Status
Not open for further replies.
I focus on twitch because its the streaming service I use the most. I enjoy some online gaming with my friends and watching twitch. If you look at my ticket twitch was the original reason I opened my ticket. Then we found all this packet loss.... General internet use is significantly better since Octotel have fixed whatever it was that was causing the large amounts of packet loss, I'm assuming because there are less re-transmits to sites. Speedtests are miles better, like night and day.

Here are the tests I did tonight this is going to be a MASSIVELY long post though:

8:45PM

Connecting to host iperf.cisp.co.za, port 17001
Reverse mode, remote host iperf.cisp.co.za is sending
[ 4] local 192.168.1.247 port 61539 connected to 172.104.157.197 port 17001
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 116 and received packet = 123 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 117 and received packet = 124 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 118 and received packet = 124 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 119 and received packet = 124 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 120 and received packet = 125 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 121 and received packet = 125 AND SP = 4
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth Jitter Lost/Total Datagrams
[ 4] 0.00-1.00 sec 9.72 MBytes 81.5 Mbits/sec 0.156 ms 45/1283 (3.5%)
[ 4] 1.00-2.00 sec 9.54 MBytes 80.0 Mbits/sec 0.188 ms 0/1221 (0%)
[ 4] 2.00-3.00 sec 9.53 MBytes 79.9 Mbits/sec 0.150 ms 1/1221 (0.082%)
[ 4] 3.00-4.00 sec 9.53 MBytes 79.9 Mbits/sec 0.196 ms 0/1220 (0%)
[ 4] 4.00-5.00 sec 9.52 MBytes 79.8 Mbits/sec 0.150 ms 3/1221 (0.25%)
[ 4] 5.00-6.00 sec 9.52 MBytes 79.9 Mbits/sec 0.202 ms 1/1220 (0.082%)
[ 4] 6.00-7.00 sec 9.51 MBytes 79.8 Mbits/sec 0.168 ms 2/1219 (0.16%)
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9316 and received packet = 9323 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9317 and received packet = 9323 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9318 and received packet = 9323 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9319 and received packet = 9323 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9320 and received packet = 9323 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9321 and received packet = 9324 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9322 and received packet = 9325 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9420 and received packet = 9430 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9421 and received packet = 9431 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9422 and received packet = 9432 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9423 and received packet = 9433 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9434 and received packet = 9443 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9424 and received packet = 9443 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9435 and received packet = 9444 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9425 and received packet = 9444 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9426 and received packet = 9444 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9436 and received packet = 9444 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9445 and received packet = 9451 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9427 and received packet = 9451 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9437 and received packet = 9451 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9449 and received packet = 9452 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9438 and received packet = 9452 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9428 and received packet = 9453 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9439 and received packet = 9454 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9429 and received packet = 9454 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9440 and received packet = 9454 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9446 and received packet = 9455 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9441 and received packet = 9455 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9442 and received packet = 9456 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9447 and received packet = 9456 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9450 and received packet = 9456 AND SP = 4
iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 9448 and received packet = 9456 AND SP = 4
[ 4] 7.00-8.00 sec 9.52 MBytes 79.9 Mbits/sec 0.144 ms 36/1223 (2.9%)
[ 4] 8.00-9.00 sec 9.51 MBytes 79.8 Mbits/sec 0.175 ms 4/1221 (0.33%)
[ 4] 9.00-10.00 sec 9.54 MBytes 80.0 Mbits/sec 0.164 ms 0/1221 (0%)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth Jitter Lost/Total Datagrams
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 97.3 MBytes 81.6 Mbits/sec 0.171 ms 93/12458 (0.75%)
[ 4] Sent 12458 datagrams
[SUM] 0.0-10.0 sec 38 datagrams received out-of-order

iperf Done.

I'm just going to PM the rest to you. I don't want to make 50 posts following each other.

Thanks, iperf.cisp.co.za is international so that is pretty awesome stats compared to what it used to be and is kind of acceptable considering an international test. Would love to see UDP to trcvmh01.cisp.co.za...

Something definitely seems to have changed.

Edit: Got your PM's your line is near perfect now!
 
Thanks, iperf.cisp.co.za is international so that is pretty awesome stats compared to what it used to be and is kind of acceptable considering an international test. Would love to see UDP to trcvmh01.cisp.co.za...

Something definitely seems to have changed.

Edit: Got your PM's your line is near perfect now!

Yup those speeds are awesome! Do you have any idea what Octotel changed? I'd love to know what was wrong.

Are the "out of order" packets anything to worry about because I see a heck ton of them.
 
Yup those speeds are awesome! Do you have any idea what Octotel changed? I'd love to know what was wrong.

Are the "out of order" packets anything to worry about because I see a heck ton of them.

As per PM, out of order is not a concern, TCP will normally re-order them and it's a general artifact of the internet that packets will arrive out-of-order, generally within milliseconds of another.

I have had ZERO feedback from Octotel, as to any changes or upgrades, as is usual. I will definately be on them to find out "what changed", since we've done absolutely ZILCH on our side.
 
Please PM your account details, and tickets logged and I will look into it. If whipping is required I will do so, but so far you have not given me anything concrete.

I copied you into the pm with Paul and sent you a direct pm earlier as well.
 
One thing I can say is that VODs on Twitch load way quicker and do not buffer at all with the proxy ON, and general browsing seems a bit snappier (but I'll have to test more to confirm).

VODs are usually pulled from a (what seems to be) local cloudflare server, but suffers with sustained throughput resulting in buffering. When using the proxy it simply works better and faster... Not sure exactly what that indicates.
 
As per PM, out of order is not a concern, TCP will normally re-order them and it's a general artifact of the internet that packets will arrive out-of-order, generally within milliseconds of another.

I have had ZERO feedback from Octotel, as to any changes or upgrades, as is usual. I will definately be on them to find out "what changed", since we've done absolutely ZILCH on our side.

Thank you. I really appreciate your help, you've been a shock trooper helping me sort this out.

Now we just gotta get twitch working and my new line needs to pass the Sunday test and I will happily close my ticket.
 
One thing I can say is that VODs on Twitch load way quicker and do not buffer at all with the proxy ON, and general browsing seems a bit snappier (but I'll have to test more to confirm).

VODs are usually pulled from a (what seems to be) local cloudflare server, but suffers with sustained throughput resulting in buffering. When using the proxy it simply works better and faster... Not sure exactly what that indicates.

If you have an IP, or hostname that would help.
 
@TheRoDent Not sure what you changed or reverted on your side with Twitch. But tonight I didn't use the proxy and compared to how it used to be it was definitely a lot better. There were still a few buffering instances where the throughput would dip dramatically like i have shown in the graphs before, but not as often or as bad as usual.

Will continue to test this weekend, but proxy is still showing better results.
And at least for me, webpages load faster over the proxy than not.
 
@TheRoDent Not sure what you changed or reverted on your side with Twitch. But tonight I didn't use the proxy and compared to how it used to be it was definitely a lot better. There were still a few buffering instances where the throughput would dip dramatically like i have shown in the graphs before, but not as often or as bad as usual.

Will continue to test this weekend, but proxy is still showing better results.
And at least for me, webpages load faster over the proxy than not.

So, we de-peered twitch at LINX in the UK, and just shipped their traffic over Cogent and Hurricane Electric instead of the peering point in London.

As for the proxy, it really, just sits in the same network as everyone else. It does have an optimized TCP stack, and it is a linux box. Other than that it routes, and has the same access that anyone else on the network has.

Except it's not over a Fibre Line providers' network.
 
@TheRoDent Not sure what you changed or reverted on your side with Twitch. But tonight I didn't use the proxy and compared to how it used to be it was definitely a lot better. There were still a few buffering instances where the throughput would dip dramatically like i have shown in the graphs before, but not as often or as bad as usual.

Will continue to test this weekend, but proxy is still showing better results.
And at least for me, webpages load faster over the proxy than not.

BTW, the proxy has been averaging 200mbps of traffic over the last day or two.
 
BTW, the proxy has been averaging 200mbps of traffic over the last day or two.

That's quite a fair bit! hopefully no one is pushing downloads through it too often. would still be great to get a proxy up for JHB side so we don't rely on CPT's link being troublesome at times though rare.
 
That's quite a fair bit! hopefully no one is pushing downloads through it too often. would still be great to get a proxy up for JHB side so we don't rely on CPT's link being troublesome at times though rare.

I'll setup a Joburg one over the weekend, but realistically it's a band-aid.
 
I just had my Cool Ideas fibre activated yesterday, 100/25 uncapped. So far so good, but I just have a quick question... where do I see how much data I've used?
I've come over from AH and am very used to the AH Client Zone.
 
I just had my Cool Ideas fibre activated yesterday, 100/25 uncapped. So far so good, but I just have a quick question... where do I see how much data I've used?
I've come over from AH and am very used to the AH Client Zone.

This is the only thing AH is good for.
 
@TheRoDent thanks, unfortunately it's still slooooooooow :(

LoL takes about a minute to auth and login, google speedtest :( the fact that i only get 10mb down on speedtest.net from the cool ideas server is also worrying...

I'm on vuma aerial if that is helpful at all.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 08.10.33.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 08.10.33.png
    92 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 08.12.43.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 08.12.43.png
    83.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 08.20.53.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 08.20.53.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I just had my Cool Ideas fibre activated yesterday, 100/25 uncapped. So far so good, but I just have a quick question... where do I see how much data I've used?
I've come over from AH and am very used to the AH Client Zone.

CISP is really uncapped so no use for them to bother adding any data tracking and no worries for you as a client to stress about usage(hitting different throttling thresholds etc. like with Afrihost)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X