Status
Not open for further replies.

topdog

It's got more to do with the fibre networks having issue with capacity.
This is the "standard line", so why is it when you conclude that after investigating do you never get back to state that ?

In my case the iperf tests show negligible packet loss, indicating no issues with the fibre network capacity. Pointing more to an issue with your international transit capacity.

So after all the run around collecting all kinds of test data for you there has been no response, you have simply ignored my ticket cause you do not want to deal with the fact that my case has nothing to do with "the fibre networks having issue with capacity."

image132

Expert Member
My thoughts exactly. The issues I've been dealing with occur most often during peak hours where throughput drops quite badly (mostly internationally though, which doesn't make sense to me why local is always fast), which screams congestion of some type. I've dealt with ADSL exchange congestion many years ago which was a long-fought battle, eventually roping in ICASA to get Telkom to do something about it.

It's so difficult to get these network operators to admit they've oversold capacity as they seem to only respond to obvious faults such as major packetloss. One would think companies that specialize in fibre deployment and operation would be ahead of the curve on these things :rolleyes:
Can't agree more. As someone who's been a LONG TIME complainer on here about throughput and twitch in the evenings. The last week has been absolute bliss. Twitch has been flying without buffering, without the proxy, on low latency mode. Whats changed? Octotel. They FINALLY decided they can't actually just build a perfect network once off and leave it forever. They have started to upgrade it recently. Its crazy how that works, almost as if they spend money, the issue will go away.

This is the "standard line", so why is it when you conclude that after investigating do you never get back to state that ?

In my case the iperf tests show negligible packet loss, indicating no issues with the fibre network capacity. Pointing more to an issue with your international transit capacity.

So after all the run around collecting all kinds of test data for you there has been no response, you have simply ignored my ticket cause you do not want to deal with the fact that my case has nothing to do with "the fibre networks having issue with capacity."
I don't what FNO you with but as someone who's suffered under the thumb of Octotel's quite frankly negligence I can tell you that unless you have a FNO who is extremely active in monitoring and upgrading their network you're going to have issues. It's taken Octotel 6 months to admit they have issues on their network and start doing something about it. I can also tell you it causes WEIRD issues. You'd think that congestion would cause ping increases and packet loss but locally (within cape town) I had 0.5% - 5% packet loss and international was sitting at like 0.75% constant. Twitch still would not work. I have no idea why international packet loss was so much less but there it is. Also ping only increased marginally, from 141 to 143 yet like clock work between 6-11pm twitch would not work. In the time we've been fighting Octotel about this I've seen lots of Octotel customers leave CISP to only have the exact same issues with their new ISP.

I can't and won't defend CISP's ticket/support system. Its bad and something they need to fix ASAP. If that's reason enough for you to leave, I won't try dissuade you. All I can say is @TheRoDent has been championing our cause with Octotel and without his help I don't think Octotel would be upgrading their network as they are. He went as far as sending me a black box that connects directly to my ONT with my router connecting to it in a pass through so that he can run tests directly on my line to show Octotel undeniable issues with their network.

My 2c.

Sabre

Internet in lonehill (MTN fiber) down again, 5 times in April, 2nd time in May already (and its only the 3rd May) ... #COOL-20190503-261360

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep

The only time we are seeing this is in Cape Town on Frogfoots network which we have pretty much narrowed down.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Well it wasn’t me that called it was my IT guy, he hung up after hearing he was 88 in the queue.
When there is an outage the phone queues obviously go crazy, the outage was for about 20min. Did your service recover?

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
My thoughts exactly. The issues I've been dealing with occur most often during peak hours where throughput drops quite badly (mostly internationally though, which doesn't make sense to me why local is always fast), which screams congestion of some type. I've dealt with ADSL exchange congestion many years ago which was a long-fought battle, eventually roping in ICASA to get Telkom to do something about it.

It's so difficult to get these network operators to admit they've oversold capacity as they seem to only respond to obvious faults such as major packetloss. One would think companies that specialize in fibre deployment and operation would be ahead of the curve on these things :rolleyes:
There are two entities at play. The fibre provider and the ISP. The fibre provider backhauls to a POP and the fibre ISP takes over from the POP.
Any congestion on the fibre provider backhaul will result in packet loss which impacts latency. This results in slower throughput to hosts further away than those that are closer. This lowers throughput on international versus local as you have described.
Fibre providers give limited or no troubleshooting information to the ISPs. You basically need to glove up and stick your arm - well you know what I mean....
It is no different in actual fact than DSLAM congestion (just a bigger fire hose). This is called broadband as there is no quality and packets are dropped typically based on capacity being exceeded. Not always on the upstream ISP side.
The ISP takes ownership of the process so just give them a gap to glove up.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Referred someone else that is covered by Openserve to signup with Cool Ideas. Connect team on the phone is 30min+ waiting time. So helped him at work to sign up yesterday morning. 2 working days no response from Cool Ideas.... :rolleyes:

blunt

Expert Member
The only time we are seeing this is in Cape Town on Frogfoots network which we have pretty much narrowed down.
Thinking of signing my parents up at the end of the month when frogfoot finishes in their area - what are the issues on FF with CI?

Snizl3

Any known issues with the network? Little Falls - vuma aerial.
Haven't been able to stream to Twitch since yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.