John Tempus

PBCool, I hate to be that guy but I am starting to call somewhat BS on the no shaping on coolideas. :/

Right now up until 12pm on a torrent I am testing I was downloading (keep in mind there is thousands of seeds on this private tracker of which some are faster than gigabit seeds) and from 12pm the speed just went to a crawl on this torrent. Right now the torrent would start off climbing instantly to near 10MB/s on my 200Mbit connection and then just come crashing down and stay around 20KB/s. I am using this specific torrent knowing the speed I can get from it. Now I also have 10Mbit ADSL with uncapped axxess still active (shocking axxess who actually clearly state they shape) but I have not downloaded much in months so I am far below the shaping limit and behold this same exact torrent is running at full speed 10Mbit (1MB/s) no problem as expected. I wont be surprised if the speed magically spike up to 20MB/s around 1-2am, in fact I am near certain it will.

So either there is a really good explaination for what is happening here or someone is not telling us the whole truth. I would prefer the former rather than the latter.

My regular monthly usage isnt much over 200GB on my 200/200 package so I am nowhere near a heavy user so for clarity sake either international bandwidth of coolideas is oversaturated and being shaped/throttled to kingdom come on protocols they deem not vital or it is not oversaturated and they simply shape/throttle it in any case. It simply cant be both nor can this be a case of vumatel peering/gateways/what not being the issue. I dont have any of these throttling/shaping/whatever we want to call it on any local tests that I can find.

I looked into this due to quality of international bandwidth dropping more and more as the months go by since I have joined with coolideas and the last thing I want to be dealing with is being stringed along as things deteriorate meanwhile its all by design rather some failure that coolideas have no control over.

Please enlighten me.

gfmalan

Expert Member
PBCool, I hate to be that guy but I am starting to call somewhat BS on the no shaping on coolideas. :/

Right now up until 12pm on a torrent I am testing I was downloading (keep in mind there is thousands of seeds on this private tracker of which some are faster than gigabit seeds) and from 12pm the speed just went to a crawl on this torrent. Right now the torrent would start off climbing instantly to near 10MB/s on my 200Mbit connection and then just come crashing down and stay around 20KB/s. I am using this specific torrent knowing the speed I can get from it. Now I also have 10Mbit ADSL with uncapped axxess still active (shocking axxess who actually clearly state they shape) but I have not downloaded much in months so I am far below the shaping limit and behold this same exact torrent is running at full speed 10Mbit (1MB/s) no problem as expected. I wont be surprised if the speed magically spike up to 20MB/s around 1-2am, in fact I am near certain it will.

So either there is a really good explaination for what is happening here or someone is not telling us the whole truth. I would prefer the former rather than the latter.

My regular monthly usage isnt much over 200GB on my 200/200 package so I am nowhere near a heavy user so for clarity sake either international bandwidth of coolideas is oversaturated and being shaped/throttled to kingdom come on protocols they deem not vital or it is not oversaturated and they simply shape/throttle it in any case. It simply cant be both nor can this be a case of vumatel peering/gateways/what not being the issue. I dont have any of these throttling/shaping/whatever we want to call it on any local tests that I can find.

I looked into this due to quality of international bandwidth dropping more and more as the months go by since I have joined with coolideas and the last thing I want to be dealing with is being stringed along as things deteriorate meanwhile its all by design rather some failure that coolideas have no control over.

Please enlighten me.
Hi,

Can you send me that file, then I can download it on my 100/100 service as well as my 8mbps ADSL. Also have MTN LTE that get 40mbps

Have 4 devices to download same time

Kloon

Expert Member

Please enlighten me.
What client are you using? I use utorrent and had a similar experience then found the option checked where utorrent manages my bandwith, unchecked and have not had any issues again.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep

Please enlighten me.
Hi There, there is no reason for us to be throttling our users , our Cape Town capacity peaks at about 50% currently. I can understand your frustrations but we need to work this through with Vumatel, we have a couple cases that have cropped up now with congestion on their side. We are meeting with their senior management next week around this situation.

Tinuva

The Magician
Yeah I think Vumatel has grown a lot faster in Cape Town, than they anticipated. People are hungry for FTTH and fast internet here after being plagued for years by slow and congested ADSL.

John Tempus

Hi There, there is no reason for us to be throttling our users , our Cape Town capacity peaks at about 50% currently. I can understand your frustrations but we need to work this through with Vumatel, we have a couple cases that have cropped up now with congestion on their side. We are meeting with their senior management next week around this situation.
PBCool, but who controls international peering, vumatel or coolideas on the coolideas package?

I am not getting the full information here.

From what I have gathered in here all local peering up until handed off to coolideas is vumatels world and they have control of that and then once I am on coolideas network then all the bandwidth is controlled by coolideas.

So Why are we constantly refering to the issue being that of vumatel if right now my problems lie with international speed being a mess as outlined in the torrent message example earlier whereas local south african traffic have no problems at all.

I simply do not understand why vumatel is pointed out constantly as the problem unless vumatel is in control of coolideas international peering also ?

ps. the torrent example, my upload speed is happily churning between 10-20MB/s meanwhile my download is just slammed down to 10-20KB/s. The reason I keep brining up shaping/throttling, this is exactly how it would look if I shaped/throttled using packet or deep packet inspection and I can even mimic the exact same results myself.

At this point if Coolideas is not shaping then Vumatel is before the traffic is handed over to coolideas, this is a big if since I do not even think vumatel have that control but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Bedford

Thanks for the update. That does explain it.

I did notice the line got stable again.

But Vuma Aerial has been suffering a lot lately... I really hope it gets sorted soon.

John Tempus

Just been testing using my german vpn, getting atleast a stable 12MB/s over the VPN to the same torrent. The moment I drop the VPN the torrent would start up to around 10MB/s for just a few seconds and then drop down to 10-20KB/s and stay there.

Please explain to me why I can get such a huge difference on international speed over the VPN if the issue is with vumatel. I will give coolideas until the end of February but I am slowly feeling like I am being lied to everytime I am ask questions about these situations and its starting to suck. :(

oober

Expert Member
Just been testing using my german vpn, getting atleast a stable 12MB/s over the VPN to the same torrent. The moment I drop the VPN the torrent would start up to around 10MB/s for just a few seconds and then drop down to 10-20KB/s and stay there.

Please explain to me why I can get such a huge difference on international speed over the VPN if the issue is with vumatel. I will give coolideas until the end of February but I am slowly feeling like I am being lied to everytime I am ask questions about these situations and its starting to suck. :(
Could it not be the upstream providers that shape the torrent? Seacom or whoever provides the bandwidth to Cool Ideas?

John Tempus

Could it not be the upstream providers that shape the torrent? Seacom or whoever provides the bandwidth to Cool Ideas?
Thats what I am trying to find out. That shouldnt be the case since if coolideas manage their international bandwidth themself they should have control over this however if they dont then what is the point of telling us they dont shape/throttle when their upstream providers do which in turn affects the coolideas network ?

I see this shaping/throttling behaviour on all sorts of international traffic other than http port 80. Same timeframes my tests for ftp,streaming(using up to 10 threads) and whole other bunch of international tests all show similar bursting of bandwidth or just plain killing of speed after a few seconds.

It all screams of protocol throttling to me after many years dealing with same issues on various ADSL accounts and now seeing the exact same behaviour on this uncapped fiber account. The same situation of download affected whereas upload speed seems to not be an issue.

Right now anything other than http protocol port 80 downloads wont go higher than 1Mbit/s on a 200/200 fiber account, this is just plain useless to me. The only reason I have this package is to be able to get somewhat reliable speed when needed but whenever I need the speed for anything other than http port 80 traffic I am stuck with 1Mbit/s as is the case right now and if I am lucky I get 10Mbit/s and as reported earlier in this thread I rarely go over 200GB a month so its not even remotely a case of a high usage abusive network user.

Beyond frustrated to the point where I am during the day on my 10Mbit ADSL just to get reliable down speed and this is seriously pi$$ing me off. :(

Last edited:

Bedford

I have noticed the same thing with twitch streaming. Its so random...

Some nights i can stream at 1080p and then others i am lucky if i can do 720p on my 50/50 package.

It was explained previously in the thread that contention ratios can be a factor, but i don't really understand the difference between contention ratios and shaping and whether there is a contention ratios on local and international traffic (ie can u have like 1:1 local, but international can be set 1:30). And finally, who controls contention ratios?

Back with ADSL, it was so easy just to test with another ISP and confirm, but with Vuma you cant.

Now that i think about it, my neighbor has Afrihost. Ill try and see if I can get around there 1 evening to test.

Tinuva

The Magician
Personally, when I download NZBs from eu.newsdemon.com port 119 (not even encrypted), I easily get 80Mbit/sec speeds on my 100Mbit/sec line. In fact, I currently face the issue that downloading articles go faster than the virtual machine I run it on can decode the articles into files and unzip it.

Edit: sabnzbd by default set to 80% of line speed.

Last edited:

John Tempus

Personally, when I download NZBs from eu.newsdemon.com port 119 (not even encrypted), I easily get 80Mbit/sec speeds on my 100Mbit/sec line. In fact, I currently face the issue that downloading articles go faster than the virtual machine I run it on can decode the articles into files and unzip it.
Thats fine and all but we cant all just use our "high speed" fiber for nzb downloads. Perhaps they arnt touching that port and you are reliably getting that speed.

As I type this I am connected to my encrypted VPN, torrent is going at 19-20MB/s , the moment I drop the VPN the torrent wont go over 100KB/s. More and more I am feeling lied to, if it were vumatel issue or international congestion or contention issues or any of that then no matter what I use I should be having slow speed on these tests but a mere encrypted VPN suddenly gives me the speed I should be getting without using a VPN.

And no I dont find having to do workarounds to get what I pay for as a solution to move forward, this is just meant to demonstrate that there is some seriously BS going on that either PBCool is simply not aware of or not telling us.

John Tempus

I have noticed the same thing with twitch streaming. Its so random...

Some nights i can stream at 1080p and then others i am lucky if i can do 720p on my 50/50 package.

It was explained previously in the thread that contention ratios can be a factor, but i don't really understand the difference between contention ratios and shaping and whether there is a contention ratios on local and international traffic (ie can u have like 1:1 local, but international can be set 1:30). And finally, who controls contention ratios?

Back with ADSL, it was so easy just to test with another ISP and confirm, but with Vuma you cant.

Now that i think about it, my neighbor has Afrihost. Ill try and see if I can get around there 1 evening to test.
With Twitch even using that twitch5 extension for multithreaded streaming from twitch during peak times u would be getting hammered with buffering. I dont even try and stream movies/series from sites I can reliably stream from to this day using my crappy 10Mbit ADSL simply because it buffers on the fiber during "peak" times every couple of minutes making the experience suck to high heavens.

I have done comparisons over the last 2 days with a friend who is on 100Mbit cellc and testing at the same time his cellc fiber on vumatel did not show the issues I am experiencing. I simply cant go with the narrative that all the issues is just some random vumatel-hates-capetown conspiracy after I saw that his el-lamo cellc package were behaving probably as good as cellc accounts can go, not fantastic but comparing his 5MB/s on his 100Mbit fiber cellc with my 20KB/s on my 200Mbit coolideas it sure as hell is lightspeed ahead. :/

PS. Still going at near full 200Mbit on this torrent over the VPN. Disconnecting the VPN and the speed drop and stay under 1Mbit/s. I can reproduce the results so consistently its becoming rather stupid.

Last edited:

requiem

Expert Member
With Twitch even using that twitch5 extension for multithreaded streaming from twitch during peak times u would be getting hammered with buffering. I dont even try and stream movies/series from sites I can reliably stream from to this day using my crappy 10Mbit ADSL simply because it buffers on the fiber during "peak" times every couple of minutes making the experience suck to high heavens.

I have done comparisons over the last 2 days with a friend who is on 100Mbit cellc and testing at the same time his cellc fiber on vumatel did not show the issues I am experiencing. I simply cant go with the narrative that all the issues is just some random vumatel-hates-capetown conspiracy after I saw that his el-lamo cellc package were behaving probably as good as cellc accounts can go, not fantastic but comparing his 5MB/s on his 100Mbit fiber cellc with my 20KB/s on my 200Mbit coolideas it sure as hell is lightspeed ahead. :/

PS. Still going at near full 200Mbit on this torrent over the VPN. Disconnecting the VPN and the speed drop and stay under 1Mbit/s. I can reproduce the results so consistently its becoming rather stupid.
Share the torrent file, PM it to me if you want to - let me test on Cool IDeas.

John Tempus

Share the torrent file, PM it to me if you want to - let me test on Cool IDeas.
Its on a private tracker. There is nothing to compare I have done the comparisons between seperate networks and with/without VPN along with comparing at the same time Fiber with my ADSL. I have enough data to show that there is enough international bandwidth else the VPN would have been struggling. Interesting that VPN on certain TCP ports would behave completely trash on the torrent also, I had to go through a whole series of tcp and udp port tests to find the most reliable udp port that seems to not be throttled. After going through all of that I am not going to even suggest the port I am using because something is starting to stink here and if it means I need to keep using a VPN that is unaffected I would just keep it to myself until this is permanently resolved. I wont hold my breath though, I dont see this as getting resolved until the real issue is actually addressed and from my testing it has nothing to do with all the vumatel issues being thrown around in here as the only reason for these kind of issues.

Tinuva

The Magician
Thats fine and all but we cant all just use our "high speed" fiber for nzb downloads. Perhaps they arnt touching that port and you are reliably getting that speed.

As I type this I am connected to my encrypted VPN, torrent is going at 19-20MB/s , the moment I drop the VPN the torrent wont go over 100KB/s. More and more I am feeling lied to, if it were vumatel issue or international congestion or contention issues or any of that then no matter what I use I should be having slow speed on these tests but a mere encrypted VPN suddenly gives me the speed I should be getting without using a VPN.

And no I dont find having to do workarounds to get what I pay for as a solution to move forward, this is just meant to demonstrate that there is some seriously BS going on that either PBCool is simply not aware of or not telling us.
what is the ip address of your vpn? If you dont mind, showing us a traceroute to the vpn? I suspect the vpn is on one of the free peers at LINX. I also suspect the slow torrents could be because of something else like HE.net but who knows.