Capped Vs Uncapped Fibre

nbruwer

Hi,

I would like to know if in fact the Capped options in UNTHROTTLED and UnCapped is Throttled?

Looking to get capped unshaped/unthrottled is that the case with the Capped options?

Vodacom has a 100/100 500gb CAPPED option for like just of 1k.

The issues that I see is once you select an ISP it is very hard to change? Also, they nail you with the Additional costs for the Router if you decide to move, even though they SAY it is Month to Month.

SwaarMetaal

I've had a 100Mbps (100 down / 50 up) uncapped fibre account with Telkom for about 8 months now and have never been throttled. I average about 600 / 700GB per month with my highest being 1.2TB. It's R1700 per month.

Most of my big downloads (PS4 / Xbox One games and updates) are done between 00:00 and 07:00.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Hi,

I would like to know if in fact the Capped options in UNTHROTTLED and UnCapped is Throttled?

Looking to get capped unshaped/unthrottled is that the case with the Capped options?

The issues that I see is once you select an ISP it is very hard to change? Also, they nail you with the Additional costs for the Router if you decide to move, even though they SAY it is Month to Month.
What fibre network provider covers you? Why have you chosen Vodacom as ISP? Also not all uncapped is throttled especially on fibre. ISP's like Cool Ideas, Supersonic, Websquad, Home-connect, Rocketnet, C-fibre just to mention a few is ALL unshaped, Uncapped and unthrottled.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
If your ISP is giving you an option of capped or uncapped, they're trying to fleece you. Unless you're in the middle of nowhere and getting internet to you is extremely expensive (unfortunately this is a real issue in SA) and capped internet is the only way to protect the network and recoup costs, there is no reason to cap users anymore.

I highly doubt that any of the providers selling you capped packages apply any sort of priority on the bandwidth either - they simply don't need to.

nbruwer

What fibre network provider covers you? Why have you chosen Vodacom as ISP? Also not all uncapped is throttled especially on fibre. ISP's like Cool Ideas, Supersonic, Websquad, Home-connect, Rocketnet, C-fibre just to mention a few is ALL unshaped, Uncapped and unthrottled.
Thanks Bud, that is what I thought, in ADSL I feel Capped was unshaped and Uncapped was shaped. But who know if that was actually true LOL

I was thinking of going with Supersonic, they seem to have good reviews.

Any suggestions, I am looking for 100/100

cavedog

Honorary Master
Thanks Bud, that is what I thought, in ADSL I feel Capped was unshaped and Uncapped was shaped. But who know if that was actually true LOL

I was thinking of going with Supersonic, they seem to have good reviews.

Any suggestions, I am looking for 100/100
Who is the fibre network provider?

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
I have the Vodacom 10/5 uncapped fibre line and they told me before hand that I will be throttled after 350 gb of usage. (Will see if this is true since I am in a small area and my uncapped throttled Telkom adsl line was never throttled no matter my usage.)

I am fine with this. At least they were open about it.
Once I reach my throttle limit and speed gets dropped my ping will still be fine for gaming.
Even with a throttled line I still do not see the point of a capped line.

cavedog

Honorary Master
On Vumatel you have soooooo many options. Some will obviously cover the Vumatel installation BUT that comes with some sort of clawback if cancelled after a certain number of months or a fixed term contract.

Supersonic installs free and offer 1 month free but you need to stay for at least 24 months or cancel any time and pay a pro rata amount of the installation back. So if you want to pay the R1725 installation then you are free of any contracts.

There are quite a big list of decent ISP's that offer completely uncapped, unshaped and unthrottled fibre. Vodacom has clear throttle limits set in their terms so if you going to use more than those which are pretty low then I won't recommend them. The FUP is 1.1TB on Vodacom for the 100/100 line then you are throttled to 2Mbps for the rest of the month. Might seem a lot but just forgetting a torrent seeding overnight one night will probably eat more than half the FUP. Rather go for completely uncapped.

Cool Ideas - Reps here on forum. Best network on MYBB
Websquad - Reps on forum with decent network.
Supersonic - 1 free month free installation. 2nd Best on mybb
C-Fibre - 3 months free + free installation
Home-Connect - Listed 3rd best ISP on MYBB
Accelerit - Rep on forum
Nepic
Evonet - Using SACS for low pings to BR
Rocketnet - Rep on forum
Packetsky
Macrolan - Free installation apparently
BitCo - Decent reputable ISP that was doing business mostly but now FTTH too
ActiveFibre
Tech5
GoTurbo

Last edited:

Venomous

Honorary Master
Hi,

Bitco offer uncapped, unshaped, unthrottled fibre where they have agreements with cable providers.

If you have fibre already then you only pay the activation fee. If not the installation fees apply.
Their router is provided free with no claw back on it. And you don't pay anything until after the service is live.

https://www.bitco.co.za/home-fibre-sign-up-mybb/

m.zakariyya.g

I've had a great experience with Vox on Vumatel. Excellent pricing and they offer free installation (one of the only ISPs to do so), as long as you don't cancel within 12 months.