Cell C network issues... or iPhone 5 problem?

Jeffrsnapln

I am posting this for two reasons:
1 - There are people here who may be able to help me, and I hope they will come forward and comment.
2 - I have a nasty feeling that I may be entering into another big fight, and want a good record of the proceedings.

My problem:
On Monday, 5 Feb 2013 I took out a Straight up 200 package on Cell C. 200 min, 200 sms's, 500Mb and an iPhone 5 for R399/month. Bargain.

Was very pleased at first but a little disappointed with the data speeds (About 50/50 Edge/3G in Uitenhage, and mostly 3G in PE). 3G I might be able to live with until coverage improves, but Edge is simply inadequate. I thought I would give it some time and see how it goes.

By Monday, 11 Feb 2013 I could no longer stand the slow speeds. Almost no web pages would load, even when showing 3G. Obviously this is not real 3G speed.

That wasn't the worst of it though. I found more and more that when on a call, the person I was speaking to couldn't hear me and kept saying I was breaking up. Today (Tues, 12 Feb 2013) a conversation was impossible.

Today was the last day of my 7 day return period, so I went into the Cell C store in Binnehof Centre, where I signed up, and they immediately pronounced that it was the case that I was using (Lifeproof "fre" for iPhone 5). I have read that some people have had audio problems with these cases, but I have experienced the problems with and without the case. In the store, Marlouise and the other lady who works there conducted some experiments by phoning the phone with and without the case but it was inconclusive. We could not get the audio problem to re-occur. All they could do is shrug and say is that "There are network problems...". Hardly a satisfactory solution.

I have continued to try using the phone with and without the case, and cannot say that the case makes it any worse. The audio is slightly more muffled with the case on, which I can understand, but it still keeps dropping out and ramping the volume up and down with it off. The Data speed is also still useless with it off.

I am now past my 7 day return period, so basically if its a problem with the phone I'm screwed. If its a network problem, am I any less screwed?? I am trying to run a business here, and to do that I badly need a working phone and web browser. At the moment I have neither.

Cell_C, and anyone else who can, please offer any helpful commentary you may have. I have PMed Cell_C with a network fault report as well.

Some speedtest.net results from this afternoon are as follows (all within a minute of each other):

Ping:547ms
Download: 0.50Mbps
Upload: 0.00Mbps

Ping:179ms
Download: 0.71Mbps
Upload: 0.01Mbps

Ping:194ms
Download: 0.72Mbps
Upload: 0.12Mbps

Ping:180ms
Download: 0.97Mbps
Upload: 0.03Mbps

Ping:118ms
Download: 2.40Mbps
Upload: 0.03Mbps

Thanks in advance.

Jeffrsnapln

I have just cut up my old Vodacom sim to make it fit in the iPhone in an effort to determine whether my problem lies with the network, phone or case.

Audio quality is fine, and data speeds much better - with and without the case

Speed tests: also all within about a minute of each other and some with the case , some without.

Ping:48ms
Download: 10.40Mbps
Upload: 0.49Mbps

Ping:57ms
Download: 12.17Mbps
Upload: 2.83Mbps

Ping:59ms
Download: 7.31Mbps
Upload: 2.64Mbps

Ping:58ms
Download: 6.47Mbps
Upload: 2.88Mbps

Download: 8.54Mbps
Upload: 1.69Mbps

Seems like its a network problem. Cell_C, you have work to do!!

I'll use the Vodacom sim for the day tomorrow and see how it goes during busier hours...

Justincase

Have you tried Manually switching to Vodacom Network , You would still be on EDGE but

I have just cut up my old Vodacom sim to make it fit in the iPhone in an effort to determine whether my problem lies with the network, phone or case.

Audio quality is fine, and data speeds much better - with and without the case

Speed tests: also all within about a minute of each other and some with the case , some without.

Ping:48ms
Download: 10.40Mbps
Upload: 0.49Mbps

Ping:57ms
Download: 12.17Mbps
Upload: 2.83Mbps

Download: 7.31Mbps
Upload: 2.64Mbps

Ping:58ms
Download: 6.47Mbps
Upload: 2.88Mbps

Download: 8.54Mbps
Upload: 1.69Mbps

Seems like its a network problem. Cell_C, you have work to do!!

I'll use the Vodacom sim for the day tomorrow and see how it goes during busier hours...

Have you tried Manually switching to Vodacom Network , You would still be on EDGE but you could check Call Qaulity, Do the Same for Cell C , Switch of the 3G option on the iphone 5. Also upgrade to latest IOS , apparently this fixes some network bugs

Jeffrsnapln

Have you tried Manually switching to Vodacom Network , You would still be on EDGE but you could check Call Qaulity, Do the Same for Cell C , Switch of the 3G option on the iphone 5. Also upgrade to latest IOS , apparently this fixes some network bugs
Do you mean roaming on voda with the cell c sim? Wouldn't swapping sims prettying cover that?

Software is up to date.

Saman

I have exactly the same problems after porting to CellC from VC. However, I'm using a Galaxy Note 2 and my audio drops & dropped calls (signal instability) to the point of unusability, are confined to my residential area (suburb of Simon's Town). At work in Newlands everything works just fine. I also submitted a network fault report form on 14th Jan, but been given no feedback despite my persistant calls to CellC Customer Care. They never once even returned my calls although every agent promised to investigate and get back to me. Simply put, CellC service is non-existent once they have you locked into a 24 month contract! Anyway, today I called them again and demanded an update, upon which I was informed that CellC coverage is poor in my area, but the solution is that I should manually select Vodacom network on my phone and roam on vodacom's network instead! Says a lot about CellC, doesn't it!
I've taken the advice so my phone is permanently on roam now, which appears to have solved my voice call problem, but now my data is limited to Edge because the roaming agreement between CellC and VC restricts data coverage to Edge only :(
So it seems you will have to sacrifice data to get voice functionality on CellC. Rather pathetic actually....

Last edited:

Saman

Truth is I'm actually in Glencairn Heights to be exact, which means I'm supposed to have cellC coverage according to the map. But it seems CellC is not interested to fix my problem, preferring to try to persuade me to roam on VC. But that's no solution because it fixes voice but breaks data for me. Edge on VC is just unusably slow. I'm forced to use another MTN data sim now to type this. Other networks don't have the roaming option because they don't need it, so please don't try to make it seem like it's something fantastic.
CellC: Please fix the problem asap.

Jeffrsnapln

Cell C network issues... or iPhone 5 problem??

Why are some people getting full HSDPA and consistently good voice quality while others are getting nothing? It's not area dependent.

My friend and I can stand right next to each other on my stoep and he has it all and I get nothing.

mibaksh

from 2 weeks i report problem with cell c network on iphone 5 and also on international calling but seem to be no reply from them ... really disappointment feel sorry that i port to cell c

Justincase

I disagree, Roaming is a Fantastic option if you know when to use it. I am on Cell C using S3 and also have mates with iPhone 5 issues. Signal is lower than mine and phones are right next to each other, same goes for Data. I have searched the web on various forums and it appears the phone does have signal issues but no one will admit is. I checked your coverage and correct it should work. but there are various things that affect signal such as building Structure, terrain, other wireless frequencies etc. have you tried you sim in another phone to compare. I suggest got the nearest Cell C store and ask them for a Network investigation form to complete, Register a formal network trouble ticket so it can be addressed

Jeffrsnapln

phone problem

...I suggest got the nearest Cell C store and ask them for a Network investigation form to complete, Register a formal network trouble ticket so it can be addressed
Been to the cell c store and all they would do for me is tell me the problem is caused by the cover I'm using. I have since proved beyond all doubt that there is no difference with or without the cover. Been using a vodacom sim for a few days and seem to be having the same problem so I have to assume its a problem with the phone. This really hacks me off because I specifically made a point of taking the phone back within the 7 day exchange period and they would not help me. Now the exchange period is gone and I am ready to bet that nothing short of arson will get cell c to help me.