 1st thing I would do as CEO is focus on the strong and forget the weak.

Focus on BBM and make it available for other platforms for a fee. Keep it free on your phones, build a better social presence with BBM something like Instagram/Facebook and Twitter rolled into one.... you know like in innovate?

Not go "oh we fine" we just have to invest into marketing....

Exactly! Marketing is the one thing I think they're actually getting right without having to change anything. People just don't want BBs anymore, and you can't blame them!

koeksGHT

Dealer
How do you even use 3GB on your phone in a month?! (Remember BIS does not cover any data when using your phone as a modem)

Well I use my ipad for youtube and I can actually use a lot of cap on it. Even up to 8GB so if there was a cheaper data packages I would get an iphone or sgs2. Unfortunately I only about 1GB on my bb every month according to the data monitoring app.

news24

Expert Member
Cheaper phones are obviously going to sell more, very same reason we have a million citi golfs running around the country.

Not necessarily, cheaper does not always equal volume. There are cheaper Android handsets on the market, sub R1000.

About the car analogy, Cherry QQ is cheaper but its not outselling Toyota Hilux, same-thing for Tata Telcoline. :p

Nether

Expert Member
I believe the reason why Android market share isn't as high as in the US is mainly due to our data charges, its expensive, and people who buy iPhone usually have more money to spend on data bundles.

BIS is keeping our BB community afloat in my opinion. If it was capped as we are...